Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Private Health Worth it? - Decision is made

Is Private Health Worth it? - Decision is made

Old Feb 20th 2012, 3:38 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Private Health Worth it? - Decision is made

Originally Posted by Pollyana
As opposed to you saying the opposite.

If you two wish to start that discussion again could you b*gger off and do it HERE please.
Where did I say the 'opposite' on this?

Personally I think that both systems, although flawed, deliver good overall care - I've always had good treatment in both countries. So there's my viewpoint on this - hardly the 'opposite'.

It would be cool if you could get your facts right.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 7:13 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
For many years I've paid into private health not knowing if the Hospital Cover element was worth it. Especially after my daughter had to go in as an emergency patient and got EXACTLY the same treatment as she would have done as a public patient and it cost me over a grand in excess/gap fees.

I even spent 5 nights in Joondalup as a public patient last year - amazing treatment in a great hospital, cost to me? nothing.

So when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple of months ago we decided to have the operation in the public system. Big mistake.

Don't get me wrong, her treatment and the medical professionals were/are excellent but what I hadn't bargained for was ho Royal Perth Hospital is some sort of magnet for the worst scum of WA.

When my wife could have been in a nice private room at The Mount Hospital instead she had to endure a succession of bogans, aborigines, prisoners and gangsters.

She was only in for 2 nights but she had to sit in the waiting room on 2 occasions next to women handcuffed to prison officers, people constantly fing and blinding to the staff, threatening to sue them. Being kept up all night in the ward by loud, swearing bogans who refused to leave after visiting hours and to cap it all 2 gangsters came in and threatened a guy with a knife. That was for only 2 nights!

When my friend's husband lay dying in Royal Perth she was too terrified to leave the hospital at night without security as when you leave you have to run a gauntlet of aborigines.

Anyway, the good thing about this is I have totally made up my mind about private health and any future surgeries my family has to have will be done privately.
My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008. We had top private cover, and boy am I glad we did.

She had the best Oncologist in WA, one the best breast surgeons (icing on the cake is that they are a husband and wife team, so triangular communication was always spot on), most of her ops/treatment at the Mount Private Hospital (couldn't fault them) + her Rads out of a brand new Private facility in Wembley (more like a 6* Hotel).

The other benefit of being Private (and hence treated at the Mount) is that it's a clinical trials hospital. My wife received an additional drug and extra monitoring/assessment, even to this day. Studies show that patients on clinical trials, even those that are given a placebo, tend to fair better. When I enquired about paying for the trial drug I was told it would have cost me $70,000.00.

It's a cliche, but there's nothing more important than your and your family's health. So if you can afford it, go private.

Last edited by Bazza Boy; Feb 21st 2012 at 7:17 am.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 9:07 am
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

True re the bogans.
But public hospitals pay the staff (nurses ) more and have a much better staff to patient ratio. Some private hospitals don't have the facilities to cope if something goes really wrong, child birth being an example.
Out next door neighbor was induced a few weeks early to fit in with her doctors holiday plans.
I think getting a private room in a public hospital is the best of both worlds.

For many years I've paid into private health not knowing if the Hospital Cover element was worth it. Especially after my daughter had to go in as an emergency patient and got EXACTLY the same treatment as she would have done as a public patient and it cost me over a grand in excess/gap fees.

I even spent 5 nights in Joondalup as a public patient last year - amazing treatment in a great hospital, cost to me? nothing.

So when my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer a couple of months ago we decided to have the operation in the public system. Big mistake.

Don't get me wrong, her treatment and the medical professionals were/are excellent but what I hadn't bargained for was ho Royal Perth Hospital is some sort of magnet for the worst scum of WA.

When my wife could have been in a nice private room at The Mount Hospital instead she had to endure a succession of bogans, aborigines, prisoners and gangsters.

She was only in for 2 nights but she had to sit in the waiting room on 2 occasions next to women handcuffed to prison officers, people constantly fing and blinding to the staff, threatening to sue them. Being kept up all night in the ward by loud, swearing bogans who refused to leave after visiting hours and to cap it all 2 gangsters came in and threatened a guy with a knife. That was for only 2 nights!

When my friend's husband lay dying in Royal Perth she was too terrified to leave the hospital at night without security as when you leave you have to run a gauntlet of aborigines.

Anyway, the good thing about this is I have totally made up my mind about private health and any future surgeries my family has to have will be done privately.
Old Feb 21st 2012, 11:42 am

asher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond reputeasher has a reputation beyond repute

I had an ovarian tumour last year luckily it was benign but i went private in Sydney and boy do I regret it!

the public hospitals in Sutherland are good normally

I had poor care in the private hospital and was charged top dollar for it! we have top insurance cover the surgeon too the medicare fee the insurance fee the gap cover and still had the nerve to charge me extra on top as did the anaesthetist and all the assistants!

I should have gone public

regards to mrs Renth
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I have top of the range cover. It is a perk with my job and it covers my wife as well.
Last year i took ill with sudden pains and was admitted to Peel Health (Mandurah Hospital) It is both a private and public hospital so on admission they asked if i wanted public or private but because i didnt have my insurance details with me i just went public. Have to say the care was excellent. I have zero to complain about. I was in for a week and the only difference between what i got and what i would have had in private was i would have had a private room but in public it was two of us in a room. Also, apparently the private get slightly better food and a glass of wine with dinner. I could not have had the wine and the food was fine.

