Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Old Jul 16th 2012, 11:24 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

I know I'm not the only one on here who works for Queensland Government in some capacity, there are a number of us, some more open about it than others, which is fair enough. This isn't a political rant, and I don't want the thread to become that. I have less than no interest in politics, but having talked to a few people over the last week it seems that outside the public service many people are unaware of the savagery taking place on the inside.

So possibly time to get a few facts out into the open about what is happening to our jobs at present and what may happen to the public services in Queensland as a result. Areas being hard hit so far are are community recovery resources for times of disaster, child protection and child safety issues, paramedic services in QAS, schemes to aid the homeless and disabled..... thats just for starters.

The Newman government was elected promising to keep permanent public servants in their jobs. Most of us will admit there are problems with the service; some areas are clogged with red tape, inefficient computer systems, useless payroll systems, top-heavy management to give a few examples, and an overhaul is needed, but the way it is being handled is what is causing the problems - problems culminating in the strong possibility of strike action following a rally in Brisbane tonight.

Brisbane Times June 25th -
Queensland's public sector has been stunned by the level of vitriol being unleashed and many believe, being driven by the government. Public servants are faceless to the community. It’s not until nurses, teachers, teacher aides, parole officers, firefighters and child safety officers become involved that there is an understanding that these are real people and real jobs. They are tired of learning about their future, or their shortcomings, in the morning media.
More job cuts are expected to come. These are not temporary positions. These are permanent jobs, 25 per cent of which must be slashed from corporate office staff. It was being implemented when the Premier wrote his, "Hand on my heart, I am doing everything to protect your jobs" message. In the smaller agencies it will mean a loss of between 350 to 400 positions. In the larger agencies, the casualty list will be much higher.

Thousands of jobs have already gone, mostly temporary and contractors, but he is now starting on permanent staff. Some people have been given just hours to leave - after years of service. The latest rules mean the Public Service Commission will have the absolute power to tell the directors-general what and when to review their agency, review and make decisions on restructures, and the rationalisation of role or jobs.
In addition the new Early Retirement Package has been structured so that there is an incentive payment for a quick decision which reduces the longer you take to make your decision. It also means that “surplus staff” will be placed on a central register and case managed for up to six months. Staff will be offered two placements – assuming they can match your skills with available vacancies - after that there is retrenchment.

============================
So they can walk into the office, move you to a completely new and different job for which you are not skilled, when your new boss says you don't fit that job, they move you again. After that you're dumped. With approx 2 months wages. End of career - and for many of us bankruptcy will be the only option. Our skills are ones that don't fit the private sector, & we can't get back into the public sector cos there are no jobs there any more.
=============================

Today, thousands of public servants have rallied outside State Parliament as as fear grows about job losses.

State Opposition Leader Annastacia Palaszczuk said people were now "terrified" of losing their jobs, with the Newman Government believed to be looking at slashing some departments by as much as 20 per cent.
The rally came as public sector union Together said the Newman Government would use the cover of the Olympic Games to announce the 20 per cent job reductions.
Together secretary Alex Scott today said there were "strong rumours" the Government was planning to widely cull staff, following an earlier announcement that Queensland Rail's workforce would be slashed by 30 per cent.

====================================

Queensland's public servants are likely to strike next month, Together Queensland state secretary Alex Scott told thousands of public servants in front of Parliament House tonight.
After describing some of the job cuts to the former Department of Communities as "reprehensible", Mr Scott said unions had begun the process of getting "protected action" status for worksites in August.
"We need to fight and we need to fight now," he said to loud applause, whistles and shakers from a crowd variously estimated at between 4000 and 6000.

Edited to add - it should be noted that any personal views posted by me in this thread are just that, personal, and nothing to do with my employers.

Last edited by Pollyana; Sep 25th 2012 at 12:00 pm.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 11:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Indeed! Will be interesting to see how events unfold.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 12:04 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

This was supposed to be the Tories stance in the UK, tear apart UK spending on public sector jobs; it has really not happened, instead the UK is printing money to keep the Public Sector employed, so dampening down the effect of a weakening economy, not great, but hey better to keep jobs, than to throw people to the dole queues..Not sure how long they can keep printing to make up the tax take short fall, but hey....

In Qld, well if this is true, it will keep the currency strong by not printing, will help kill off tourism with a strong dollar, so kill off people's lively-hoods dependent on tourists.......If they are culling public sector jobs also, well that will kill the economy stone dead, there is little to look for in the private sector, manufacturing is all but dead, due to the dolllar, so losing any competitive advantage, relative to Asia......It don't look good here in Oz, unless your a miner, or a banker........Maybe, the bad times are finally arriving here, i hope not, having just arrived myself......
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:17 pm
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carling black label
This was supposed to be the Tories stance in the UK, tear apart UK spending on public sector jobs; it has really not happened, instead the UK is printing money to keep the Public Sector employed, so dampening down the effect of a weakening economy, not great, but hey better to keep jobs, than to throw people to the dole queues..Not sure how long they can keep printing to make up the tax take short fall, but hey....

