British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Australia (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/)
-   -   Private number plates in Oz! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/australia-54/private-number-plates-oz-609992/)

tawkins1 May 19th 2009 10:47 am

Private number plates in Oz!

I noticed on my visit to Perth that private number plates were quite the norm...
Does anyone know how to get one whilst we are still living in the UK?
The reason I ask is i am thinking of buying my hubby one for his 40th but I dont think we'll have made the move to Oz by then...
Any info appreciated. Thanks x

Swing-Your-Pants May 19th 2009 11:03 am

Re: Private number plates in Oz!

http://www.dpi.wa.gov.au/licensing/1202.asp

Should explain all.

rab May 19th 2009 11:12 am

I think you'll need a car before you buy a number plate.

To be honest I would save your money or think of something else. The Aussies will think you are either trying to be clever or pretentious and that wouldn't be a good start to moving here.

What is cool or quirky in the UK is sometimes seen as a waste of money here, and I would probably agree.

After all there are children dying of starvation in some countries and you want to spend money on a unique car number?

There again EXPAT1 would be good but I bet it's taken!

mad city fan May 19th 2009 11:23 am

Originally Posted by rab (Post 7584985)

To be honest I would save your money or think of something else. The Aussies will think you are either trying to be clever or pretentious and that wouldn't be a good start to moving here.

What is cool or quirky in the UK is sometimes seen as a waste of money here, and I would probably agree.

After all there are children dying of starvation in some countries and you want to spend money on a unique car number?

:confused: so I take it every spare penny you have you give to charity or to these third world countries, so when its your partners big 30, 40 or how ever old you are enlighten us to what it is you buy thats not a waste of money :frown:

rosscov1970 May 19th 2009 11:27 am

My favourite one to date has to be... YES DEAR. :D

Cant rain all the time2 May 19th 2009 11:27 am

Saw the cheesiest plate on a souped up Vauxhall ........erm......Holden and it read "ADONIS". Made me think more along the lines of ARSEH*LE!

rab May 19th 2009 11:44 am

Originally Posted by mad city fan (Post 7585016)
:confused: so I take it every spare penny you have you give to charity or to these third world countries, so when its your partners big 30, 40 or how ever old you are enlighten us to what it is you buy thats not a waste of money :frown:

I think you missed the point. My post was trying to save the OP wasting her money. Private plates are not common here and there are many in this society who would frown on them.

kporte May 19th 2009 11:46 am

Originally Posted by rab (Post 7585079)
I think you missed the point. My post was trying to save the OP wasting her money. Private plates are not common here and there are many in this society who would frown on them.

frown on them? that's unAustralian!

rosscov1970 May 19th 2009 11:48 am

:blink: I'm in Adelaide and I see loads every day. But then I do seem to spend half my life on Anzac Highway.

moneypenny20 May 19th 2009 11:49 am

As it's her money and she thinks her husband would love one for his birthday what anyone else thinks or believes is completely irrelevant. If Australians frown upon them (apparently) why is there such a huge market for them and so many car owners have them?

tawkins1 May 19th 2009 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by rab (Post 7584985)

Oh wind your neck in!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was asking a question not asking for a sarcastic reply :thumbdown:
I am aware of children starving in the world which is why I subscribe to such charities DO YOU????
My sister lives in Perth & has done for some time now & doesn't frown upon private numberplates..... It was just something unusual for a special birthday...

THANK YOU for everyone who has given me some advice :wub:

harrip May 19th 2009 12:55 pm

I think such plates are quite common here - and used by expats and non expats alike! My favourite being "Crash" on a driving instructors car.

Personally I would not buy one for personal use, but I think they have there place in marketing a business in the area in which you drive regularly - and is therefore tax deductable.

Kalenge May 19th 2009 1:07 pm

Not common? They're as common as expats over here :lol:

The fact that you can literally have any word that you want (within reason) does take away any of the cleverness of a personalised plate though. So apart from a few witty ones, most of them do come across as quite pretentious.

La Vida loca May 19th 2009 1:10 pm

I personally hate them, very crass and cheap tacky crap that smells of expat and idiots...but who am I too judge were all human.

heres a few flavours that I hate with a passion.

Man Utd
Man Utd Fan
bluenose
MANU FAN
Scouse
Scoucer

list goes on and on.........yawnnnnnn....yawnnnnnnnnnnnnn....
all found in the chavy northern suburbs....I must add in Perth.

hantsfamily1 May 19th 2009 2:03 pm

I dont know why some people think that private number plates are only bought by expats.

I live in Queensland and there are loads of them owned by all sorts of people. One thing I have never seen is a car with private number plates and a George cross or Union Jack flying out of the window.

