Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Old Sep 17th 2012, 8:41 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Queensland public servants declare war on Newman

Most News in Australia is state and capital city based. The polls are starting to show the coalition having less of a lead. Now OFazza has asked for more GST revenue there will be more squirming from the Federal party.
Originally Posted by GarryP
As I say, it was probably put forward in the expectation that it wouldn't be taken.

It's interesting to note how little coverage the cuts in Queensland are getting nationally. It's almost as if news services are trying to support the LNP by not calling attention to how badly the cuts are being planned - no nasty questions for Abbott to have to answer.

The reality is that there are two big expenditures for the state government : health & education. If you want to cut spend then find ways of delivering these with less cost (which usually means doing less red tape). Both could usefully benefit from some revolution, but healthcare it probably the most urgent (costs will continue to blow out as the population ages). That revolution needs forward thinking and investment - but what's happening is almost exactly the opposite; it's being accountant led. An accountant can never make things better cheaply, its not in their skill set.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
THE Grim Reaper has led a protest against cuts to the Queensland fire service - but it was Premier Campbell Newman who was labelled the "ghost".
Gathering outside a State Cabinet meeting in Cairns today, Queensland Fire and Rescue Service crews left boots, suits and helmets in piles on a hill next to the black spectre of death, in symbolic protest over looming cuts to the department.
Urban firefighters are upset that recruit training courses and a popular anti-firebug strategy have been cut by the Newman government.
"There is no greater frontline worker in the fire department than a recruit," said senior firefighter Tim Caswell, of the United Firefighter Union of Queensland.
He said even before the budget announcement, three recruitment courses at the Brisbane-based training centre had been canned.
"Thirty potential recruits have been left in limbo, they'd quit their jobs and everything to get ready to start training when they had the rug pulled from under them," he said.
"In our line of business, recruits are frontline, they work in the trucks and fight fires, and save lives."
He said another cut was to the popular intervention on young firebugs known as FFF (Fight Fire Fascination).

At the moment 14 out of 14 comments on that courier mail story are critical of Newman. Very unusual for the comments to be that one sided.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:30 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fish.01
At the moment 14 out of 14 comments on that courier mail story are critical of Newman. Very unusual for the comments to be that one sided.
Tis, isn't it. And when you think how much public servants got lambasted in every article at the start of all this - guess it shows that some people are gradually realising that the term "public servants" includes a wider body of people than they imagined, like police officers, firefighters and paramedics.
The tide might be turning.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:38 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

fish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond reputefish.01 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Tis, isn't it. And when you think how much public servants got lambasted in every article at the start of all this - guess it shows that some people are gradually realising that the term "public servants" includes a wider body of people than they imagined, like police officers, firefighters and paramedics.
The tide might be turning.
I work in private enterprise but it really pisses me off all this frontline BS...plenty of public service jobs are important regardless of where they sit and the blanket frontline crap must really annoy those who do an important non-frontline job. Sure, if there are too many office staff doing some role then rationalise, but this simplistic break up into frontline good, non-frontline bad just smacks of pandering to the "sack the pen pushers" neanderthals...
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:40 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

The big problem is as I said earlier that Queenslanders were sick to death of Anna Bligh and would have voted for a sheep in preference to Bligh, I dont usually agree with better the devil you know but unfortunately in this case even she was a better choice.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by chris955
The big problem is as I said earlier that Queenslanders were sick to death of Anna Bligh and would have voted for a sheep in preference to Bligh, I dont usually agree with better the devil you know but unfortunately in this case even she was a better choice.
Apart from the usual couple of big blunders I thought she was doing a fair job. I knew this new lot would be too heavily influenced by extreme religious groups, homophobe country bumpkins, road building groups, bad social policy, bad health and education policy, lax planning laws, dodgy environmental commitment, poor city planning, and failed far right wing economic thinking for my liking. Shutup, I did give them a chance

Last edited by fish.01; Sep 17th 2012 at 11:52 am.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:49 am
Banned

chris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond reputechris955 has a reputation beyond repute

I couldnt stand Bligh, she couldnt lie straight in bed. The problem is the choice was a rock or a hard place.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:50 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aussietobe
Although I don't know the ins and outs I am sure that no matter who or how the cuts were made people would be upset...culls are always painful...but having a massive deficit going forward is not helpful in the long run to anybody
Only necessary if we follow a certain economic model. Life is surely more than the economic tripe that we have been fed for all too long.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 11:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I couldnt stand Bligh, she couldnt lie straight in bed. The problem is the choice was a rock or a hard place.
Couldn't disagree more. I thought she had far more intelligence and character than the rest of them.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 1:06 pm
Banned

Unfortunately that really isnt saying much.

Couldn't disagree more. I thought she had far more intelligence and character than the rest of them.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 1:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Unfortunately that really isnt saying much.
Oh I don't know. I think it is too easy to dismiss politicians. Some work really hard at making our lot better and are good at it, some are the opposite and many in the middle. When one appears that is articulate, broad minded, clearly intelligent, determined, passionate and by all accounts a hard worker I find them hard to dislike.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 2:10 pm
Banned

Fair enough, when you find one that fits that bill let us know.

When one appears that is articulate, broad minded, clearly intelligent, determined, passionate and by all accounts a hard worker I find them hard to dislike.
Old Sep 17th 2012, 10:51 pm
Almost more Oz than Pom

KJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond reputeKJCherokee has a reputation beyond repute

In this thread I see a lot of NIMBY comments along the lines of "I agree that he needed to rein in spending but he did it in the wrong places" without anyone suggesting what the right places to cut spending are. Running a state is basically no different to running a household budget - you either match spending to income or you borrow heavily to cover the shortfall in the anticipation/hope that your income will increase in time to pay off the loans and interest before you have to declare bankruptcy.

Bligh seemed to be doing the latter, relying on royalties from mining and coal seam gas to pull the state through. Newman is doing a combination of the two. Which is the better way? That is a matter of opinion - but there's no point in just criticising what he's doing if you can't put forward any alternatives. I know it's difficult to be objective when the job that goes is yours or someone you know, but if you agree that spending cuts are necessary then suggest the other places they could be made.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:26 am

IvanM is an unknown quantity at this point

Taxes can be raised. Do cuts or taxes have the bigger clout?
Originally Posted by KJCherokee
In this thread I see a lot of NIMBY comments along the lines of "I agree that he needed to rein in spending but he did it in the wrong places" without anyone suggesting what the right places to cut spending are. Running a state is basically no different to running a household budget - you either match spending to income or you borrow heavily to cover the shortfall in the anticipation/hope that your income will increase in time to pay off the loans and interest before you have to declare bankruptcy.

Bligh seemed to be doing the latter, relying on royalties from mining and coal seam gas to pull the state through. Newman is doing a combination of the two. Which is the better way? That is a matter of opinion - but there's no point in just criticising what he's doing if you can't put forward any alternatives. I know it's difficult to be objective when the job that goes is yours or someone you know, but if you agree that spending cuts are necessary then suggest the other places they could be made.
Old Sep 18th 2012, 12:32 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJCherokee
Running a state is basically no different to running a household budget
Actually its quite different. It tends to be the right wing ideologues that try to push the line of state as household to get acceptance of cuts to "balance the budget". The reality is that line of thinking has seldom helped states in achieving improving standards of living in the past.

Evidentially, the focus has to be elsewhere.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.