In Qld, well if this is true, it will keep the currency strong by not printing, will help kill off tourism with a strong dollar, so kill off people's lively-hoods dependent on tourists.......If they are culling public sector jobs also, well that will kill the economy stone dead, there is little to look for in the private sector, manufacturing is all but dead, due to the dolllar, so losing any competitive advantage, relative to Asia......It don't look good here in Oz, unless your a miner, or a banker........Maybe, the bad times are finally arriving here, i hope not, having just arrived myself......
Looking round the city tonight at the huge number of public service staff there we did start thinking this could be the death knell of a lot of city businesses, coffee shops, cafes, pubs, retail...all get a lot of trade from the various departments housed in the CBD. A lot of us are already cutting spending to the bone and trying to save frantically in case we are next, that can only get worse.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:30 pm
Mostly Harmless

DeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond reputeDeadVim has a reputation beyond repute

As I said in another thread, the OH got back from the rally very late tonight but hopeful a voice has been heard.

I guess this is the danger of giving a new premier a huge majority and mandate ... I hear some of the problems date back to the Bligh government propping up the public service with borrowed money.

Christ, I don't know but it ain't going to end well ...
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:31 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Mmmmm might stay put
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:35 pm
Home and Happy

Originally Posted by Bernieboy
Mmmmm might stay put

Originally Posted by DeadVim
As I said in another thread, the OH got back from the rally very late tonight but hopeful a voice has been heard.

I guess this is the danger of giving a new premier a huge majority and mandate ... I hear some of the problems date back to the Bligh government propping up the public service with borrowed money.

Christ, I don't know but it ain't going to end well ...
Tremendous turn-out, so the voices will hopefully have penetrated the walls oif Parliament House, though whether they penetrated to his inner sanctum I don't know......
Some terrible tales around of the numbers and types of people losing their jobs.
One guy who spoke tonight works with kids in care - they are in care cos they've been abused, then their new carers have abused them too. His unit got told this morning they are losing 25% of their staff - and he said that means shutting the unit, they don't have a staffing level that can survive that cut. So not only are he and his colleagues now in limbo, but where do those poor kids turn now?
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:39 pm
FREE TIBET

Bernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond reputeBernieboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana

Tremendous turn-out, so the voices will hopefully have penetrated the walls oif Parliament House, though whether they penetrated to his inner sanctum I don't know......
Some terrible tales around of the numbers and types of people losing their jobs.
One guy who spoke tonight works with kids in care - they are in care cos they've been abused, then their new carers have abused them too. His unit got told this morning they are losing 25% of their staff - and he said that means shutting the unit, they don't have a staffing level that can survive that cut. So not only are he and his colleagues now in limbo, but where do those poor kids turn now?
They will be moved around the system,someone elses problem
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:43 pm
Home and Happy

They will be moved around the system,someone elses problem
Sad isn't it, units like that will bear a lot of the cuts, as they said tonight the disadvantaged and underprivileged will suffer most cos they can't shout loudly enough.

Other daft decisions though include potentially selling off the division that issues and manages driving licences and car registrations - which brings in billions of dollars a year for the State coffers - but if they sell it then they can say X number of public service jobs have gone, and that's all they seem to want to be able to do at present. Talk about cutting off one's nose to spite one's face.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:43 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

It all sounds a bit familiar, the signs were there before we left Brisbane. People were so desperate to get rid of Bligh they jumped out of the pan and into the fire. Things really aren't looking good.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:45 pm
Banned

carling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of lightcarling black label is a glorious beacon of light

Mmmmm might stay put
Nahhh bud.....rather be poor here in the sun, a slab sat me back $40 bucks... easy's the pain for two days? Than stuck under the Grey Skies of Blighty.....

I love it here, i want for little, the free stuff here, well i am off the prescribed [email protected] i have beaten the corps already thank f00k....Bern....

But hey, i am just a simple man....
Old Jul 16th 2012, 2:50 pm
FREE TIBET

Nahhh bud.....rather be poor here in the sun, a slab sat me back $40 bucks... easy's the pain for two days? Than stuck under the Grey Skies of Blighty.....

I love it here, i want for little, the free stuff here, well i am off the prescribed [email protected] i have beaten the corps already thank f00k....Bern....

Nutter.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:04 pm
Home and Happy

A simple man? thats what I need, a simple man to go drinking with sometimes Football season's nearly here, see you in the Pig sometime, we must have that drink together
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:07 pm
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I must admit I would sooner be poor here, a box of Strongbow for £10 and a curry. Actually I wouldn't like to be poor anywhere really.
Old Jul 16th 2012, 3:12 pm
Banned

Nutter.
Aye, but you know Bern, these loons; they make the rules; and when one makes the rules, it's a peese of piss this life sh!t....hey? Fookem hey Bern..... Keep it simple, so easy, comp.l.sexity kills the nerv endings.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.