Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

(Probably) stupid question re Brown Snakes

(Probably) stupid question re Brown Snakes

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Wave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond reputeWave the Sails has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: (Probably) stupid question re Brown Snakes

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Some info in case it's of any use to anyone.........

For a referral to a local snake collector contact the service listed for your state:

NSW: Wildlife and Information Rescue Service (WIRES), phone: (02) 8977 3333.
VIC: The Wildlife Care Network, phone: 0500 540 000
SA: Fauna Rescue, phone: 08 8289 0896, or Adelaide Snake Catchers, phone: 0413 665 483
QLD: QLD Parks and Wildlife Service, phone: (07) 3202 0220
WA: Conservation and Land Management (CALM), Wildlife Protection, phone: (08) 9334 0292 (BH), (08) 9334 0333 (AH)
NT: Darwin and Darwin Rural Snake Callout, phone: 0407 610 039
TAS: Department of Primary Industry, Water and Environment, Nature Conservation Branch, phone: (03) 6233 6556
ACT: ACT Parks and Conservation - Southside, phone: (02) 6207 2127; Northside, phone: (02) 6207 2113

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/199...ives/25?p=2000

There are several species of brown snake in Australia.

The most toxic member of the group, the eastern or common brown snake (Pseudonaja textilis) is found in the eastern half of Australia with a few populations in the Northern Territory. It has the second most potent venom of all land snakes (second only to the inland taipan) and is 12 times more toxic than the Indian cobra (Naja naja).

The most widespread species is the western brown or gwardar, which occurs everywhere in Australia apart from a strip around the southern and eastern coasts.

Deaths from all Snake Bites are on average about 4 per year, for the entire country.
Thanks ABCD - I'm going to print that number off and put it next to the telephone.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 8:57 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

I was under the impression that the WIRES network wouldn't come out unless wildlife was injured? (Perhaps a hint there though I wouldn't advise anything illegal...<g>)

Probably a good idea to look up the local snake man NOW, before having to divide your attention between the yellow pages and under-the-bed!
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:12 am
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Ok here is an even worse question, do most of the people here talking about snakes, and finding them live near open land or out back. surly if you live in the middle of an housing estate were there is no building going on, they dont get to you.doesn't the noise keeps them away.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Teliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond reputeTeliko21 has a reputation beyond repute

All the snakes I have seen have been in parks in and around Melbourne and never in our back garden. I guess in a housing estate it would be unlikely you would find one.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:20 am
Forum Regular

paka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant futurepaka has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Teliko21
All the snakes I have seen have been in parks in and around Melbourne and never in our back garden. I guess in a housing estate it would be unlikely you would find one.
thankyou my mind is at rest now , as that was my ploy, live in the middle of a housing estate , hopefully not see any wildlife.or not as much.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 9:33 am
Breeding little aussies

movetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond reputemovetoperth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
Yes but what about a 2 year old and a nine month old?
I'd get the snake people out anyway, of course conveniently forget about the stain on your garage floor and say you spotted one in the vacant block next door, maybe they will take a look and put your mind at rest.

Lynn
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:14 am
Breast Inspector

zx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond reputezx10r_aus has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by paka
thankyou my mind is at rest now , as that was my ploy, live in the middle of a housing estate , hopefully not see any wildlife.or not as much.

Don't get to comfortable, I have personal seen some in my back yard. Some have even made there way into homes. I live in suburbia, if you have mice or rats you'll probably find a snake some where near by.

ZX....
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 10:43 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zx10r_aus
Don't get to comfortable, I have personal seen some in my back yard. Some have even made there way into homes. I live in suburbia, if you have mice or rats you'll probably find a snake some where near by.

ZX....
I've had a tiger snake in the front garden and a dugite in the back. I see one or two dugites a year in our neighbourhood. Lady across the road had one in her study at home.
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

donna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to beholddonna is a splendid one to behold

[

If theres one baby there would be many more. If the block next door is overgrown let the council know, its something you get fined for over here. Land has to be kept free of weeds and long grass councils enforce it.[/QUOTE]

Dont hold your breath on that one the block next door to us the weeds were over our 6ft fence,phoned the council,they came out ,sent the guy a letter giving him a month or they would get it cut and bill him.The month came and went ,i contacted them again ,they then come out to check and send him another letter giving him a further 2 weeks ARGGH
I also informed the council that id seen snakes but that apparently doesnt make any difference.
donna
Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:36 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by Wol
Probably a good idea to look up the local snake man NOW, before having to divide your attention between the yellow pages and under-the-bed!
I'll agree with that, especially as that Burkes Backyard site I mentioned is a few years old now. The phone numbers, may or may not have been changed/updated.

Old Feb 22nd 2006, 11:40 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by paka
Ok here is an even worse question, do most of the people here talking about snakes, and finding them live near open land or out back. surly if you live in the middle of an housing estate were there is no building going on, they dont get to you.doesn't the noise keeps them away.
I've never had one in my garden (that I am aware of), but I've never lived too close to the bush, in my 15 years total in Australia

Old Feb 23rd 2006, 1:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
Katie, how frightening.

One trick - perhaps u were doing this tho? - is to always lift anything up from the side opposite to where you are standing, effectively rolling the lid/cover.piece of wood/towards u. That way the wild-life dashes out , towards the light, which is away from you.
Reminds me of the same procedure for checking for grenades under bodies, or blokes pretending to be, er bodies. Lift the body with you, so you have some screening.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 1:22 am

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by The Jones Family
He didn't exactly 'catch it' (made a bit of a mess in the garage I can tell you).

I have said that if he sees another one we should call The Poisons Hotline, who will in turn send someone to take it away! As I understand it anyway.

shhhhhhhhh dont you know it is illegal to kill brown snakes
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 1:23 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by thatsnotquiteright
Reminds me of the same procedure for checking for grenades under bodies, or blokes pretending to be, er bodies. Lift the body with you, so you have some screening.
err, theres' something missing there badge.
Old Feb 23rd 2006, 1:25 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by biggy
shhhhhhhhh dont you know it is illegal to kill brown snakes
I'm surprised the animal rights activists haven't jumped on board yet.
are cane toads poisonous to brown snakes? or the other way round?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.