Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Poor Wages In Oz

The Poor Wages In Oz

Old Sep 24th 2006, 9:28 am
Forum Regular

canifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Poor Wages In Oz

Originally Posted by busterboy
This really is a question.....Do you think that Oz banks are more likely to practice irresponsible lending? I ask because I am hearing of 5 x main salary and 50 year mortgage tales etc from people in Australia. If there is irresponsible lending practices, people who may be vulnerable may be at risk.

Me thinks you should asked Alan Bond
Western Australian banking is years behind Britain's and I constantly see comparisons with the U.K. banking of the late 80s early 90s. The banks in W.A. seem to not want to miss out on the current property boom and are throwing money into the property market. My guess is they will be waiting for the first sign of a downturn before tightening their lending criteria.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 9:33 am
Pet
Forum Regular

Pet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nice

Originally Posted by christinabell
I worked in the Bank for 15 years ( unfortunately ) and I can assure you they care. Sure they will earn big bucks on interest, but, they also lose a lot on legal fees and properties being resold at reduced rates. Mortgagee sales are quite often real bargains as the bank just want what is owed to them back and arent going to hang around waiting for a better price to make even more money.

Also, could you imagine the legal implications if a bank lent money to someone that clearly did not have the income to make the repayments ? Sure theres a lot of people that due to change of circumstances etc cannot afford their payments, but lets face it, if someones application has an income of $420 per week listed and the repayment is $450 the bank wouldnt have a leg to stand on.

Im not sticking up for the banks. Quite frankly I think they are money hungry thieving mongrels, but they arent stupid.
Agree with you CB, also another question in my mind is the OP seems to be implying that she is a single mother of 2 - how hard would it be to get a visa as a hairdresser with two dependants? As stated on this post, not the highest paying trade, unless of course you have the equity to buy your own salon.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 9:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pet
Agree with you CB, also another question in my mind is the OP seems to be implying that she is a single mother of 2 - how hard would it be to get a visa as a hairdresser with two dependants? As stated on this post, not the highest paying trade, unless of course you have the equity to buy your own salon.

From previous posts, she has a parent out here, so is obviously sponsered
Old Sep 24th 2006, 9:49 am
Pet
Forum Regular

Pet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nicePet is just really nice

Originally Posted by canifixit
Me thinks you should asked Alan Bond
Business banking is completely different to home loans, you cant compare the two. Plus Alan Bond had a lot of 'ordinary' aussies invest money in his companies not just the banks. (Who would think a brewery could go bust :scared: ) Lots of people lost their retirement pensions. Seems apart from his term in prison he didn't fare too badly.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 9:58 am
Account Closed

phoenixinoz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by thebears
You are confusing stupid with cold business strategy
Absolutely!

Banks will always lend money for however long it takes as long as there's something in it for them. They ALWAYS mitigate their risk.

And why not, they're a business

It's up to the adults to take responsibility and make the most sensible decision.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:01 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by phoenixinoz
Absolutely!

Banks will always lend money for however long it takes as long as there's something in it for them. They ALWAYS mitigate their risk.

And why not, they're a business

It's up to the adults to take responsibility and make the most sensible decision.
You see it the UK too though...many people in over their heads. They are sold an idea that they can have all they want and still be able to pay for it. There is even an advert on UK TV selling people the idea of how easy it is to go bankcrupt and start over in a short period of time...this mirrors an irresponsibility of managing one's own financial wellbring.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:06 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pet
Business banking is completely different to home loans, you cant compare the two. Plus Alan Bond had a lot of 'ordinary' aussies invest money in his companies not just the banks. (Who would think a brewery could go bust :scared: ) Lots of people lost their retirement pensions. Seems apart from his term in prison he didn't fare too badly.
Rubbish and yes you can

mortgage debt - then the add ons personal loan here, insurance cross selling here, then why not a credit card with a limit to match your annual gross income.

Get with it guys - banks lending credit cards with limits of £12K to those on £15K and charging them £30 a month for meaningless insurance policies.

As my American colleagues say "Loose as a Goose"
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:09 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by busterboy
You see it the UK too though...many people in over their heads. They are sold an idea that they can have all they want and still be able to pay for it. There is even an advert on UK TV selling people the idea of how easy it is to go bankcrupt and start over in a short period of time...this mirrors an irresponsibility of managing one's own financial wellbring.
Yep, agree. That's why I mentioned adult must take responsibility cos at the end of the day, if the bank decides you have enough equity or you have the money to pay, they will provide a loan.

The banks make cold hard decisions to lend. They will lend as much as they can as it pays to keep punters in debt.

