Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Schools Perth North of River

Private Schools Perth North of River

Old May 27th 2009, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

Oliveoil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Private Schools Perth North of River

hi, I know this is an old(er) thread but I wondered if you all got the schools of your choice(s)?

I am NOR and have daughters of 6 and 4 and am starting to consider my options, primary is great but have heard very mixed reports of high schools both state and private

the school that my daughter attends had a bad rep around 4 years ago but they got a new principal and it was turned around, could this happen to the so called 'bad' schools NOR? (she says hoping)

hope you all got sorted anyway
Old May 27th 2009, 1:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oliveoil
hi, I know this is an old(er) thread but I wondered if you all got the schools of your choice(s)?

I am NOR and have daughters of 6 and 4 and am starting to consider my options, primary is great but have heard very mixed reports of high schools both state and private

the school that my daughter attends had a bad rep around 4 years ago but they got a new principal and it was turned around, could this happen to the so called 'bad' schools NOR? (she says hoping)

hope you all got sorted anyway
Yes it could. And my current feeling is that things will only get better in WA secondary schools as greater transparency and accountability comes into play.

BUT you may have quite a long wait. It won't change over night and it still takes quite significant work to get a principal removed.
Old May 29th 2009, 8:21 am
Just Joined

claudia18 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by northernbird
St Stephens Carramar was a no. I haven't considered Peter Moyes and Quinns Baptist and don't intend to. An out of catchment SHS is a better option than either of those.
I sent my child to a state school for his first three years of high school, and it was crap. We chose to send our son to Peter Moyes, and even though it is not as prestigious as other private schools in Perth, Peter Moyes is an excellent school. Don't knock something until you try it. The level of education there is exactly the same as other schools.
Old May 30th 2009, 6:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Any views on Ocean Reef High?

So how far in advance do you have to put names down for private high schools, if we decide to go that route?

Ironically thought we'd be leaving all this behind when we leave Singapore. In a fit of efficiency put son's name down for an unopened campus of an established school at 9 months and he wasn't even first on the list!
Old May 30th 2009, 9:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Family of 3
Any views on Ocean Reef High?

So how far in advance do you have to put names down for private high schools, if we decide to go that route?

Ironically thought we'd be leaving all this behind when we leave Singapore. In a fit of efficiency put son's name down for an unopened campus of an established school at 9 months and he wasn't even first on the list!
UNWCSEA by any chance?!

Wouldn't touch Ocena Reef.
Old May 30th 2009, 10:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Family of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond reputeFamily of 3 has a reputation beyond repute

Spot on.

Why wouldn't you touch Ocean Reef?
Old May 30th 2009, 11:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Spot on.

Why wouldn't you touch Ocean Reef?
Check out table 1 - 10th column. State average in 'high' is 33%.
Attached Files
Old May 30th 2009, 12:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ah right. Looks like most of the High Schools in this area are below average. I thought Lake Joondalup was supposed to be good, yet that and Peter Moyes are below average. From a cursory glance, looks like there are as few good schools skewing the average, and most schools have < 33% in the high column. Luckily he's only 2 so we've a while to sort this.

How do you know UWC, btw? Did you live in Singapore?
Old May 30th 2009, 2:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ah right. Looks like most of the High Schools in this area are below average. I thought Lake Joondalup was supposed to be good, yet that and Peter Moyes are below average. From a cursory glance, looks like there are as few good schools skewing the average, and most schools have < 33% in the high column. Luckily he's only 2 so we've a while to sort this.

How do you know UWC, btw? Did you live in Singapore?
Do a search on schools on this forum. There's quite a lot of debate - I've contributed my own thoughts on many occasions.

I know the international Singapore schools reasonably well - through personal contact or through reputation. I applied for a job at UWC once.
Old May 30th 2009, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

Mary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to allMary1967UK is a name known to all

One of the main reasons for my return to the UK was due to the poor education offered SOR. Naively, I trusted a 'friend' who emigrated to Oz about 4 years ago and believed the crap she made up about how fantastic her local high school was.:curse:

Within a few week i'd taken the kids out of this fantastic school and transferred them to a religious bible bashing christian school, not a very good first impression of Oz for the kids!

Many people thought i was mad for returning back to the UK within 3 months of landing in Oz - five months later, my youngest daughter is back in her old UK high school (the best in the county), and my eldest is due to start the 2nd best college in England in September, both completely FREE i might add. More importantly, my kids ARE COMPLETELY HAPPY, which is all i ever wanted.

The UK may have it's problems, but the education system is one of the best in the world and i'm glad to be back.

