Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private number plates in Oz!

Private number plates in Oz!

Old May 19th 2009, 2:04 pm
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Private number plates in Oz!

Originally Posted by La Vida loca
I personally hate them, very crass and cheap tacky crap that smells of expat and idiots...but who am I too judge were all human.

heres a few flavours that I hate with a passion.

Man Utd
Man Utd Fan
bluenose
MANU FAN
Scouse
Scoucer

list goes on and on.........yawnnnnnn....yawnnnnnnnnnnnnn....
all found in the chavy northern suburbs....I must add in Perth.
In the last few days I've seen "ASBO" and "THE ASBO" - I mean, FFS no Aussie knows what an ASBO is. It's pathetic.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:11 pm
Heading to WA

roamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really niceroamer25 is just really nice

Private number plates are all over WA. It's part of the more money than sense culture that came with the mining boom.

They'd hardly look down on anyone else for it.
Old May 19th 2009, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney AUS - Leeds/Selby/York UK - Sydney AUS (April 2011)
seayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud ofseayork2002 has much to be proud of

I do not want to offend anyone on here but whenever I am in car with anyone in either Australia or the UK and we see one of those personlised numbers plates it is not a very nice thing that is said. I am by no means saying this is right or anything but the words "plonker" "dingbat" "try-hard" are said.

Have one by all means but it generally felt that it is (to use the British expression) the "chav" item to have.

I hope nobody is offended by this
Old May 19th 2009, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by tawkins1
Oh wind your neck in!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was asking a question not asking for a sarcastic reply
I am aware of children starving in the world which is why I subscribe to such charities DO YOU????
My sister lives in Perth & has done for some time now & doesn't frown upon private numberplates..... It was just something unusual for a special birthday...

THANK YOU for everyone who has given me some advice
Well Said.

As I couldnt think of what to get my wife one year for her birthday, I brought her a set of personalised plates. I got so many brownie points, it just wasnt funny. She is Australian and just loves them. I have my own number plates on my vehicle and not once has anyone made negative comments regarding these plates. and believe me, with the mates I have, they wouldnt miss a chance to "sledge the pommie". Please god, let England do well in the next ashes test, please please.

Barney
Old May 19th 2009, 8:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

POW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nicePOW148 is just really nice

Originally Posted by renth
In the last few days I've seen "ASBO" and "THE ASBO" - I mean, FFS no Aussie knows what an ASBO is. It's pathetic.
Their not alone, this pommie doesnt even know what ASBO stands for.

Barney
Old May 19th 2009, 8:54 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by POW148
Well Said.

As I couldnt think of what to get my wife one year for her birthday, I brought her a set of personalised plates. I got so many brownie points, it just wasnt funny. She is Australian and just loves them. I have my own number plates on my vehicle and not once has anyone made negative comments regarding these plates. and believe me, with the mates I have, they wouldnt miss a chance to "sledge the pommie". Please god, let England do well in the next ashes test, please please.

Barney
Thanks Barney!
Old May 20th 2009, 1:35 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
I think you missed the point. My post was trying to save the OP wasting her money. Private plates are not common here and there are many in this society who would frown on them.
Certainly they are all over the place here. They do give an indication who not to park up against - for example there's one plated "UNRULY" just up the road now!

I can think of several billion better ways of spending my money than vanity plates, but if someone's that way inclined who am I to object?
Old May 20th 2009, 1:45 am
Full Throttle

stevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond reputestevemich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
Certainly they are all over the place here. They do give an indication who not to park up against - for example there's one plated "UNRULY" just up the road now!

I can think of several billion better ways of spending my money than vanity plates, but if someone's that way inclined who am I to object?
I looked into it as I thought it would be nice to have a plate with the initials of all the family members on it (it spelt JEMS, although it is a good thing I did not as we now have another member ) ... however if I remember correctly you have to pay an ongoing annual fee that varies in $ depending on the letter/number combination on the plate...

heres a link to the RTA in NSW - $140 fee for a plate with just letters, with a $400 annual fee thereafter...
http://www.myplates.com.au/
Old May 20th 2009, 2:18 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by stevemich
heres a link to the RTA in NSW - $140 fee for a plate with just letters, with a $400 annual fee thereafter...
http://www.myplates.com.au/
The QLD government site for Personalised Private plates is at: http://www.ppq.com.au/

Advertising such as :
Personalised plates are the perfect gift for any occasion.

No annual fees... just an initial purchase price, in Queensland.

Old May 20th 2009, 3:19 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
I think you missed the point. My post was trying to save the OP wasting her money. Private plates are not common here and there are many in this society who would frown on them.

I beg to differ I have never seen so many personalised plates or new cars for that matter.
Old May 21st 2009, 3:43 am
Forum Regular

juddy will become famous soon enoughjuddy will become famous soon enough

Funny that, there ten a penny here..

Originally Posted by rab
Old May 21st 2009, 3:45 am
Oiiii.. You slaggg!

DunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond reputeDunRoaminTheUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
Much like sand is not common on the Gold Coast?

They're everywhere here....
Old May 21st 2009, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

stufi1997 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don't care what anyone thinks, I have a personalised plate so there........
It cost me $180 (no annual fee) It's green and white and matches my 1995 hyundai excel in colour....I have gotten a bit of light hearted stick but so what that's why you buy a plate......to stand out from the crowd. I could never have afforded one in the UK and thought they were a waste of money anyway, but hey I work for it if I want to waste $180 then that's up to me

I think it's a great birthday pressie My friend bought her hubby one for his 40th too
Old May 21st 2009, 7:31 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stufi1997
I don't care what anyone thinks, I have a personalised plate so there........
It cost me $180 (no annual fee) It's green and white and matches my 1995 hyundai excel in colour....I have gotten a bit of light hearted stick but so what that's why you buy a plate......to stand out from the crowd. I could never have afforded one in the UK and thought they were a waste of money anyway, but hey I work for it if I want to waste $180 then that's up to me

I think it's a great birthday pressie My friend bought her hubby one for his 40th too
Old May 21st 2009, 7:38 am

Siren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond reputeSiren & Brian has a reputation beyond repute

I like the one on the porche that says .......... Stolen. A youngish bloke drives it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.