Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

(Probably) stupid question re Brown Snakes

(Probably) stupid question re Brown Snakes

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 4:05 am
BE Forum Addict

KatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to beholdKatieStar is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: (Probably) stupid question re Brown Snakes

I don't believe in killing the snakes rant rant LOL I don't think they mean any harm to us and just end up in the wrong place. If I saw another one in my backyard I would be straight on the phone to get it removed by an expert.

Katie
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 4:08 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gedge
I'm surprised the animal rights activists haven't jumped on board yet.
are cane toads poisonous to brown snakes? or the other way round?

the snakes eat the toads, and they poison them, thats why its legal to kill toads, because they r wiping out the snakes crocs and other natives
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 7:19 am
Ok this isn't so bad

Stitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond reputeStitch has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks very much for those details.....Was just about to ask if anyone knew.

Cheers

Ginny
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 4:11 pm
Account Closed

tonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond reputetonyk38 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Hello all,

Mr J caught a young brown snake on its way into our garage yesterday. It was so vicious for something only about 10 inches long. I know there was a 4 foot one on the (empty) block next to us recently, so that's what I have been watching out for. Naively I didn't think to look for small ones. This could have been easily disguised in the grass. Not good news with a toddler and a baby about to crawl.

Anyway, on to my stupid question............

Would the venom from a baby snake be as strong as from an adult, or does it increase with age?

Cheers to anyone that knows!
As you live in Perth (which is where I'm assuming this happened), then the snake you had in your garage was either a Western Brown or a Dugite. These snakes can be very variable in appearance, but that's not so important if you're bitten and you don't know which one it is, as both can be treated with the same antivenom. King Browns also occur in your area, but are far less likely to be found in urban areas (though it's not unheard of).

Contrary to some stuff I've read here, both species, and indeed the Eastern Brown, are adaptable and commonly occur in urban areas, even in the middle of cities. Hundreds of Brown Snakes are removed from Australian homes every year, though as ABCD points out, statistically few people get bitten, and still fewer die from the bite. Having said that, if you are very unlucky and do get bitten, seek medical attention straight away, because these species can be deadly.

When bush walking, move about noisily if you're worried about snakes and avoid long grass and rank vegetation. Most snakes will move off as you approach, though even here there are exceptions: Death Adders are ambush predators and it is possible for them to remain still right up to when you tread on them; and their camouflage makes them very difficult to see on approach. They are found throughout most of the mainland, except Southern Victoria, but prefer pristine bush land. You won't find them in the average suburban garden.

Personally I love snakes and actively look for them. In five months of travelling in Aus in the 90s however, I only saw three, two of which were harmless species and one (a King Brown) was dead! I was told it was a drought year and many snakes were less active.

The law of averages means that some folks won't see any in years of living in Aus, whilst others will get them in their garage...
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 5:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

grahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to beholdgrahampaula is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Hello all,

Mr J caught a young brown snake on its way into our garage yesterday. It was so vicious for something only about 10 inches long. I know there was a 4 foot one on the (empty) block next to us recently, so that's what I have been watching out for. Naively I didn't think to look for small ones. This could have been easily disguised in the grass. Not good news with a toddler and a baby about to crawl.

Anyway, on to my stupid question............

Would the venom from a baby snake be as strong as from an adult, or does it increase with age?

Cheers to anyone that knows!
OH MY GOD :scared: I thought that I was only scared of spiders until I read this. Luckily you managed to deal with the problem safely. This is the only thing that is putting my off so I am trying to conquer my fears before we leave.
If you find another one take it straight to the dentist lol.
Take care and I am glad to hear that everybody is ok.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 10:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Most animals are more scared of you than you are of them. Most are only too happy to get away.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 11:13 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Most animals are more scared of you than you are of them. Most are only too happy to get away.
We had a massive dugite at Ocean Reef Primary School last week, a little girl who'd just emigrated found it