Sometimes it's greed that feeds the bank. People getting in over their heads.

Most times it's unfortunate circumstances and bad lending decisions.

Either way the banks usually walk away no poorer. Rarely can be said for the customer
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:19 am
Account Closed

Rubbish and yes you can

mortgage debt - then the add ons personal loan here, insurance cross selling here, then why not a credit card with a limit to match your annual gross income.

Get with it guys - banks lending credit cards with limits of £12K to those on £15K and charging them £30 a month for meaningless insurance policies.

As my American colleagues say "Loose as a Goose"
Spot on here too.

That's EXACTLY it. The banks here pay commission to get you to sign in to as many *fringe* deals as is possible.

Does anyone really think the bank is interested in you or your personal life when it asks if you have kids or a mortgage? No. The bank is asking to see if it can sell you life insurance, or open an account for your kids or to see if you will swap mortgages or even take a mortgage on. They are sharks. Use them to your advantage cos they sure as hell will do it to theirs.

Like you said, banks are a business, not your mates
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:21 am
Forum Regular

canifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond reputecanifixit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pet

The same banks that will lend you money to buy commercial properties lend money to buy your principal residence, they may have sister companies or just different departments. The concept is the same, they rightly want to make money from us.
My concern is more the principal of lending more than people can afford.
Some of people will borrow more than they can afford, in a rising market, in the hope that if things get too much they can sell up and cash in.
Being allowed to "self certify" or use larger income multiple does no one any favours.
Stricter lending criteria may be tough love for the lender but it would result in more realistic house prices.
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
That's a sexist attitude that is unlikely to endear you to many people. You are clearly suggesting that a male cannot do the same role. It is discriminatory and inappropriate in this day and age.
lol. Most blokes I know would beg to differ. Not all. But most.

I'm happy to look after my own kids and others, and have done so, but most young blokes would not move in to look after a kid given other options - like a house full of women(!)
Old Sep 24th 2006, 10:31 am
Melbourne Australia

thebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond reputethebears has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
lol. Most blokes I know would beg to differ. Not all. But most.

I'm happy to look after my own kids and others, and have done so, but most young blokes would not move in to look after a kid given other options - like a house full of women(!)
Did it for 6 months and bloody hell its really tough work (and that was just one) god knows how those mums cope with 3 or 4 kids.

Much better job satisfaction though when they fall asleep
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 6:08 pm
Just Joined

cocogreen is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anybody know what the current wages are in victoria area are for child care co ordinator or child care worker? Thanks
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

dottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud ofdottyspots has much to be proud of

Did it for 6 months and bloody hell its really tough work (and that was just one) god knows how those mums cope with 3 or 4 kids.

Much better job satisfaction though when they fall asleep
I've got 4 children of my own and am a registered childminder - I enjoy the job, although I've been having a breather of late and concentrating on my other business (I like to be busy and I'm not brilliant at working for other people, too bloody minded dh says).

I sit on the local childminding association's committee, get to attend lots of free training and the local Early Years service are currently paying for me to do a degree (starting with the Cert. Early Years Ed.), so despite the low pay, it has it's additional benefits (aside from my enjoyment of children).

I used to work outside the home and it just wasn't for me, so whilst we've taken a drop in income, it's been a good choice for us.

I don't know what the situation is across Australia (aside from probably low wages), but I would be happy to re-register as a family daycarer in Australia and hope that it might supplement our income a bit. I wouldn't want to work in a nursery, because I prefer to be home-based (and again, I like to work for me )

I think it's horses for courses really.

I'm mostly concerned for my husband's prospects (plasterer).
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

Cam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud ofCam1977 has much to be proud of

This website shows wage comparisons for various jobs: http://www.worldsalaries.org/?gclid=...FSCmEAodWgH1Uw

It shows monthly take-home incomes in both absolute US$ amounts and PPP (purchasing power parity) based on cost of living in the different countries. A few examples:

Bus driver - Aus: $2,233 - UK: $1,543
Car mechanic - Aus: $1,942 - UK: $1,747
Carpenter - Aus: $2,407 - UK: $1,743
Computer programmer - Aus: $3,066 - UK: $2,802
G.P. - Aus: $3,903 - UK: $4,874
Office clerk - Aus: $1,901 - UK: $1,487
Postman - Aus: $1,999 - UK: $1,701
Professional nurse - Aus: $2,534 - UK: $2,243
Salesperson - Aus: $1,694 - UK: $1,144
Teacher - Aus: $2,618 - UK: $2,876

Those numbers are based on PPP.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.