Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

The Poor Wages In Oz

The Poor Wages In Oz

Old Apr 22nd 2007, 9:25 pm
Forum Regular

Fenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura aboutFenton has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Poor Wages In Oz

Personally speaking I think the wages in Oz are fine coming from Northern Ireland where the average wage is about 15-17,000 a year, with the average rental price for a 3 bedroom house being £550 a month I dont really see a problem with them. ..Also to take into account higher car insurance higher food prices..Oz is a postive and welcome improvement
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:03 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
I'm not telling you it's too embarrasing - peanuts would be a good way to describe it, but it is at a Uni and relatively stress free. I don't know how most people manage. Well, I do. If you are in mining, engineering or trades you'll be raking it in. If you're unemployed you pretty much don't have to pay for anything. It's the people who work in all the other jobs that struggle.
I reckon the way most Aussies manage is by 2 incomes and the main breadwinner, your average tradie has a ABN and can afford the ute, the mortgage and all the trappings by being tax efficient with his own business.

Brit migrants in some jobs just do not command high salaries when they start out. Salaries are not spectacular, I agree, but not all wages in Australia are low.

Not all Brits are raking it in either.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kevinl
I'm a tradesmen in Engineering and the money is "average" circa $50k.
It doesn't go far, was much better off financially in the Uk.

Kevin
See that's the thing, if you were on excellent money in the UK then yes, the money here is poor, but in our case OH was paid crap in the UK, well under what he should have been on, so when we arrived and he was paid $25 an hour to start with that was a payrise!!
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 1:35 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Not everyone in Perth is on crap wages. The resources sector (mining/O&G/energy) pays very well and not just people based on site in the pilbara. Staff in Perth are on top money too and, again, not just engineering people. Secretaries, document controllers, admin staff are on good candy.

Loads of people work in resources in Perth too.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:00 am

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Not everyone in Perth is on crap wages. The resources sector (mining/O&G/energy) pays very well and not just people based on site in the pilbara. Staff in Perth are on top money too and, again, not just engineering people. Secretaries, document controllers, admin staff are on good candy.

My OH pays his PA about $65k a year and says that is about average for that level.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Most people moving to Perth are taking advantage of the resources boom.

Anyone who can afford it and is not in resources probably bought before the boom.

Anyone moving there now and not in resources or not able to structure their remuneration so it is high should not be considering it (in opinion)!

My advice in general - doesn't just apply to Perth : some Brit migrants cannot command high remuneration when they first come over. It might take awhile so come with savings and savvy and look to go it alone....wages are low in some fields.

Most Brit migrants are very comfortable in UK having worked the system and are at the right level.
It does not necessarily follow you'll enter at the same level, OR, this is the thing, pay structure in Australia.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:08 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vanessa
My OH pays his PA about $65k a year and says that is about average for that level.
Is that a good salary for a PA? I have no idea.
My lowest payed guy is on just under $100k. He does all my drawing/document management and some CAD work
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:14 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by BadgeIsBack
Most people moving to Perth are taking advantage of the resources boom.

Anyone who can afford it and is not in resources probably bought before the boom.

Anyone moving there now and not in resources or not able to structure their remuneration so it is high should not be considering it (in opinion)!

My advice in general - doesn't just apply to Perth : some Brit migrants cannot command high remuneration when they first come over. It might take awhile so come with savings and savvy and look to go it alone....wages are low in some fields.

Most Brit migrants are very comfortable in UK having worked the system and are at the right level.
It does not necessarily follow you'll enter at the same level, OR, this is the thing, pay structure in Australia.
I suppose Perth is now like any other resources boom town of the past/present. You are either in the boom or not. I'm sure it's the same in places like Calgary/Houston/Aberdeen. In a way it's like London now. Lot's of wealth for some but others are being left behind and are living on the fringes of the boom.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:15 am
BE Forum Addict

rabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond reputerabsody has a reputation beyond repute

Is that a good salary for a PA? I have no idea.
My lowest payed guy is on just under $100k. He does all my drawing/document management and some CAD work
yes that's a good salary for a PA, here in brisbane top wages for a PA is $50k a year.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 3:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

In a way it's like London now. Lot's of wealth for some but others are being left behind and are living on the fringes of the boom.
Indeed. But the current boom (lifestyle/housing) seems to have lasted what 10 years.