Buy a number plate and enjoy it, could also be an investment in the long run.

renth May 19th 2009 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by La Vida loca (Post 7585308)
I personally hate them, very crass and cheap tacky crap that smells of expat and idiots...but who am I too judge were all human.

heres a few flavours that I hate with a passion.

Man Utd
Man Utd Fan
bluenose
MANU FAN
Scouse
Scoucer

list goes on and on.........yawnnnnnn....yawnnnnnnnnnnnnn....
all found in the chavy northern suburbs....I must add in Perth.

In the last few days I've seen "ASBO" and "THE ASBO" - I mean, FFS no Aussie knows what an ASBO is. It's pathetic.

roamer25 May 19th 2009 2:11 pm

Private number plates are all over WA. It's part of the more money than sense culture that came with the mining boom.

They'd hardly look down on anyone else for it.

seayork2002 May 19th 2009 3:57 pm

I do not want to offend anyone on here but whenever I am in car with anyone in either Australia or the UK and we see one of those personlised numbers plates it is not a very nice thing that is said. I am by no means saying this is right or anything but the words "plonker" "dingbat" "try-hard" are said.

Have one by all means but it generally felt that it is (to use the British expression) the "chav" item to have.

I hope nobody is offended by this

POW148 May 19th 2009 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 7585196)
Oh wind your neck in!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was asking a question not asking for a sarcastic reply :thumbdown:
I am aware of children starving in the world which is why I subscribe to such charities DO YOU????
My sister lives in Perth & has done for some time now & doesn't frown upon private numberplates..... It was just something unusual for a special birthday...

Well Said.

As I couldnt think of what to get my wife one year for her birthday, I brought her a set of personalised plates. I got so many brownie points, it just wasnt funny. She is Australian and just loves them. I have my own number plates on my vehicle and not once has anyone made negative comments regarding these plates. and believe me, with the mates I have, they wouldnt miss a chance to "sledge the pommie". Please god, let England do well in the next ashes test, please please.

Barney:thumbup:

POW148 May 19th 2009 8:51 pm

Originally Posted by renth (Post 7585451)
In the last few days I've seen "ASBO" and "THE ASBO" - I mean, FFS no Aussie knows what an ASBO is. It's pathetic.

Their not alone, this pommie doesnt even know what ASBO stands for.

tawkins1 May 19th 2009 8:54 pm

Originally Posted by POW148 (Post 7586402)
Well Said.

As I couldnt think of what to get my wife one year for her birthday, I brought her a set of personalised plates. I got so many brownie points, it just wasnt funny. She is Australian and just loves them. I have my own number plates on my vehicle and not once has anyone made negative comments regarding these plates. and believe me, with the mates I have, they wouldnt miss a chance to "sledge the pommie". Please god, let England do well in the next ashes test, please please.

Thanks Barney! :thumbsup:

Wol May 20th 2009 1:35 am

Certainly they are all over the place here. They do give an indication who not to park up against - for example there's one plated "UNRULY" just up the road now!

I can think of several billion better ways of spending my money than vanity plates, but if someone's that way inclined who am I to object?

stevemich May 20th 2009 1:45 am

Originally Posted by Wol (Post 7587000)
Certainly they are all over the place here. They do give an indication who not to park up against - for example there's one plated "UNRULY" just up the road now!

I can think of several billion better ways of spending my money than vanity plates, but if someone's that way inclined who am I to object?

I looked into it as I thought it would be nice to have a plate with the initials of all the family members on it (it spelt JEMS, although it is a good thing I did not as we now have another member :p) ... however if I remember correctly you have to pay an ongoing annual fee that varies in $ depending on the letter/number combination on the plate...

heres a link to the RTA in NSW - $140 fee for a plate with just letters, with a $400 annual fee thereafter...
http://www.myplates.com.au/

ABCDiamond May 20th 2009 2:18 am

Originally Posted by stevemich (Post 7587020)
heres a link to the RTA in NSW - $140 fee for a plate with just letters, with a $400 annual fee thereafter...
http://www.myplates.com.au/

The QLD government site for Personalised Private plates is at: http://www.ppq.com.au/

Advertising such as :

Personalised plates are the perfect gift for any occasion.
:thumbup:

No annual fees... just an initial purchase price, in Queensland.
http://www.ppq.com.au/images/footer/gov_logo.gif
http://www.ppq.com.au/images/header/logo.gif

ACE May 20th 2009 3:19 am

I beg to differ I have never seen so many personalised plates or new cars for that matter.

juddy May 21st 2009 3:43 am

Funny that, there ten a penny here..

DunRoaminTheUK May 21st 2009 3:45 am

Much like sand is not common on the Gold Coast?

