Plugs & Sockets

Old Nov 21st 2014, 6:39 pm
Just Joined

kjchapman1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Plugs & Sockets

I know there is probably an answer to this in the forum somewhere, but I cannot find one yet.

Obviously the electrical plugs in OZ are different to the UK.
My plan was to take the TV, Sonos, computers Coffee machine (a MUST) ect with me, chop the uk plugs off and hard wire OZ plugs if I cant find a replacement lead (I dont like the idea of using travel for a prolonged period of time)

I have been told that I would have to be a registered electrician to by a plug - can someone confirm if that is the case?

I can buy OZ plugs via e-bay in the UK (made in china, but then so is everything)

thanks for your help
Old Nov 21st 2014, 6:49 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Plugs & Sockets

Originally Posted by kjchapman1
I know there is probably an answer to this in the forum somewhere, but I cannot find one yet.

My plan was to take the TV, Sonos, computers Coffee machine (a MUST) ect with me, chop the uk plugs off and hard wire OZ plugs if I cant find a replacement lead (I dont like the idea of using travel for a prolonged period of time)

I have been told that I would have to be a registered electrician to by a plug - can someone confirm if that is the case?

I can buy OZ plugs via e-bay in the UK (made in china, but then so is everything)

thanks for your help
You will be able to buy plugs in Bunnings or similar. It's usually worth having a few UK power boards (4 gang extension leads or more) and switch the plug on these for some locations - eg TV, DVD, games consoles, etc. A lack of power points seems quite common.
Old Nov 21st 2014, 10:54 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

thanks for your help
Changing of plugs by electricians is a topic that usually gets a good discussion going. In Queensland it is technically illegal to change your own plugs and IF there was a fire the insurance company may get picky about it.

Quite common for Aussie houses to have a minimum of powerpoints. I have a two bedroom unit, which has a total of SIX, three of those in the kitchen. I have friends whose houses are like mine, full of spaghetti from leads and multi-plug powerboards both UK and Aus. Bring plenty!
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 1:17 am
Forum Regular

Rhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond reputeRhubarb65 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
You will be able to buy plugs in Bunnings or similar. It's usually worth having a few UK power boards (4 gang extension leads or more) and switch the plug on these for some locations - eg TV, DVD, games consoles, etc. A lack of power points seems quite common.
Agree with this sentiment from Sparkles. We brought over several UK surge-protected boards that we already had and changed the individual plugs on those to Aussie ones; thus we were able to continue to use UK plugged appliances. It also took the stress and hassle out of having to convert everything when you first arrive. I wouldn't recommend using travel adaptors for any length of time - they are certainly not intended for such use. Also, I'd suggest you wait until you get here before buying the plugs from a reputable vendor such as Bunnings / Masters / Mitre10, etc. - at least you will know the plug conforms to the AU/NZ standard.

I have gradually converted many of these plugs now to AU plugs, but I have left those on appliances that I wanted surge-protection for (Fridge / Freezer / TV / Computer / DVD recorder, etc.) You will probably also have some chargers / adaptors that have built-in UK plugs that you won't be able to change without buying the Australian equivalent.

As to legality, I don't believe it is illegal here in Victoria to fit plugs to domestic appliances, although I understand it varies from state to state as mentioned above

On a separate tangent, if you have unlocked UK mobile phones, they should work here in Australia. Take the opportunity to get them unlocked before you leave the UK and you should be able to get up and running with a local SIM as soon as you arrive

Last edited by Rhubarb65; Nov 22nd 2014 at 1:23 am. Reason: clarification
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 2:59 am

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
Agree with this sentiment from Sparkles. We brought over several UK surge-protected boards that we already had and changed the individual plugs on those to Aussie ones; thus we were able to continue to use UK plugged appliances. It also took the stress and hassle out of having to convert everything when you first arrive. I wouldn't recommend using travel adaptors for any length of time - they are certainly not intended for such use. Also, I'd suggest you wait until you get here before buying the plugs from a reputable vendor such as Bunnings / Masters / Mitre10, etc. - at least you will know the plug conforms to the AU/NZ standard.

I have gradually converted many of these plugs now to AU plugs, but I have left those on appliances that I wanted surge-protection for (Fridge / Freezer / TV / Computer / DVD recorder, etc.) You will probably also have some chargers / adaptors that have built-in UK plugs that you won't be able to change without buying the Australian equivalent.

