Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

purchasing another seat for 18 month old

purchasing another seat for 18 month old

Old Aug 18th 2008, 2:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all
Default Re: purchasing another seat for 18 month old

So sorry my i have just relised my Oliver is older than your child he is 3 in Nov, so your child would be smaller (mad cow who dosent know the ages of their own kids.....erm that would be me)
Old Aug 19th 2008, 8:47 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough

well decided DH will stay home and I put child in a seat. The fare has gone up to $2400 since yesterday
I had a bit of a disagreement with webjet and they are ringing malaysian airlines and seeing what they can do.. so am waiting another day so it'll probably go up again.
I also rang Malaysian to ask about pushchair in transit and she said no, I rang another day and they said yes...
This is turning out to be one big nightmare. If there weren't any penalties for cancelling - i'd cancel the damn thing and start again. And not through webjet.
:curse:
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:02 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Hi god it has been a nightmare for you hasnt it, are you pleased with your decision. These airline and travel companys fleece all the way.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by suzyt
Hi god it has been a nightmare for you hasnt it, are you pleased with your decision. These airline and travel companys fleece all the way.
I was totally happy about it this morning with the $2200 but seeing as I still dont know the cost as they are waiting to hear from Malaysian - god knows what figure they are going to come up with - I just want to pay the damn thing but if it ends up being so expensive i'm going to have to have him on my lap. I just can't afford it. so i'm miserable and p*ssed off.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Oh dont feel pissed of, these things are sent to try us. Everything gets so flippin complicated and it always comes down to money. We have had an awful lot of expense lately and we just cant keep on plucking money from no where as we havent got it, i do know how you feel, cheer up. Keep me posted.
Old Aug 19th 2008, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suzyt
Oh dont feel pissed of, these things are sent to try us. Everything gets so flippin complicated and it always comes down to money. We have had an awful lot of expense lately and we just cant keep on plucking money from no where as we havent got it, i do know how you feel, cheer up. Keep me posted.
thank you! you are so right..will have a glass of red to help....
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Additional belt is looped around your own belt. I doubt the attachment would fit any child over 18 months.
The belts are supposed to be sufficient to fit any child under the age of 2 - because after that age is when by law they have to have their own seat. We just recently got back from holiday with our 19month old son sitting on his Dad's lap. (thankfully just a 2 hour flight though!).
Old Aug 19th 2008, 12:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

travelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud oftravelbug has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sylvesterthecat
I was totally happy about it this morning with the $2200 but seeing as I still dont know the cost as they are waiting to hear from Malaysian - god knows what figure they are going to come up with - I just want to pay the damn thing but if it ends up being so expensive i'm going to have to have him on my lap. I just can't afford it. so i'm miserable and p*ssed off.
Hi there....it's a shame it always boils down to money, that does sound like a lot for a childs seat though. . We bought our son (who was 11 months at the time) last November his own seat flying from Gatwick to Perth (via Dubai) with Emirates. We have a 5 year old daughter as well. As expected - our son still wanted to be held for most of the journey - and slept mainly on my OH's chest! But the extra seat was nice for the rest of us to spread out a little bit more when he wasn't using it and i think if we had to do it again we would spend the money again....as you're all cramped enough as it is normally.
Good luck with whatever you decide..... we decided against the car seat option, as it's just another thing to carry at the other end - alongwith the kids and your handluggage until you manage to get your buggy!
I also agree that no-one should ever travel with an expensive buggy - we too have had damage (thankfully not to a very expensive one) and when we got to Perth last year - we had NO buggy as they'd forgotten to put ours on the plane at the gate! Perth airport loaned us one for a few days until ours turned up - but it was so bad we ended up buying another one and coming home with two buggies as part of our luggage!
Old Aug 20th 2008, 2:42 am
Forum Regular

I've done it - I've booked the ticket!

Managed to get down to $2185 (bit different from the $2400 quoted yesterday - its worth having a moan) - She said I can wait if I want but I just thought - just get it now.. Prices have gone up so much on airfares. I still think thats a lot for a child, he's only little!

So relief. It's done. Now to decide whether to do the carseat thing or not! Good for him sleeping in but sitting in for 20hrs plus lugging the thing around in transit and at other end puts me off.. He would prob sleep better in it though.

anyway thank you all for your wisdom and karma and positivity...

Old Oct 7th 2008, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

well only a week now til me and my little boy go on our adventure.

We ended up cancelling malaysian and almost getting a full refund. we are now booked with BA as they do a special seat by Britax for toddlers. I know its not guaranteed but its worth a try and seeing as i'll be travelling on my own I may get lucky.

Have received a definate NO from Perth Airport to taking my stroller to the gate. I have to use their ones, which means (I assume) I dont get one at my transit in Singapore.. so will have to carry my heavy boy around with hand luggage.

does anyone know any different?
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:21 am
Just Joined

happybunny79 is an unknown quantity at this point

We booked through Qantas from Johannesburg (South Africa) to Sydney - think it is about a 13 hour flight - and were told that our boy is too young to have his own seat, but too old to have a skycot so we have no option but to have him on our lap!!!!! It is a night flight so am just hoping that he will sleep most of the way. Luckily husband will be with me so we will share the experience...LOL! Going to be interesting though as he will be 23 months by then and as hyperactive as anything......
Old Oct 7th 2008, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

Surely you can buy him a seat - its just take off and landing that he has to be on your lap if under 2. That's always been the case when we've flown with our kids anyway. I'd double check - if you want a seat for him - if I were you
Old Oct 7th 2008, 7:36 am
Jelly-Belly, tbh

FluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of lightFluffieFaerie is a glorious beacon of light

Wow, wish I'd seen this thread sooner. I did the flight on my own with my 20month old in July with Malaysian. I took the carseat and bought a trolley thing that fixes to the back of it so I wheeled him around in that through the airports and just had a backpack as carry-on luggage. I wouldn't have survived that trip without the carseat and the Malaysian staff were more than accommodating even though I'm sure they probably groaned inside when they saw me wheel up! All together it was a great flight and I laugh now that I'd spent the previous 4 months winding myself up about how I was going to cope on my own. I'm glad you've sorted things out now and I'm sure you'll be fine with BA. Good luck.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:06 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happybunny79
We booked through Qantas from Johannesburg (South Africa) to Sydney - think it is about a 13 hour flight - and were told that our boy is too young to have his own seat, but too old to have a skycot so we have no option but to have him on our lap!!!!! It is a night flight so am just hoping that he will sleep most of the way. Luckily husband will be with me so we will share the experience...LOL! Going to be interesting though as he will be 23 months by then and as hyperactive as anything......
That does not sound right? We bought a seat for our daughter at 5 or 7 months (at this time she was too big for the cot). The only point was that on takeoff and landing she had to be afixed to either myself or wife with the addon seat belt loop.
Old Oct 7th 2008, 8:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
That does not sound right? We bought a seat for our daughter at 5 or 7 months (at this time she was too big for the cot). The only point was that on takeoff and landing she had to be afixed to either myself or wife with the addon seat belt loop.
I'd agree with you and the other posters - we have had seats for our son/daughter at various ages prior to the age of 2. Only needed to sit on our laps for take off and landing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.