British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Private number plates in Oz! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/private-number-plates-oz-609992/)

tawkins1 May 19th 2009 10:47 am

Private number plates in Oz!

I noticed on my visit to Perth that private number plates were quite the norm...
Does anyone know how to get one whilst we are still living in the UK?
The reason I ask is i am thinking of buying my hubby one for his 40th but I dont think we'll have made the move to Oz by then...
Any info appreciated. Thanks x

Swing-Your-Pants May 19th 2009 11:03 am

Re: Private number plates in Oz!

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1202.asp

Should explain all.

rab May 19th 2009 11:12 am

I think you'll need a car before you buy a number plate.

To be honest I would save your money or think of something else. The Aussies will think you are either trying to be clever or pretentious and that wouldn't be a good start to moving here.

What is cool or quirky in the UK is sometimes seen as a waste of money here, and I would probably agree.

After all there are children dying of starvation in some countries and you want to spend money on a unique car number?

There again EXPAT1 would be good but I bet it's taken!

mad city fan May 19th 2009 11:23 am

Originally Posted by rab (Post 7584985)

To be honest I would save your money or think of something else. The Aussies will think you are either trying to be clever or pretentious and that wouldn't be a good start to moving here.

What is cool or quirky in the UK is sometimes seen as a waste of money here, and I would probably agree.

After all there are children dying of starvation in some countries and you want to spend money on a unique car number?

:confused: so I take it every spare penny you have you give to charity or to these third world countries, so when its your partners big 30, 40 or how ever old you are enlighten us to what it is you buy thats not a waste of money :frown:

rosscov1970 May 19th 2009 11:27 am

My favourite one to date has to be... YES DEAR. :D

Cant rain all the time2 May 19th 2009 11:27 am

Saw the cheesiest plate on a souped up Vauxhall ........erm......Holden and it read "ADONIS". Made me think more along the lines of ARSEH*LE!

rab May 19th 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by mad city fan (Post 7585016)
:confused: so I take it every spare penny you have you give to charity or to these third world countries, so when its your partners big 30, 40 or how ever old you are enlighten us to what it is you buy thats not a waste of money :frown:

I think you missed the point. My post was trying to save the OP wasting her money. Private plates are not common here and there are many in this society who would frown on them.

kporte May 19th 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by rab (Post 7585079)
I think you missed the point. My post was trying to save the OP wasting her money. Private plates are not common here and there are many in this society who would frown on them.

frown on them? that's unAustralian!

rosscov1970 May 19th 2009 11:48 am

:blink: I'm in Adelaide and I see loads every day. But then I do seem to spend half my life on Anzac Highway.

moneypenny20 May 19th 2009 11:49 am

As it's her money and she thinks her husband would love one for his birthday what anyone else thinks or believes is completely irrelevant. If Australians frown upon them (apparently) why is there such a huge market for them and so many car owners have them?

tawkins1 May 19th 2009 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by rab (Post 7584985)

Oh wind your neck in!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was asking a question not asking for a sarcastic reply :thumbdown:
I am aware of children starving in the world which is why I subscribe to such charities DO YOU????
My sister lives in Perth & has done for some time now & doesn't frown upon private numberplates..... It was just something unusual for a special birthday...

THANK YOU for everyone who has given me some advice :wub:

harrip May 19th 2009 12:55 pm

I think such plates are quite common here - and used by expats and non expats alike! My favourite being "Crash" on a driving instructors car.

Personally I would not buy one for personal use, but I think they have there place in marketing a business in the area in which you drive regularly - and is therefore tax deductable.

Kalenge May 19th 2009 1:07 pm

Not common? They're as common as expats over here :lol:

The fact that you can literally have any word that you want (within reason) does take away any of the cleverness of a personalised plate though. So apart from a few witty ones, most of them do come across as quite pretentious.

La Vida loca May 19th 2009 1:10 pm

I personally hate them, very crass and cheap tacky crap that smells of expat and idiots...but who am I too judge were all human.

heres a few flavours that I hate with a passion.

Man Utd
Man Utd Fan
bluenose
MANU FAN
Scouse
Scoucer

list goes on and on.........yawnnnnnn....yawnnnnnnnnnnnnn....
all found in the chavy northern suburbs....I must add in Perth.

hantsfamily1 May 19th 2009 2:03 pm

I dont know why some people think that private number plates are only bought by expats.

I live in Queensland and there are loads of them owned by all sorts of people. One thing I have never seen is a car with private number plates and a George cross or Union Jack flying out of the window.

Buy a number plate and enjoy it, could also be an investment in the long run.