Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Old Jul 17th 2012, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Icecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud ofIcecube has much to be proud of
Default Re: Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Originally Posted by Pollyana

As for the people who say we all have cushy jobs - I agree there are a few people who seem to get by on minimum hours and maximum teabreaks, but the majority of us work extremely hard, with a lot of hours and effort over and above that which we are expected to put in. To hear our efforts rubbished not only by Newman but also by the people who we serve is very demoralising. But then maybe some of you don't consider rebuilding Queensland's infrastructure essential? Or the protection of kids through the Blue Card scheme? Or the preparation of new plans to prevent whole towns being destroyed again by another flood.

By the way, how many people realise that the basic pay of a Queensland paramedic is the equivalent of an AO3 Admin Officer? (AO2 being the basic admin level). Shockingly unrecognised for what our paramedics do day in, day out..... no cushy fat cats there.
Looking at your quote re paramedics does this include all of the allowances they are paid?

Also I undertood that the Government was looking at individuals on "temporary contracts" which may or may not be extended?
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately its what happens when you live on tick and the bailiffs come calling. Some states have been driven into virtual bankruptcy and the solution is always going to be very uncomfortable. Beats me why any politician would want to inherit a poisoned chalice.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:26 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carling black label
If me ass was grass...... well Da Witch wiel be the mower Bro....A ho ho ho......Got a head like a box of frogs, ten stubby VB's on an emty belly, its a banging bro.....
I know that tune
Old Jul 17th 2012, 6:47 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Icecube
Looking at your quote re paramedics does this include all of the allowances they are paid?

Also I undertood that the Government was looking at individuals on "temporary contracts" which may or may not be extended?
No, as I said, thats their basic wage.
Temporary contracts - some of which have been running for years - have almost all been dumped already, that was 3 weeks ago. Its the permanent staff who are being dumped now.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 7:28 am
loz
this is home!!

loz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond reputeloz has a reputation beyond repute

No, as I said, thats their basic wage.
Temporary contracts - some of which have been running for years - have almost all been dumped already, that was 3 weeks ago. Its the permanent staff who are being dumped now.
My OH's departments temporary staff went 3 weeks ago....and the first permanent staff cuts come in to effect this week.........and that is just the first round They are only being given budgets for 3 months at a time after which more cuts are expected....so much for doing what he can to protect jobs.....oh and when asked what effect it would have on service delivery Mr Newmans answer was............in effect I Don't care
Old Jul 17th 2012, 8:44 am
Forum Regular

Bonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really niceBonnie65 is just really nice

Sad isn't it, units like that will bear a lot of the cuts, as they said tonight the disadvantaged and underprivileged will suffer most cos they can't shout loudly enough.

Other daft decisions though include potentially selling off the division that issues and manages driving licences and car registrations - which brings in billions of dollars a year for the State coffers - but if they sell it then they can say X number of public service jobs have gone, and that's all they seem to want to be able to do at present. Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.
Hi Polly

Can I ask where you have heard the bit about selling off the licensing/registration bit of TMR as that is where my hubby works. He was congratulating himself at having gone from casual to permanent last year (thinking his front line job might be safe) but it sounds like that may have been premature...
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:00 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

NSW is a prime example of this, how they havent gone down the gurgler I dont know. It has been announced that they are getting rid of 10% of the staff in the Department of Environment. They cant keep on top of the issues as it is, how are they going to do it with a 10% smaller workforce ?

Originally Posted by quoll
Unfortunately its what happens when you live on tick and the bailiffs come calling. Some states have been driven into virtual bankruptcy and the solution is always going to be very uncomfortable. Beats me why any politician would want to inherit a poisoned chalice.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 9:10 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bonnie65
Hi Polly

Can I ask where you have heard the bit about selling off the licensing/registration bit of TMR as that is where my hubby works. He was congratulating himself at having gone from casual to permanent last year (thinking his front line job might be safe) but it sounds like that may have been premature...
It was talked about by one of the union officials at the rally in Parliament Square. The computer system that administers it is apparently run by CITEC and they are threatened with privatisation.
for your husband

