Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Poor Wages In Oz

The Poor Wages In Oz

Old Sep 21st 2006, 5:18 am
sugar and candy

Default The Poor Wages In Oz

So what do you lot earn? I have to ask as i cannot understand why the wages are so low. Yes we knew this before we came here, but we never imagined them to be so low!

I am on $420 a week. before tax. After working 3 months here in Oz full-time i am now getting into debt. I have tried looking for a new job but seems they all want slave labour. Am i the only one on a bad wage. My morgage has gone up but not my wage.

Do i stick it out til i am in dire-straits, get a repossession, swallow my pride and head back to the UK doing the same job and earn treble.

Old Sep 21st 2006, 5:21 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Poor Wages In Oz

I'm not telling you it's too embarrasing - peanuts would be a good way to describe it, but it is at a Uni and relatively stress free. I don't know how most people manage. Well, I do. If you are in mining, engineering or trades you'll be raking it in. If you're unemployed you pretty much don't have to pay for anything. It's the people who work in all the other jobs that struggle.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 5:25 am
BE Forum Addict

marco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond reputemarco121068 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously not seen this one pinned to the top.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=385198&pp=15
Old Sep 21st 2006, 5:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Blue collar and shopworkers earn more here than in the UK... in general that is.

Posties definitely get more here. Full timers earning circa 50,000 on average, with about 18,000 quid being the norm in the UK.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Path Transit (part of Transperth) are always looking for Bus drivers, you'll need to get a Heavy Rigid licence and then a hire and reward endorsement. Pay is between $800 $1200 depending on shifts and overtime. Maybe it not your cup of tea, but it's an OK job.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 7:42 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Full time tram drivers, here in Melbourne, also get circa 50-60,000.. Yes lots of shifts, Including split ones. However it is circa the average wage, and far more people earn less than the average wage than on or above it. Plus all you need is a car licence, and jobs come up fairly frequently.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 7:48 am
Forum Regular

markcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the roughmarkcrook is a jewel in the rough

My wife and I both nurses (both quite senior now) and were all ready to take a pay cut when we get out there (in January) but I have been lucky enough to land a job where I am getting paid the equivalent as I am earning here .

But my wife if she continues practice nursing then wont be earning as much as she is here .
Old Sep 21st 2006, 8:07 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by marco121068
Obviously not seen this one pinned to the top.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...t=385198&pp=15
Yes, that's a very helpful comment for the OP.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

DianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud ofDianneH68 has much to be proud of

I think it really depends on the industry you are in.
My line of work (journalist/sub-editor) is pretty poorly paid in the UK - you're lucky to find jobs over £25,000, and that's in London - and I've been doing this for over 10 years.
The job I'm starting in Melbourne is $55,000 (plus Super) so, although a bit lower than I'm on now, not that far off the mark (plus that's only a starting wage - I'd expect it to gradually increase).
From reading posts on here it seems some industries definitely pay more than the UK, while others pay less. Luck of the draw I guess
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:17 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sugar and candy
So what do you lot earn? I have to ask as i cannot understand why the wages are so low. Yes we knew this before we came here, but we never imagined them to be so low!

I am on $420 a week. before tax. After working 3 months here in Oz full-time i am now getting into debt. I have tried looking for a new job but seems they all want slave labour. Am i the only one on a bad wage. My morgage has gone up but not my wage.

Do i stick it out til i am in dire-straits, get a repossession, swallow my pride and head back to the UK doing the same job and earn treble.
What work do you do?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:23 am
Freedom!

Jockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond reputeJockstar has a reputation beyond repute

Whats your job?
Old Sep 21st 2006, 9:35 am
Never been to Australia

kevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond reputekevinl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I'm not telling you it's too embarrasing - peanuts would be a good way to describe it, but it is at a Uni and relatively stress free. I don't know how most people manage. Well, I do. If you are in mining, engineering or trades you'll be raking it in. If you're unemployed you pretty much don't have to pay for anything. It's the people who work in all the other jobs that struggle.
I'm a tradesmen in Engineering and the money is "average" circa $50k.
It doesn't go far, was much better off financially in the Uk.

Kevin
Old Sep 21st 2006, 10:54 am
sugar and candy

Originally Posted by Amazulu
What work do you do?
I'm a Hairdresser at the moment, but was qualified nursery nurse in UK. I came on Skilled visa for Hairdressing but getting a job was a pain, then realised they wouldn't pay much until i trained to there standards. I came here already qualified, so why do i need to start training again. From what i have seen in the 2 salons i have worked at they all need to go back to training. It's a very stressful situation going back to basics and i feel i have come on false pretences. By the way i am in Perth so does that make a difference as i realise now they seem to be 20 years behind in everything.

Old Sep 21st 2006, 11:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a Hairdresser at the moment, but was qualified nursery nurse in UK. I came on Skilled visa for Hairdressing but getting a job was a pain, then realised they wouldn't pay much until i trained to there standards. I came here already qualified, so why do i need to start training again. From what i have seen in the 2 salons i have worked at they all need to go back to training. It's a very stressful situation going back to basics and i feel i have come on false pretences. By the way i am in Perth so does that make a difference as i realise now they seem to be 20 years behind in everything.

I was lloking at doing a hairdressing course, until I saw how much they earn :scared: I think the most they get here in South Australia is $30k a year. No wonder there is a shortage.

I'd do the Child Care bit if I were you. You'll still need Aus skills, but I bet the pay is better.
Old Sep 21st 2006, 12:07 pm

@boy is an unknown quantity at this point

I am on $420 a week. before tax. After working 3 months here in Oz full-time i am now getting into debt. I have tried looking for a new job but seems they all want slave labour. Am i the only one on a bad wage.
Know your rights....

The current minimum wage for full-time adult workers on federal awards and in Victoria, NT and ACT is $484.40 a week or $12.75 per hour.

However, unions have recently (June and July 2006) succeeded in winning a lift in the minimum wage for adults that remain on State awards to $504.40 a week in NSW, TAS and WA and in SA to $501.40 and in QLD to $499.80...

Full detail here...
http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/lr/Labour...e%20Rates.html

...and the specific WA award for Hairdressers....
http://www.docep.wa.gov.au/lr/Labour...ers_Award1.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.