Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Old Sep 18th 2012, 11:39 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Originally Posted by fish.01
At least Newman isn't just cutting vital services.

Funding for fundamentalist christian chaplains from Scripture Union/Access Ministries to "go and make disciples" through a "God-given open door to children and young people" in Queensland Government State Schools has been increased.

(Quotes from: http://www.smh.com.au/opinion/politi...516-1ep92.html)

Well that's ok then.
This appears to be about a federal government policy, no? No mention of Qld??

F*** me...an extra $222m! How much is the total?
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bcworld
This appears to be about a federal government policy, no? No mention of Qld??

F*** me...an extra $222m! How much is the total?
That article was just a source for my quotes. It is a federal programme which has been given the obscene amount of $350 million.

It was to be an opt-in scheme but a huge push by the ACL and others meant it was changed to an opt-out scheme meaning most kids attend by default (often through parents not knowing about the "God-given open door to children and young people" motive of the fundamentalist christian groups running almost all of it) and those who don't are sometimes sat at the back of the same class, on a step etc due to a lack of funding of alternatives/teacher supervision.

Newman added to that in this budget as it was an election promise (to people pushing religion into state schools no doubt). At the same time he slashed education funding right down to the funding for state and private school tuckshop associations.

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 18th 2012 at 12:26 pm.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 3:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Or onwards and downwards, as it will be for many Queensland families.
Why do some people think they have a job for life just because they are on the public teat?
I don't have a job for life, hell I go from contract to contract...
Old Sep 18th 2012, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

aussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond reputeaussietobe has a reputation beyond repute

And that's the concern of a lot of us. Front-line services are being cut, that is endangering not only those out there like you, volunteering and putting their lives on the line with (now) a minimum of training and back-up, but also the ordinary Joe Public. When Joe Public needs an ambulance, or his house is on fire, or his brother has broken a leg bushwalking and needs evacuation by air......building a bridge is going to be f&&k all use to them.
"front-line services" are just weasel words, I am sure every job that is getting cut would consider themselves a "front-line" service. All of these so-called front line services sprung up under the previous labor government...amazing but people coped before these jobs came about...at some point there is a day of reckoning...these "services" are unaffordable. Queensland has lost its Triple A credit rating which means you have to pay higher interest rates to borrow money. Your children will still be paying this debt from money spent today on all these "services" when they are paying tax. This debt came about during a period of a big mining boom; what a disgrace.
Sorry, but when Kennett came in and made cuts, Victoria boomed. A lot of these programs and services that labor spends taxpayer money are simply not needed. It is a tough world and no-one is owed a living.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GarryP
Here's a quick grounding on some of the differences :
http://econogirl.wordpress.com/2011/...ehold-budgets/
http://professionalmanager.co.uk/deb...lders-at-home/
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/op...ty-agenda.html

Principle problem is that in a household economy if you cut back in spend, your wages don't reduce. However if a state cuts back in spending, history shows it's followed by a recession and thus a reduction in tax income. So if you continue to want to balance the budget you have to cut spending more, and revenues fall - a classic downwards spiral.

In addition, a state's government doesn't exist to make money or play accountants games. It exists to support the standard of living/welfare of it's citizens. Failure it not doing that. Otherwise the simplest thing would be to cut ALL services and continue to tax - it would make a huge profit.

From the above, you have to deliver and support your citizens. That's the focus.

From a less esoteric standpoint, you need to support the society; tend and shape it, such that its people (and thus businesses) can be a success. The first stage of that is to understand "what it does best" and what are the threats coming round the corner. You then have to add imagination, and creativity to 'engineer' the complex adaptive system to optimise that for the benefit of all.

If you take Queensland as the example, it majors on tourism, resources, and agriculture. It has threats derived from an ageing population (a common one), increasing air fares, natural disasters, and long distances. It might like to have lots of high tech manufacturing industry - because of the high tax revenue and the generally educated workforce that comes with it. However even though it has a nice environment, it has high wages and fixed costs.

