Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Private number plates in Oz!

Private number plates in Oz!

Old May 19th 2009, 10:47 am
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold
Default Private number plates in Oz!

I noticed on my visit to Perth that private number plates were quite the norm...
Does anyone know how to get one whilst we are still living in the UK?
The reason I ask is i am thinking of buying my hubby one for his 40th but I dont think we'll have made the move to Oz by then...
Any info appreciated. Thanks x
Old May 19th 2009, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

Swing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura aboutSwing-Your-Pants has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Private number plates in Oz!

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1202.asp

Should explain all.
Old May 19th 2009, 11:12 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

I think you'll need a car before you buy a number plate.

To be honest I would save your money or think of something else. The Aussies will think you are either trying to be clever or pretentious and that wouldn't be a good start to moving here.

What is cool or quirky in the UK is sometimes seen as a waste of money here, and I would probably agree.

After all there are children dying of starvation in some countries and you want to spend money on a unique car number?

There again EXPAT1 would be good but I bet it's taken!
Old May 19th 2009, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

mad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to beholdmad city fan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rab

To be honest I would save your money or think of something else. The Aussies will think you are either trying to be clever or pretentious and that wouldn't be a good start to moving here.

What is cool or quirky in the UK is sometimes seen as a waste of money here, and I would probably agree.

After all there are children dying of starvation in some countries and you want to spend money on a unique car number?

so I take it every spare penny you have you give to charity or to these third world countries, so when its your partners big 30, 40 or how ever old you are enlighten us to what it is you buy thats not a waste of money
Old May 19th 2009, 11:27 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

My favourite one to date has to be... YES DEAR.
Old May 19th 2009, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Saw the cheesiest plate on a souped up Vauxhall ........erm......Holden and it read "ADONIS". Made me think more along the lines of ARSEH*LE!
Old May 19th 2009, 11:44 am
rab
Forum Regular

rab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond reputerab has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mad city fan
so I take it every spare penny you have you give to charity or to these third world countries, so when its your partners big 30, 40 or how ever old you are enlighten us to what it is you buy thats not a waste of money
I think you missed the point. My post was trying to save the OP wasting her money. Private plates are not common here and there are many in this society who would frown on them.
Old May 19th 2009, 11:46 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by rab
I think you missed the point. My post was trying to save the OP wasting her money. Private plates are not common here and there are many in this society who would frown on them.
frown on them? that's unAustralian!
Old May 19th 2009, 11:48 am
locked in the attic

rosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond reputerosscov1970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
I'm in Adelaide and I see loads every day. But then I do seem to spend half my life on Anzac Highway.
Old May 19th 2009, 11:49 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
As it's her money and she thinks her husband would love one for his birthday what anyone else thinks or believes is completely irrelevant. If Australians frown upon them (apparently) why is there such a huge market for them and so many car owners have them?
Old May 19th 2009, 12:30 pm
Living the dream

tawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to beholdtawkins1 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rab

Oh wind your neck in!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was asking a question not asking for a sarcastic reply
I am aware of children starving in the world which is why I subscribe to such charities DO YOU????
My sister lives in Perth & has done for some time now & doesn't frown upon private numberplates..... It was just something unusual for a special birthday...

THANK YOU for everyone who has given me some advice
Old May 19th 2009, 12:55 pm
Harrip

harrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to beholdharrip is a splendid one to behold

I think such plates are quite common here - and used by expats and non expats alike! My favourite being "Crash" on a driving instructors car.

Personally I would not buy one for personal use, but I think they have there place in marketing a business in the area in which you drive regularly - and is therefore tax deductable.
Old May 19th 2009, 1:07 pm
_

Kalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond reputeKalenge has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rab
Not common? They're as common as expats over here

The fact that you can literally have any word that you want (within reason) does take away any of the cleverness of a personalised plate though. So apart from a few witty ones, most of them do come across as quite pretentious.
Old May 19th 2009, 1:10 pm
Account Closed

La Vida loca is an unknown quantity at this point

I personally hate them, very crass and cheap tacky crap that smells of expat and idiots...but who am I too judge were all human.

heres a few flavours that I hate with a passion.

Man Utd
Man Utd Fan
bluenose
MANU FAN
Scouse
Scoucer

list goes on and on.........yawnnnnnn....yawnnnnnnnnnnnnn....
all found in the chavy northern suburbs....I must add in Perth.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

hantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud ofhantsfamily1 has much to be proud of

I dont know why some people think that private number plates are only bought by expats.

I live in Queensland and there are loads of them owned by all sorts of people. One thing I have never seen is a car with private number plates and a George cross or Union Jack flying out of the window.

Buy a number plate and enjoy it, could also be an investment in the long run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.