As to legality, I don't believe it is illegal here in Victoria to fit plugs to domestic appliances, although I understand it varies from state to state as mentioned above

On a separate tangent, if you have unlocked UK mobile phones, they should work here in Australia. Take the opportunity to get them unlocked before you leave the UK and you should be able to get up and running with a local SIM as soon as you arrive
And adding to that, if your phone is locked you can get the unlock code for free from the phone company rather than pay for it to be unlocked
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 3:03 am

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Changing of plugs by electricians is a topic that usually gets a good discussion going. In Queensland it is technically illegal to change your own plugs and IF there was a fire the insurance company may get picky about it.

Quite common for Aussie houses to have a minimum of powerpoints. I have a two bedroom unit, which has a total of SIX, three of those in the kitchen. I have friends whose houses are like mine, full of spaghetti from leads and multi-plug powerboards both UK and Aus. Bring plenty!
We've got a three bed rental and a total of 9 outlets - 1 in each bedroom, lounge hall and bathroom and 3 in the kitchen. And of course, the hallway one is the opposite side to the phone point so no way to avoid cables crossing the hall for the router

We still have the majority of our stuff with UK plugs (and I have some UK sockets that came over in the container by accident )
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Red_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond reputeRed_V_Roger has a reputation beyond repute

The new 3 bed house we just built has 27 double power outlets and 5 CAT6 network points. Maybe I went a bit OTT!
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 4:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Re: Plugs & Sockets

We haven't changed any plugs. We brought UK power boards for the TV /DVD, home cinema and the home computer /printer etc, which just need an adaptor each. We bought new kettle and toaster, you probably don't want to wait until your container arrives for a cup of tea. And other stuff we just used with an adaptor until they needed replacing anyway.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 5:05 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Here we go round the roundabout
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 5:25 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
Here we go round the roundabout
Well it might seem old to you after eleven years of BE. But some people are still moving for the first time.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 7:31 am
Fighting my corner

Vash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond reputeVash the Stampede has a reputation beyond repute

General rule of thumb: always ensure you have more sockets than plugs.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 11:14 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Not something I've thought much about, but it's true! Houses I've lived in previously were similarly deficient in the power point department. When I moved into Scouse's house, I wondered why it had 22 double power points, with another 2 in the garage and 1 in the patio! Clued up Poms building in Oz

I do remember one house I had built, yonks ago. A baldy few powerpoints, any additional were 'extras' with a mad price attached.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 6:02 pm
Just Joined

kjchapman1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi All
Thanks for the replies - I guess this topic comes up very often.
Does anyone know if a standard UK wall socket is interchangeable (ie are the fixing screws the same distance apart)?
that (in my opinion) would be the safest and easiest option until enough appliances die.
Looks like on the advice to bring lots of extension leads anyway - my kitchen has 8 double sockets,and sometimes that isnt enough!

As another sideline - is fibre broadband available? we have got used to the speed - downloaded a 4gb film in 20mins yesterday!

KJC
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 9:54 pm
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All
Thanks for the replies - I guess this topic comes up very often.
Does anyone know if a standard UK wall socket is interchangeable (ie are the fixing screws the same distance apart)?
that (in my opinion) would be the safest and easiest option until enough appliances die.
Looks like on the advice to bring lots of extension leads anyway - my kitchen has 8 double sockets,and sometimes that isnt enough!

As another sideline - is fibre broadband available? we have got used to the speed - downloaded a 4gb film in 20mins yesterday!

KJC
Don't even think of it.

Changing sockets would definitely come under the closed shop of "needs an electrician" here - and none of them would do it.

Get 4 way extensions and swap over the plug on those for the (inferior) Oz version.

Oh and be aware that OZ wiring is also worse and the maximum you can draw from a socket is 10Amps (not 13) so don't bring anything with a high UK power draw.

As far as fibre broadband - its a painful topic. Australia was to have a proper fibre network (fibre to the home) and part of it has been rolled out. However the right wing nutters got in and screwed it up (under Murdoch orders it seems). So now not only has the rollout stopped, but their aim is "fibre to the node" which equates to the UK kind of fibre broadband - but which will be horrible with the naff Telstra copper. The hope is the far right loons will get kicked out in a few years and the thing righted, but damage will have been done.

However, in the meantime be careful about where you pitch up - some locations you can't even get ADSL because Telstra is even less competent than BT and don't have enough ports. Add it to you list of things to check before you rent/buy.
Old Nov 22nd 2014, 11:12 pm
Banned

paulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond reputepaulry has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rhubarb65
Agree with this sentiment from Sparkles. We brought over several UK surge-protected boards that we already had and changed the individual plugs on those to Aussie ones
That's the cleverest plan, IMO. Not only do you save yourself the hassle of having to change all the plugs but you also get surge protection built in - important for the unpredictable weather we often experience here

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.