They're everywhere here....

stufi1997 May 21st 2009 5:43 am

I don't care what anyone thinks, I have a personalised plate so there........:p
It cost me $180 (no annual fee) It's green and white and matches my 1995 hyundai excel in colour....I have gotten a bit of light hearted stick but so what that's why you buy a plate......to stand out from the crowd. I could never have afforded one in the UK and thought they were a waste of money anyway, but hey I work for it if I want to waste $180 then that's up to me:rofl:

I think it's a great birthday pressie:thumbup: My friend bought her hubby one for his 40th too

tawkins1 May 21st 2009 7:31 am

Originally Posted by stufi1997 (Post 7591126)
I don't care what anyone thinks, I have a personalised plate so there........:p
It cost me $180 (no annual fee) It's green and white and matches my 1995 hyundai excel in colour....I have gotten a bit of light hearted stick but so what that's why you buy a plate......to stand out from the crowd. I could never have afforded one in the UK and thought they were a waste of money anyway, but hey I work for it if I want to waste $180 then that's up to me:rofl:

I think it's a great birthday pressie:thumbup: My friend bought her hubby one for his 40th too

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Siren & Brian May 21st 2009 7:38 am

I like the one on the porche that says .......... Stolen. A youngish bloke drives it.

sparkley23 May 21st 2009 8:00 am

I love personalised plates, they liven up the place! Its your car, you do what you want with it, sure beats furry dice! I bought one as it was something I could never have in the UK and yet was so accessible and cheap here (friends back home are very jealous!), plus it matches my car colour so makes the car look nicer plus I got slimline plates which fitted my car better than the bog standard ones that came with it that hung down over the back bumper as they were too big. Much nicer to look at. I only have my initials and my fave number. It does get your recognised by friends when you are out and about though, and of course you never see them without personalised plates as their cars look the same as a million others. As long as you aren't visiting places you don't want to be seen at/shouldn't be then where's the harm! :thumbup:

Gemnic May 21st 2009 8:06 am

Originally Posted by tawkins1 (Post 7585196)

Personally, I think it's a BRILLIANT birthday gift! Go for it hon!!!
My sis is in Perth and has a very unique plate and has never, as far as I know, been 'frowned upon'!!!

Wol May 21st 2009 10:23 am

Originally Posted by sparkley23 (Post 7591373)
I love personalised plates, they liven up the place! Its your car, you do what you want with it, sure beats furry dice! I bought one as it was something I could never have in the UK and yet was so accessible and cheap here (friends back home are very jealous!), plus it matches my car colour so makes the car look nicer plus I got slimline plates which fitted my car better than the bog standard ones that came with it that hung down over the back bumper as they were too big. Much nicer to look at. I only have my initials and my fave number. It does get your recognised by friends when you are out and about though, and of course you never see them without personalised plates as their cars look the same as a million others. As long as you aren't visiting places you don't want to be seen at/shouldn't be then where's the harm! :thumbup:

I spent *years* trying to find some furry dice to hang in the windscreen of the big rig I used to drive - but there always seemed to be a world shortage!

stufi1997 May 21st 2009 12:14 pm

:rofl:I've got 3 sets of fluffy dice too (my son has a penchant for them and looks out for them at garage sales for me:rofl:) and some novelty air freshners.... the old dears love it:thumbup:

hantsfamily1 May 21st 2009 2:52 pm

I live on the Gold Coast and there is an oldish looking guy that drives a Bentley with the number plate `DOUGH`

Good on him I say.

Brisben May 21st 2009 8:43 pm

Originally Posted by rosscov1970 (Post 7585025)
My favourite one to date has to be... YES DEAR. :D

I have seen a few good ones.

Women driving nice cars saying

Revenge:lol:

He paid:D

One here on an old white comoddore

Pommy B:thumbup:

4500 Times May 21st 2009 9:00 pm

Originally Posted by Brisben (Post 7593433)
I have seen a few good ones.

Women driving nice cars saying

Revenge:lol:

He paid:D

One here on an old white comoddore

Pommy B:thumbup:

Here are a few i've noticed here in Brissie:

On a Lambo = YOU WISH
On a Ferrari = PAST YA

On a XR8 = P3NIS
On a BMW = C4NT

juddy May 21st 2009 10:47 pm

I love the ones on Hummers, like H3umer not content with driving the worst car on the planet, they need a number plate reminding them of the car they drive! How strange

Brisben May 22nd 2009 12:28 am

Originally Posted by 4500 Times (Post 7593475)
Here are a few i've noticed here in Brissie:

On a Lambo = YOU WISH
On a Ferrari = PAST YA

On a XR8 = P3NIS
On a BMW = C4NT

Also a Lambo - Scary.;)

I hate the ones with peoples names, I mean cmon use your imagination.

renth May 22nd 2009 12:36 am

Originally Posted by juddy (Post 7593673)
I love the ones on Hummers, like H3umer not content with driving the worst car on the planet, they need a number plate reminding them of the car they drive! How strange

I hate that too, number plates that say what the car is like "BMW 323" or "SSS V8".