Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private Schools Perth North of River

Private Schools Perth North of River

Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private Schools Perth North of River

Originally Posted by northernbird
Some say there is always choice but I don't believe we have a choice. When I am able I would fill out as many out of catchment applications for the better schools as I can muster. I still have one private school to hear back from, I am on a short waiting list and the registrar has told me there is still hope so that makes me feel better. We looked at moving but in the current market we can't afford. We looked at renting ours out and renting in catchment for a better school but we can't afford to do that either as rent on our house would no way cover our mortgage. We have exhausted all trains of thought.
We are currently caught in similar dilemma - and it is driving me potty thinking about the combinations and permutations.

We are renting - we now have enough cash for a deposit for a house and will be able to keep the house in England which takes some pressure of us in terms needing to sell in a stagnant market.

The kids are happy at their primary school - and I'm pretty happy with it also. The local high schools in the suburbs around the school are poor and I don't want the kids to go there.

So if we buy in Perth we will need to buy into the catchment of a good school - best value is Willeton or possibly (but less likely) Churchlands (if you get the right suburb). But this means that we will need to take the kds out of their current primary school and to be honest I think prices have a long way to go so I don't really want to buy yet. Thrown into this is the possibility of Perth Modern which is going completely selective - but my kids might not get in - and what if the eldest does and the youngest doesn't.....? (And it's in an expensive suburb)

I'm at the stage when I'm heading back to Plan A - that is, going back to the UK where I think I could get the kids into a very high performing school in my old area. (And the kids have started telling me recently that they want to go back to the UK anyhow because they miss family!). They'd also get to access what I consider to be a superior higher education system and have a multitude of opportuinities (but then there are all the drawbacks of the UK - and I'd have to take a significant pay cut...but I'd be able to get a cheaper house...etc etc)...aaaaargh!!

I'd endorse what the OP says. Those of you moving to Perth, think very carefully about your location. Don't be seduced by the northern beaches if it means the price is your child's education.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:53 am
Account Closed

Three Legs is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm presuming here ...

You've looked at:

St. Stephens (Carramar), Peter Moyes Anglican & Quinns Baptist? They have all come back with the same response.

It is a major worry and we have given serious consideration to moving to Woodvale as a pre-cursor to this problem ... particularly as house prices are dropping and the suburb could become affordable again in the top locations.

The reports that are coming out of PM (Mindarie) are hardly filling me with excitement as it is and that's from parents with their children there.

Wanneroo is an absolute no no for us & Clarkson despite others high praises is not for us ... The boys do Karate there on a Sunday and the grounds are an absolute dump ... end of. Never judge a book by it's cover and all that ... but.

I agree ... it's a drama.

I'm considering changing my denomination & going all Catholic ...

I don't want to get into a debate about schooling on this thread but just wanted to warn new parents when coming over to consider their schooling options VERY carefully before they decide where to settle. I have today learnt that it is highly unlikely I will be able to get my daughter into the school I have had her name down at for almost 3 years. The other private schools in the area are either a) not an option for us due to religious differences or b) not even able to get on the waiting list 3 years ago.

I am now in a position that my daughter goes into year 8 in 2011 and the only option for high school at present is possibly the worst school in the northern suburbs.

Please consider very carefully.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:53 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NKSK version 2
We are currently caught in similar dilemma - and it is driving me potty thinking about the combinations and permutations.

We are renting - we now have enough cash for a deposit for a house and will be able to keep the house in England which takes some pressure of us in terms needing to sell in a stagnant market.

The kids are happy at their primary school - and I'm pretty happy with it also. The local high schools in the suburbs around the school are poor and I don't want the kids to go there.

So if we buy in Perth we will need to buy into the catchment of a good school - best value is Willeton or possibly (but less likely) Churchlands (if you get the right suburb). But this means that we will need to take the kds out of their current primary school and to be honest I think prices have a long way to go so I don't really want to buy yet. Thrown into this is the possibility of Perth Modern which is going completely selective - but my kids might not get in - and what if the eldest does and the youngest doesn't.....? (And it's in an expensive suburb)

I'm at the stage when I'm heading back to Plan A - that is, going back to the UK where I think I could get the kids into a very high performing school in my old area. (And the kids have started telling me recently that they want to go back to the UK anyhow because they miss family!). They'd also get to access what I consider to be a superior higher education system and have a multitude of opportuinities (but then there are all the drawbacks of the UK - and I'd have to take a significant pay cut...but I'd be able to get a cheaper house...etc etc)...aaaaargh!!

I'd endorse what the OP says. Those of you moving to Perth, think very carefully about your location. Don't be seduced by the northern beaches if it means the price is your child's education.
None of your options are options for us sadly I am still very high on the list of one more private school and an out of catchment SHS has told me that almost 50% of their kids are not from local intake so I should have no trouble gaining admission there. I can't do that until June 2010 so unless I get private wrapped up in the next month or so then I have a long old wait.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:55 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Three Legs
I'm presuming here ...

You've looked at:

St. Stephens (Carramar), Peter Moyes Anglican & Quinns Baptist? They have all come back with the same response.

It is a major worry and we have given serious consideration to moving to Woodvale as a pre-cursor to this problem ... particularly as house prices are dropping and the suburb could become affordable again in the top locations.

The reports that are coming out of PM (Mindarie) are hardly filling me with excitement as it is and that's from parents with their children there.

Wanneroo is an absolute no no for us & Clarkson despite others high praises is not for us ... The boys do Karate there on a Sunday and the grounds are an absolute dump ... end of. Never judge a book by it's cover and all that ... but.

I agree ... it's a drama.

St Stephens Carramar was a no. I haven't considered Peter Moyes and Quinns Baptist and don't intend to. An out of catchment SHS is a better option than either of those.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:56 am
Account Closed

Woodvale

St Stephens Carramar was a no. I haven't considered Peter Moyes and Quinns Baptist and don't intend to. An out of catchment SHS is a better option than either of those.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:57 am
Gutter Gob!!

Woodvale
Nope, they very rarely take out of catchment unless you are on one of their elite sports programmes.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:59 am
BE Forum Addict

NKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond reputeNKSK version 2 has a reputation beyond repute

You still aren't guaranteed a place at Sacred HEart.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 12:59 am
Account Closed

Kinross? ...

My neighbours boys go there and can't speak highly enough about the place.

Nope, they very rarely take out of catchment unless you are on one of their elite sports programmes.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:00 am
Gutter Gob!!

Kinross? ...

My neighbours boys go there and can't speak highly enough about the place.
Nope
BE Forum Addict

Not convinced by Woodvale SHS anyhow.

Which out of catchment are you trying or don't you want to say?

Last edited by NKSK version 2; Mar 10th 2009 at 1:02 am. Reason: Which not why
Account Closed

It begs the question ...

Are there enough schools?

Gutter Gob!!

You have to put your name down there at conception!
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:01 am
Gutter Gob!!

Not convinced by Woodvale SHS anyhow.

Why out of catchment are you trying or don't you want to say?
It isn't one of your favourite schools but gets much better results than a lot of its contemporaries.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

hoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant futurehoveactually has a brilliant future

It begs the question ...

Are there enough schools?
No........which is why two new ones are opening in 2011.
Old Mar 10th 2009, 1:02 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

You have to put your name down there at conception!
There's Prendiville College in Ocean Reef (Catholic) which is supposed to be OK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.