PS Greece's problem is lack of control of its currency and tax system - not over spending as such. Austerity isn't making things better, quite the reverse
Queensland is borrowing money to pay for services it doesn't really need. These services might be nice to have, but do you want your grandkids paying tax to pay for the debt wracked up now to pay for them, because that is what will happen if the Qld government continues to spend money it doesn't have.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 4:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

That article was just a source for my quotes.
The quotes are irrelevant to the chaplaincy set up in Qld though - they came from a person from a different organisation (Access) in a different state (Victoria). That organisation also doesn't provide chaplaincy services to all schools in Victoria. Not all chaplains are "fundamentalist" as you put it, I'd doubt that many were at all. A quote from one person does not reflect all chaplains across the country, just like the views given by ACL does not reflect those of all christians across the country.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 8:32 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
"front-line services" are just weasel words, I am sure every job that is getting cut would consider themselves a "front-line" service. All of these so-called front line services sprung up under the previous labor government...amazing but people coped before these jobs came about...at some point there is a day of reckoning...these "services" are unaffordable. Queensland has lost its Triple A credit rating which means you have to pay higher interest rates to borrow money. Your children will still be paying this debt from money spent today on all these "services" when they are paying tax. This debt came about during a period of a big mining boom; what a disgrace.
Sorry, but when Kennett came in and made cuts, Victoria boomed. A lot of these programs and services that labor spends taxpayer money are simply not needed. It is a tough world and no-one is owed a living.
Have you read the posts by Cresta and my links re firefighters? If they aren't frontline then who is?

This is about the unfair mass culling of jobs at a moment's notice and with no logical thought process behind it - as I've stated before. Many of us do not consider ourselves "frontline"- I'm told mine is as frontline as my agency gets, I'm not sure I agree with that definition personally, the world would go on without us, but once paramedics and firefighters are getting axed that is a little more serious. I've also never used the phrase "job for life"as I don't believe in it - I'm all for accountability. You need to try and see the point that I and others are making. Thousands of people were informed - many by email - out of the blue that their roles, many of them essential to the everyday lives of ordinary people, were axed. Those staff were told that they could transfer to other jobs, only there aren't any, cos they've been axed. Many of these staff are experts in their fields - with skills the government badly needs - but because of their position falling on the wrong side of the line they are gone. There is no logic behind the huge number of jobs culled, and any savings could have been achieved less painfully with a staggered redundancy programme over the next 12 months or so. Apart from a lack of logic the cuts are being delivered in a brutal way - humanity seems in short supply at present here.

Two people I was speaking with yesterday are the only people in their department with any knowledge of a major disaster related programme. They are now out of work, no-one in the department has any knowledge of the processes and that department's participation in the programme has stalled with huge financial implications. I could give several specific examples but I still have my job (thank the Goddess) and hence I am careful only to discuss what is already in the public domain.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 9:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
The quotes are irrelevant to the chaplaincy set up in Qld though - they came from a person from a different organisation (Access) in a different state (Victoria). That organisation also doesn't provide chaplaincy services to all schools in Victoria. Not all chaplains are "fundamentalist" as you put it, I'd doubt that many were at all. A quote from one person does not reflect all chaplains across the country, just like the views given by ACL does not reflect those of all christians across the country.
Yes, that's why I provided the reference so people could see for themselves. Didn't have time to cover the whole back story. From my reading Access Ministries covers 96% of Victorian schools and is a self professed evangelical organisation. The quote was from the CEO of access ministries stating the aims of the organisation which employs all the chaplains. Across Australia most chaplains come from born again christian organisations so I would suggest most would be of this background.

I'm not against every chaplain in the country. Undoubtably all religions contain good people as well as bad. I object to the structure of the programme where during school hours an evangelical group uses huge amounts of tax payer funds in state schools, not to support it's own congregation who attend state schools, but to evangelise to young children to get new recruits. Young children who cannot objectively process suggestions made to them. I object that if Access ministries turns up at the school the school "must" provide them with their students during school hours to be evangelised to. I object that this is the default position and many parents do not opt out as they do not understand the aims of the programme or people behind it so not wanting to make their child the odd one out accept it unwittingly. I object that alternative educational options are not provided. This is not helped by Access ministries removing references explaining their true intentions from their website. Your correct that I'm not on the ground in Victoria so if you can correct any of this, for example things have changed, then by all means let me know but this is my understanding from reading about it.
Old Sep 19th 2012, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