Originally Posted by chris955
NSW is a prime example of this, how they havent gone down the gurgler I dont know. It has been announced that they are getting rid of 10% of the staff in the Department of Environment. They cant keep on top of the issues as it is, how are they going to do it with a 10% smaller workforce ?
That's exactly whats starting to happen here - departments losing 20-25% of the workforce, yet they have to keep providing the same services.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

phat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to beholdphat-dave is a splendid one to behold

this is a horrible situation for families whom have to deal with potential uncertainty however for far too long the queensland government has artificially prop'd up their record unemployment numbers simply because they are the largest employer of the state - last time i checked it was something ridiculous like 145,000 state public servants plus local and federal governments....

i don't doubt there are some solid hard working staff hidden in there however for the most part there are far too many A05-A07 staff on $70-90k that are living the cruisey life meanwhile others are slugging it out elsewhere. those hard working folk will easily find work in the private sector.

while terrible and an initial shock, i'm for a healthy clean out to test the waters... queenslanders voted for change and now you've got a guy with the balls to implement it. at no time have they said it's going to be easy.

btw i have a number of family and friends potentially affected by this and am a queenslander through and through (albeit living interstate for now).
Old Jul 17th 2012, 10:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the increases to the public service in the last 10 years have been in health which was underfunded pre-2000.

Education comes second. (probably due to the introduction of a "prep" year to all schools).

All other public service units have increased roughly at a rate matching population growth.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:08 am
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by phat-dave
this is a horrible situation for families whom have to deal with potential uncertainty however for far too long the queensland government has artificially prop'd up their record unemployment numbers simply because they are the largest employer of the state - last time i checked it was something ridiculous like 145,000 state public servants plus local and federal governments....

i don't doubt there are some solid hard working staff hidden in there however for the most part there are far too many A05-A07 staff on $70-90k that are living the cruisey life meanwhile others are slugging it out elsewhere. those hard working folk will easily find work in the private sector.

while terrible and an initial shock, i'm for a healthy clean out to test the waters... queenslanders voted for change and now you've got a guy with the balls to implement it. at no time have they said it's going to be easy.

btw i have a number of family and friends potentially affected by this and am a queenslander through and through (albeit living interstate for now).
You tell me where people who deal with the response to cyclones will get work in the private sector?
We deal with warnings to local disaster management groups about storms, floods, cyclones etc. We organise the State response to local, State, national, and international disasters. We don't have strings of qualifications, we have worked our way up through pure experience. we aren't AO6s or AO7s or those higher on good wages. Its a vocation, a job we do passionately.

Next time there is a flood and you phone up for the SES ........ just listen to the phones ring out because the staff who used to answer are no longer employed, and the SES can't go out cos there is no-one to deal with their training, uniforms, transport etc.
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:23 am
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

You tell me where people who deal with the response to cyclones will get work in the private sector?
We deal with warnings to local disaster management groups about storms, floods, cyclones etc. We organise the State response to local, State, national, and international disasters. We don't have strings of qualifications, we have worked our way up through pure experience. we aren't AO6s or AO7s or those higher on good wages. Its a vocation, a job we do passionately.

Next time there is a flood and you phone up for the SES ........ just listen to the phones ring out because the staff who used to answer are no longer employed, and the SES can't go out cos there is no-one to deal with their training, uniforms, transport etc.
More people need to learn to SLF(swim like flook)
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:24 am
Home and Happy

You're not wrong there
Old Jul 17th 2012, 11:33 am
Home and Happy

And next its the turn of Corrective Services.....

A low-security jail housing almost 200 prisoners is the latest victim of the Newman Government's fierce cost cutting program.
Police Minister Jack Dempsey has confirmed the Darling Downs Correctional Centre and its associated dairy, south-west of Toowoomba, will close and the prisoners moved to other facilities.
The centre currently accommodates 140 male prisoners and 40 work camp inmates who are looked after by more than 40 full-time staff. Mr Dempsey said the employees would be offered redundancies or the option of relocating elsewhere within the prison system
Old Jul 17th 2012, 12:02 pm
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely that was his point? To get rid of many in those grades who do have the qualifications to find work in the public sector and therefore leave the people who actually do the work to remain employed by the state. He said:

Originally Posted by phat-dave
t however for the most part there are far too many A05-A07 staff on $70-90k that are living the cruisey life meanwhile others are slugging it out elsewhere. those hard working folk will easily find work in the private sector.
Just because someone believes there are too many employed by the state doesn't mean they're saying everyone should go.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.