Got to say, after that experience if i had to pay for the cover i would not bother.
Old Feb 22nd 2012, 9:33 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bazza Boy
My wife was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2008. We had top private cover, and boy am I glad we did.

She had the best Oncologist in WA, one the best breast surgeons (icing on the cake is that they are a husband and wife team, so triangular communication was always spot on), most of her ops/treatment at the Mount Private Hospital (couldn't fault them) + her Rads out of a brand new Private facility in Wembley (more like a 6* Hotel).

The other benefit of being Private (and hence treated at the Mount) is that it's a clinical trials hospital. My wife received an additional drug and extra monitoring/assessment, even to this day. Studies show that patients on clinical trials, even those that are given a placebo, tend to fair better. When I enquired about paying for the trial drug I was told it would have cost me $70,000.00.

It's a cliche, but there's nothing more important than your and your family's health. So if you can afford it, go private.
I think you'll find that both of those doctors also hold public positions. The breast surgeon works out of RPH and IIRC so does the Rad Onc. Oh, and being husband and wife has nothing to do with them communicating about your wife's treatment. It has more to do with both of them dictating letters and their office staff getting them out in a timely manner. I can almost guarentee you that they don't go home at night and talk about individual patients' care.

You also realise that RPH is involved in loads of clinical trials, don't you? The big red building on Murray Street just behind Breast Screen is the MRF (Medical Research Foundation) building.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 6:31 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

Its really rather simple:
Quality of medical treatment in public or private will be identical. Same doctor - same skill - same concern - same dedication (same sh*t - shinier bucket)
Type of treatment may well be different - e.g., quality of knee replacement used, pacemaker, birthing options...
Elective surgery waiting times for private treatment - very short.
Elective surgery waiting times for public treatment - very long.
As you get old and need minor heart surgery or joint replacements - if you are on public- you will probably die first (2 - 3 year wait). If private - you get instant treatment.
In emergency cases - apart from private rooms and mildly better dinners, treatment is identical in quality and speed. If you are private - you will face a big "gap" bill.
Best option if if you are >40 you should have private for non-emergency stuff . If younger, you may need the same for your kids or when having them!
In emergency situations - don't tell them you have private insurance - it will save you a fortune
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Bazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond reputeBazza Boy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorothy
I think you'll find that both of those doctors also hold public positions. The breast surgeon works out of RPH and IIRC so does the Rad Onc.
Yes, of course - as do most surgeons/oncs

Oh, and being husband and wife has nothing to do with them communicating about your wife's treatment. It has more to do with both of them dictating letters and their office staff getting them out in a timely manner. I can almost guarentee you that they don't go home at night and talk about individual patients' care.
Disagree. I've seen the communication between their adjoining offices. And I also know they've discussed my wife away from the hospital.

You also realise that RPH is involved in loads of clinical trials, don't you? The big red building on Murray Street just behind Breast Screen is the MRF (Medical Research Foundation) building.
They are, but not to the extent of the Mount with regards to Breast Cancer. The particular drug my wife received, she would not have got at the RPH
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:26 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Not necessarily true. We had an appointment with Tiddler's surgeon on Monday with the hope of planning major surgery in the public system for June/July if we were lucky. The op has been booked for early April.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63
Its really rather simple:
Quality of medical treatment in public or private will be identical. Same doctor - same skill - same concern - same dedication (same sh*t - shinier bucket)
Type of treatment may well be different - e.g., quality of knee replacement used, pacemaker, birthing options...
As you get old and need minor heart surgery or joint replacements - if you are on public- you will probably die first (2 - 3 year wait). If private - you get instant treatment.
In emergency cases - apart from private rooms and mildly better dinners, treatment is identical in quality and speed. If you are private - you will face a big "gap" bill.
Best option if if you are >40 you should have private for non-emergency stuff . If younger, you may need the same for your kids or when having them!
In emergency situations - don't tell them you have private insurance - it will save you a fortune
It may well be the same Doctor, but look into it before assuming anything...

The difference, in Private said surgeon actually does the operation, in Public he is often only supervising students doing the operation.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought that people who wished my wife and I well might like to know she had her surgery a couple of weeks ago.

The tumour was 4cm which was much bigger than they first thought. The good news is they got it all out and didn't find any cancer in the lymph glands.

She won't need chemo but will start the radiotherapy in a few weeks plus hormone therapy for 5 years.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:37 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

I just thought that people who wished my wife and I well might like to know she had her surgery a couple of weeks ago.

The tumour was 4cm which was much bigger than they first thought. The good news is they got it all out and didn't find any cancer in the lymph glands.

She won't need chemo but will start the radiotherapy in a few weeks plus hormone therapy for 5 years.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 2:38 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

Wishing her all the very best with that, renth, and I know it must be tough for you too.
Old Mar 1st 2012, 3:37 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Hope everything goes well
Old Mar 1st 2012, 4:01 am
BE Forum Addict

papilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond reputepapilon has a reputation beyond repute

Hope all goes well for you and the family

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.