This is not helped by Access ministries removing references explaining their true intentions from their website. Your correct that I'm not on the ground in Victoria so if you can correct any of this, for example things have changed, then by all means let me know but this is my understanding from reading about it.
A couple of factsheets on their website outline what Access does, and proselytising (which I think you mean by saying "evangelised to" and "new recruits") is not allowed. Saying that, I'm not in Victoria either right now - or indeed Australia for the timebeing.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by roaringmouse
A couple of factsheets on their website outline what Access does, and proselytising (which I think you mean by saying "evangelised to" and "new recruits") is not allowed. Saying that, I'm not in Victoria either right now - or indeed Australia for the timebeing.
Thanks. Yeah, I have read that proselytising is not allowed but evangelising is. Their seems to be little difference to me either but apparently "evangelising" is what they are doing when pulled up for proselytising (according to many reports I read).

All the quotes from those senior people involved when speaking frankly about the programme, eg from one of the founders of the programme or from the CEO of the programme, have indicated the aim is to recruit young children to christianity. Making the programme opt-out was a key plank in this strategy which was why it was campaigned for so strongly.
Old Sep 20th 2012, 10:50 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Firefighters are needed in what is predicted to be a bumper season. The services are needed but states have little revenue raising power.
Originally Posted by aussietobe
Queensland is borrowing money to pay for services it doesn't really need. These services might be nice to have, but do you want your grandkids paying tax to pay for the debt wracked up now to pay for them, because that is what will happen if the Qld government continues to spend money it doesn't have.
Old Sep 21st 2012, 12:33 pm
Banned

Pit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to allPit Bull. is a name known to all

When are the new unemployment figures due out?

Should make interesting reading, is there any signs that jobs are being created in other areas?
Old Sep 21st 2012, 9:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: London - but only until I can afford to move back to Sydney
isgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to beholdisgraham is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like its all comming together nicely. If loads of people loose their jobs and then their houses in forced sales then that will hopefully put further downward pressure on house prices and with any luck the Aussie dollar. I shall then return and take advantage of the situation.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 3:29 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pit Bull.
When are the new unemployment figures due out?

Should make interesting reading, is there any signs that jobs are being created in other areas?
Most people leaving the government are reporting there is nothing around. The word seems to be that the majority are expecting a long wait to find anything else, and I know a fair few who are resigned to spending their redundancy payouts on relocating to other States in search of work.
I'vce also heard of people returning to Ireland, the UK and New Zealand, and at least 6 suicides have so far been reported as direct results of job losses.

One guy I know has 15 years service and has never accessed his sick leave. This month he was told he needs a major back operation, the recovery time would've been covered by his sick leave. Instead he now has no job, no prospect of another (especially with impending surgery), large mortgage, and 2 kids under four who he can't be the prime carer for as he can't even lift the baby - thus the wife has to be the carer for the kids and can't work full time even if she could get a job.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:58 am
BE Enthusiast

Most people leaving the government are reporting there is nothing around. The word seems to be that the majority are expecting a long wait to find anything else, and I know a fair few who are resigned to spending their redundancy payouts on relocating to other States in search of work.
I'vce also heard of people returning to Ireland, the UK and New Zealand, and at least 6 suicides have so far been reported as direct results of job losses.

One guy I know has 15 years service and has never accessed his sick leave. This month he was told he needs a major back operation, the recovery time would've been covered by his sick leave. Instead he now has no job, no prospect of another (especially with impending surgery), large mortgage, and 2 kids under four who he can't be the prime carer for as he can't even lift the baby - thus the wife has to be the carer for the kids and can't work full time even if she could get a job.
So what you are essentially saying is that people who are public servants should expect "jobs for life." People from ireland moved to Australia because there are so few jobs over in Ireland but we all expected to cry buckets for people who may have to move states for jobs? gee, we are breeding people soft these days. No-one, the world or any government, owes people a living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.