British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   purchasing another seat for 18 month old (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/purchasing-another-seat-18-month-old-554166/)

sylvesterthecat Aug 9th 2008 6:35 am

purchasing another seat for 18 month old

hi

i have read similar threads but I just wanted to start one so I can follow it through and let people know how my experience went.

I will be travelling without my DH and with my 18 month old boy. At the moment I do not have another seat booked for him, let alone thought about a car seat as well (the idea of carrying that, luggage and him through KL airport at 10pm is not good).

My questions are - has anyone not booked another seat and had child on lap for duration? am I mad thinking I can do it like this? Can I get my pushchair for the stopover?

The worry over this has taken away the enjoyment at going 'home' for a holiday!

experiences and any advice welcome.
We are flying Malaysian by the way

Lisa

Pollyana Aug 9th 2008 6:48 am

Re: purchasing another seat for 18 month old

Originally Posted by sylvesterthecat (Post 6661199)
hi

i have read similar threads but I just wanted to start one so I can follow it through and let people know how my experience went.

I will be travelling without my DH and with my 18 month old boy. At the moment I do not have another seat booked for him, let alone thought about a car seat as well (the idea of carrying that, luggage and him through KL airport at 10pm is not good).

My questions are - has anyone not booked another seat and had child on lap for duration? am I mad thinking I can do it like this? Can I get my pushchair for the stopover?

Lisa

You should be able to get your pushchair - you take it with you right up to the point of boarding, and then the crew put it in last and retrieve it when the plane arrives, then hand it back to you.
As for booking a seat for the little one....think about it.....you arare proposing to have a child on your lap for 24+ hours....how will YOU sleep/eat? Surely get a separate seat then you can tuck the kiddie up to sleep and you won't have cramp and a numb bum by the time you arrive (I'm an Aunty and I love the brats dearly but no way would I have one on my lap for 24 hours!!)

wbbugs Aug 9th 2008 7:00 am

Just thought I would say that booking another seat for my liitle boy was a good idea. He slept most of the flight and putting him in the larger seat and letting him put his head on our lap was better than holding him all the way. You can then eat without problems. You wont regret it!!
My opinion anyway!:D

Helen Randle Aug 9th 2008 10:32 am

I agree with others, unless you can get the bulkhead seat and a sky cot, but as you are booking only one seat you are very likely to have other seats next to you filled so not much room for eatng as stated or more importantly entertaining the little one!!:eek:

sunbather Aug 9th 2008 12:31 pm

My daughter is travelling over on Thursday with ehr 18 month old boy. He is a very little skinny thing and she has booked a bulkhead seat as he can still fit in the sky cot.

BAY Aug 9th 2008 12:38 pm

Yes you are barking mad if you don't book another seat. Sorry for being so blunt. Your 18 month old child will be far TOO big for a basinet cot. As others have said : how will you sleep or eat with an 18 old month toddler on your lap ? There is no way you will be able to do it. :(

Originally Posted by sylvesterthecat (Post 6661199)
hi

Lisa

sylvesterthecat Aug 9th 2008 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by BAY (Post 6662092)
Yes you are barking mad if you don't book another seat. Sorry for being so blunt. Your 18 month old child will be far TOO big for a basinet cot. As others have said : how will you sleep or eat with an 18 old month toddler on your lap ? There is no way you will be able to do it. :(

be blunt - its better that way.

I knew he'd be too big for the bassinet, he was too big for it at 6 months when we flew out here but people must do it with them on your laps.. but you're right, i know you're right.. I think i'm going to have to give the credit card another bashing..

I still can't imagine him sleeping upright in a seat though? or does he just lay on my lap? can he sleep on the floor or is that not allowed these days..?