One of the reasons we moved to Australia was to reposition our place in it forwards and to neutralise the relative lateness with which we got into it. To get 'onside' of it.
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 7:45 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Yeah, best move I ever made too. $35k, 12 hour days, take work home at the weekend. No promotion prospects, currently trying to negotaite contract extension for the 5th time this year having failed yet again to get a perm post because of another redeployee.

I don't begrudge anyone the good lifestyle a lot of you have managed to get, but boy, am I envious
Redeployees! The walking dead who get preference over anyone with a pulse!!!

I guess you are trying to get into the public service?
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:06 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
Redeployees! The walking dead who get preference over anyone with a pulse!!!

I guess you are trying to get into the public service?
I'm in the public service, been in it 15 years in the UK and 3 years here. Just can't get a permanent position - the excuses have been that I'm not young enough/Australian/on a perm visa (fixed that one now/pregnant/got enough public service experience/been redeployed. I'm up for another two in the next fortnight...can only dream of what the excuses will be this time
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 10:17 am
Back in the UK

alicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond reputealicecat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I'm in the public service, been in it 15 years in the UK and 3 years here. Just can't get a permanent position - the excuses have been that I'm not young enough/Australian/on a perm visa (fixed that one now/pregnant/got enough public service experience/been redeployed. I'm up for another two in the next fortnight...can only dream of what the excuses will be this time http://img116.exs.cx/img116/1231/z7shysterical.gif
Unbelievable that they say you don't have enough public service experience!! Have you got your Certificate 12 in Stapling and Filing? No chance for anything at all without that!!!

I am trying to get in as well. I am permanent now but doing the lowest of the low positions and getting treated like it. My boss advised I apply for that position while I was temping because it was the only way they could employ me without being forced to use a redeployee. He said once I was in I could apply for anything but not before as I had buckleys of getting anything.

However if I hear another story about how someone walked in to use the toilet 15 years ago and were put on permanent straight away into a great job and now they are on 80K a year or whatever rubbish it is I will scream.

Last edited by alicecat; Apr 23rd 2007 at 10:18 am. Reason: forgot something
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:07 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alicecat
Unbelievable that they say you don't have enough public service experience!! Have you got your Certificate 12 in Stapling and Filing? No chance for anything at all without that!!!

I am trying to get in as well. I am permanent now but doing the lowest of the low positions and getting treated like it. My boss advised I apply for that position while I was temping because it was the only way they could employ me without being forced to use a redeployee. He said once I was in I could apply for anything but not before as I had buckleys of getting anything.

However if I hear another story about how someone walked in to use the toilet 15 years ago and were put on permanent straight away into a great job and now they are on 80K a year or whatever rubbish it is I will scream.
We have a whole bunch of those. One who wears nice short skirts with her long legs beat me to a job last year that I had been doing for over 12 months. She is now acting two levels up, having not applied for any of the 5 higher duties posts she has done so far. The guy who gave her 'my' job just slides her into them and she just hitches her skirt a bit higher. We have one AO2 who is a receptionist but can't speak English, and another two who have just worked out (after a year) that its OK to delete emails - they had EVERYTHING - including "Security has a parcel for you" and "ignore the firebell its a drill" from 12 months ago.:curse: I believe one of them is studying for her Stapling certificate as she was measuring the staples last week to find out if they would fit in the stapler............the other is doing an Advanced Diploma in Faxing but hasn't yet realised that the faxes don't go anywhere if you send them to your own phone number. - she asked today why she kept picking up the phone only to find a machine screeching at her on the end of it........
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 11:39 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Here's the pay scales for non-academic staff at UWA.

Highest level 10 would be a school manager of a large school of Faculty manager. Smaller school's managers would be level 7 - 9.

http://www.hr.uwa.edu.au/page/67595

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.