Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

purchasing another seat for 18 month old

purchasing another seat for 18 month old

Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:47 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: purchasing another seat for 18 month old

ok - so I have made the decision to buy an extra seat to make life easier.

I have enquired to webjet about changing his ticket and have been quoted $2200 (incl change fees) - a HUGE amount I feel.

However, DH now says, if you are paying that much for a seat maybe I should come! So now I have the dilemma, do I stick to original plan - me and my son in a seat and DH stays home, or me and DH without a seat for son!?
I must say it would be useful to have an extra pair of hands but then son still wont have his own seat?! - We are going for just over 2 weeks btw...

What do you reckon!?

Last edited by sylvesterthecat; Aug 18th 2008 at 3:49 am.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Safin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond reputeSafin has a reputation beyond repute

who are you flying with - try asking them directly incase webjet aren't giving you the best deal. Are they asking for an adult fare not a kids fare?

Still wouldn't fancy half the flight with kiddie on lap - but then wouldn't fancy extra $2200 either.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 4:50 am
Forum Regular

sylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the roughsylvesterthecat is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Safin
who are you flying with - try asking them directly incase webjet aren't giving you the best deal. Are they asking for an adult fare not a kids fare?

Still wouldn't fancy half the flight with kiddie on lap - but then wouldn't fancy extra $2200 either.
We are flying with Malaysian and I have checked their website and to be fair it is a very similar cost (minus the $400 to change the fare) and a kid's fare is 90% of an adult fare anyway so much the same.

It's an awful lot of money for a 2 wk holiday! My poor credit card is suffering the brunt!
Old Aug 18th 2008, 10:08 am
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Apart from anything else, it's much safer and recommended to have his own seat. I've seen a few of those airline disaster shows where small children haven't had their own seats and have sat on the parents lap, and in times of heavy turbulence and emergencies, small children his age have been thrown around or gone sliding down the aisles and have usually died. I know it's a lot of money but IMO it's just not worth the risk to not have him properly locked in.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:08 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Hi i have two children one of 8 and the other one is the same age as yours, if i were you i would get a seat for your child, it will make life a lot easier for you. I just couldnt imagine having my Oliver on my lap for 20 hours and to be honest i dont think he would like it too, at least if you child has its own seat they will have some space of their own everyone needs a bit of space its a long flight.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:38 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
Apart from anything else, it's much safer and recommended to have his own seat. I've seen a few of those airline disaster shows where small children haven't had their own seats and have sat on the parents lap, and in times of heavy turbulence and emergencies, small children his age have been thrown around or gone sliding down the aisles and have usually died. I know it's a lot of money but IMO it's just not worth the risk to not have him properly locked in.
that's scary stuff you've posted!! How is he more securely fastened in his own seat than in mine? do they have extra straps or something for kids?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:39 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suzyt
Hi i have two children one of 8 and the other one is the same age as yours, if i were you i would get a seat for your child, it will make life a lot easier for you. I just couldnt imagine having my Oliver on my lap for 20 hours and to be honest i dont think he would like it too, at least if you child has its own seat they will have some space of their own everyone needs a bit of space its a long flight.
so its the baby or the husband!! we just all can't afford to all go, if we have baby in his own seat and DH its another $4400.. which is crazy!

looks like baby gets the holiday! but it would be nice having an extra pair of hands i must say...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

suzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to allsuzyt is a name known to all

Do you want your other half to go with you?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by suzyt
Do you want your other half to go with you?
yes. but understand if he doesn't. He is from SA so has no desire really to go back to Uk for 2 wk holiday...
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:50 am
BE Enthusiast

As if you would really rather that your other half came along for the company and the help then you have your answer.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 11:53 am
CHC-MEL commute since 91

derab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud ofderab has much to be proud of

I say to take OH and the baby, work out before you leave who will be responsible for the little cherub for which sector.
If you are responsible up to KL on the way out, you will be responsible to KL on the way back.
that way one person gets 7 hours off work and the other one gets 13 hours off work each way.
when you are checking in, ask for as far down the back as possible (except for the last row), not many people like going down there so you might get that magical third seat anyway. also the rear cabin is usually the coolest of all, allowing you guys to sleep.
just make sure OH pulls his weight with bubs and all should be fine.
and phenergen is your friend.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:19 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Previously Sydney, Australia... now Oakville, Canada...love it!
Ginger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to allGinger3710 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by sylvesterthecat
that's scary stuff you've posted!! How is he more securely fastened in his own seat than in mine? do they have extra straps or something for kids?
I don't know how the child sits securely on the parents lap ie what kind of strap they're in, but from what I've seen in those re-enactment documentaries of airline disasters, in an emergency the passengers are told to lean forward right over with their head between their legs, if you're holding a child there's no possible way you can do that. It would seem simple enough to think we can hold tightly to the child, but with heavy turbulence or engine problems up in the air and the pressure when a plane lands in an emergency, the child is like a misssile, one show I saw the small child just slid out of the mother's lap and went sliding down the plane under the seats and died.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:33 pm
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginger3710
I don't know how the child sits securely on the parents lap ie what kind of strap they're in, but from what I've seen in those re-enactment documentaries of airline disasters, in an emergency the passengers are told to lean forward right over with their head between their legs, if you're holding a child there's no possible way you can do that. It would seem simple enough to think we can hold tightly to the child, but with heavy turbulence or engine problems up in the air and the pressure when a plane lands in an emergency, the child is like a misssile, one show I saw the small child just slid out of the mother's lap and went sliding down the plane under the seats and died.
Additional belt is looped around your own belt. I doubt the attachment would fit any child over 18 months.
Old Aug 18th 2008, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Beppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really niceBeppe is just really nice

A couple of questions along similar lines:

If you decide to buy an extra seat(s) for your toddler(s) where then is it best to sit?

Bulk head – Advantage of extra room for ease of picking up all the toys/food that will be constantly dropped and for ease of rummaging in bags. Also no people in front to annoy. Disadvantage is that arm rests do not lift up so your child cannot sleep sideways across the seat/your lap (I don’t know if this is the case for all planes or just the ones I have flown on).

Or do you go for the rows where the arm rests can be lifted so your child(ren) can sleep sideways at the expense of the leg room and risk annoying the passengers in front of you. Did you find it was feasible for your child to sleep this way & did you manage to sleep more than one child side by side?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 1:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Additional belt is looped around your own belt. I doubt the attachment would fit any child over 18 months.
you would think it would as they can still officially sit on your lap til age 2..

the age between 1 and 2 is not well catered for on aircraft (yet) except for Virgin and BA who i think provide a toddler (car) seat..

like most things, it seemed like a good idea at the time..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.