20hrs 10 mins the flight is apparantly.. I must keep remembering this is not much in ones lifetime..

unfortunately we stop at KL at 10pm in the middle of sleep time.. I pray to god we get our pushchair at the transit..

thanks for replies
Lisa

Helen Randle Aug 9th 2008 6:37 pm

Stop flapping!! you'll get your pram, and time the sleeps for during flight times. Medised may help!.....:):):)

Bernieboy Aug 9th 2008 9:13 pm

Originally Posted by sylvesterthecat (Post 6662737)

I knew he'd be too big for the bassinet, he was too big for it at 6 months when we flew out here but people must do it with them on your laps.. but you're right, i know you're right.. I think i'm going to have to give the credit card another bashing..

I still can't imagine him sleeping upright in a seat though? or does he just lay on my lap? can he sleep on the floor or is that not allowed these days..?

20hrs 10 mins the flight is apparantly.. I must keep remembering this is not much in ones lifetime..

unfortunately we stop at KL at 10pm in the middle of sleep time.. I pray to god we get our pushchair at the transit..

thanks for replies
Lisa

Sleep on the floor !!!!!! who you flying with, QUANTAS:ohmy:

sylvesterthecat Aug 10th 2008 2:24 am

Originally Posted by Helen Randle (Post 6663242)
Stop flapping!! you'll get your pram, and time the sleeps for during flight times. Medised may help!.....:):):)

thankfully am not flapping, just have not travelled with a toddler on my own before so just getting some friendly advice!

and 'time the sleeps for during flight times'??

anyway. thanks for all replies so far...:)

Helen Randle Aug 10th 2008 8:17 am

Neither had I travelled that distance alone with my 2 prior to last march, but I'm just trying to say "whatever will be will be!"

It's not pleasant but I would say the experience is similar to childbirth - you remember the pain but the once it's over the memory starts to fade a little!!

As for timing sleeps - I was able to chose night flights so my kids would be ready for a sleep....

BAY Aug 10th 2008 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by sylvesterthecat (Post 6662737)

thanks for replies
Lisa

He won't be allowed to sleep on the floor. Its against safety rules. And yes you're right he won't be comfortable and won't be able to sleep upright in the plane seat ... so the way we and many others have done is to take a car seat and strap it onto the plane seat. That way he will be both comfortable and securely strapped in ... and you should have plenty of stress free time while he sleeps. With regards the pushchair when you are in the departure lounge and just about to board the plane you leave the pushchair there. You then pick it up either with the suitcases or just as you leave the plane. Good luck.

Safin Aug 11th 2008 1:58 am

You might get lucky if you do book him a seat and get the 3rd seat left vacant so he can lie across them!

Getting loads of blankets/pillows etc to prop him diagonally in his seat will help, or put his head on your lap with the arm rest up. All mine did manage some sleep that way (3,5,7yrs). Remember they often sleep sort of sat up in a car seat and on the big seats they can curl up.

Whilst a car seat will be a big help on the plane it'll be a big hinderance in the airport for the stopover.

I did a 4 hour flight with my 1 year old on my lap and would never ever consider flying 20 hours with a toddler on my lap!

Pobman Aug 11th 2008 4:09 am

The car seat will also probably be of little use the other end as unless things have changed recently UK spec car seats are not often legal in Oz.

http://www.atsb.gov.au/pdfs/child_restraints.pdf

Virgin have a special seat you can book for small children and babies, though not much use if you have already got tickets it might help somebody else.

bridie Aug 11th 2008 4:15 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana (Post 6661211)
You should be able to get your pushchair - you take it with you right up to the point of boarding, and then the crew put it in last and retrieve it when the plane arrives, then hand it back to you.
As for booking a seat for the little one....think about it.....you arare proposing to have a child on your lap for 24+ hours....how will YOU sleep/eat? Surely get a separate seat then you can tuck the kiddie up to sleep and you won't have cramp and a numb bum by the time you arrive (I'm an Aunty and I love the brats dearly but no way would I have one on my lap for 24 hours!!)

take a cheap pushchair though, my parents witnessed them being "loaded" onto the plane at Heathrow - basically they were chucked up and over into one of those suitcase crate things... :thumbdown:

OP: sent you some k BTW :)