Last edited by Mary1967UK; May 30th 2009 at 4:00 pm.
Old May 31st 2009, 12:06 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Watched this thread with interest.

I do feel some snobbery is in here.

I also chuckle at the "Clarkson" labelling the poms give to that school. I feel sorry for the school and the residents of the area who may not have the choice and also unwittinly fall into the stereo typing bracket.

It has no chance of improving its image, and for me am glad the offspring of these people dont go to these stereo typed schools.

All the people I work with went to Australian State schools, all seem educated and normal to me.
Old May 31st 2009, 12:41 am
BE Enthusiast

jimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nicejimandkate is just really nice

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
Watched this thread with interest.

I do feel some snobbery is in here.

I also chuckle at the "Clarkson" labelling the poms give to that school. I feel sorry for the school and the residents of the area who may not have the choice and also unwittinly fall into the stereo typing bracket.

It has no chance of improving its image, and for me am glad the offspring of these people dont go to these stereo typed schools.

All the people I work with went to Australian State schools, all seem educated and normal to me.
I live in Butler and have 2 children and i spoke with an Australian teacher who works in Clarkson and he said that he would never in his life send his kids to it so it is just not snobbery it is just thinking about your kids and i would never have sent them to a school in the UK that had a name for it as bad as Clarkson I know that I dont have the money to send the to private school and feel that the Goverment should be doing something about it as everyone should have the right to a decent education Kate
Old May 31st 2009, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jimandkate
I live in Butler and have 2 children and i spoke with an Australian teacher who works in Clarkson and he said that he would never in his life send his kids to it so it is just not snobbery it is just thinking about your kids and i would never have sent them to a school in the UK that had a name for it as bad as Clarkson I know that I dont have the money to send the to private school and feel that the Goverment should be doing something about it as everyone should have the right to a decent education Kate

I too have received this advice from teachers working within the state school system. There is some hope in that, following the latest budget, a new high school has been agreed for Butler, although it will not open until 2013 at the earliest. There is no guarantee though as to its standards of teaching. Hopefully by then the national curriculum will have been introduced along with promised new style of school reports both of which should help to lift standards. The choice of principal will be very telling.
Old May 31st 2009, 2:16 am
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

Thats good, well he is a snob too then.

Funny as I have "Australian" friends who have told me to stay clear of Butler as a place to live and send my kids to any school there. Apparently its going to be twinned with Balga.

Do you think I took any notice? Is Butler that bad? See how irratating it is.

Send three and four pence we are going to a dance.......

Originally Posted by jimandkate
Old May 31st 2009, 6:55 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heljinder
The whole waiting list malarky drives me nuts here, I'm afraid to say. We live SOR, where there aren't many decent schools unfortunately. Before coming to Perth, I called quite a few private schools but all had lengthy waiting lists. I managed to get my 7 year old into one in the end though, and he's doing fine there, but it's not a long term option for us.

My 3 and a half year old son is really dipping out living here in my opinion. After three bad experiences of the awful day care provision, I managed to get him into a wonderful playschool in Singleton run by an ex teacher from England. When I applied there was a huge waiting list with no hope of getting a place before 2010. I went along to their open day, and was so bowled over by the place I was in floods of tears. The owner, bless her, managed to juggle things and was able to give my son 4 hours a week, which I'm so grateful for. Sadly there isn't much hope of getting any more hours in the forseable future though. I feel guilty because in England he'd be going to nursery 5 mornings per week now.

I recently checked out some of the high achieving schools NOR, and to my amazement Scotch offered my 7 year old a place on the phone! but I turned it down because they couldn't guarantee one for the 3 year old in the future. I can't give a decent education to one and not the other.

The schools issue has left me feeling jaded and angry, and I've ended up being very critical about WA as a consequence - silly, I know. Our plan is to go back to England this year, where I know access to decent education is far easier than here. Shame, because I'm actually starting to quite like it here now!

Good luck Nothernbird, I'm sure it'll all work out fine.

We have quite a few good schools south of the river...even public schools do well......friends children go to schools from Applecross SHS to Kelmscott SHS even Lynwood SHS and all are doing very well so far......most private schools SOR are fine to enroll and gain a place depending on your denomination....another friend has just enrolled her son into a private Catholic school for July and they are non Catholic's.....also my sons have done well at the local High School....both have/are studying Tee's and one has a Uni place...as my Dad says "if a child wants to learn they will learn anywhere"...there is a lot of truth to that saying....a lot does depend on the child and the parents...as well....not just the schools....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.