Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

A place downunder - where are they all now?

A place downunder - where are they all now?

Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A place downunder - where are they all now?

Originally Posted by Daviesfamily
This is Tony of the Davies Family (Welsh - Melbourne). Yes, we are still living here it has been 5 years this month. We loved filming, the crew were great we even stay with them on our holidays back home. Melbourne is fantastic, we are very happy we made the move - Natalie our daughter is now a mum of two a little girl and boy. Jason is paratrooper with the australian army and has just finished a tour of east Timor. Michelle is working as an accountant and I am still a postie, we moved 2 year ago into the house we built.

we have made a few friends who watched the show in the uk then moved to Oz.

Regards

The Davies
Hi Tony,

Haven't watched your show but we are Welsh also looking to move to Melbourne - it is nice reading a positive post and glad everything is working out well for you.

Laura
Old Oct 7th 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Hi Tony

Im so chuffed you and yours have settled so happily over in Oz, I loved your story and am a bit miffed taht the kiss thing was all pre-planned, I was really suckered into thinking you'd used your Welsh charm to worm your way in. Blooming producers.

Anyway do you still live in the Welsh quarter of Melbourne? or did you build your house further away? Do you still have loads of Welsh friends over there because it looked like there was a whole estate of Taffs! must of been really reasuring when you got there to have so many kin folk all around.

Lovely to hear your doing so well, mate.

Love to all your family

Ju and Mike
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:32 am
Forum Regular

Daviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really nice

Originally Posted by Reedy
Hi Tony,

Haven't watched your show but we are Welsh also looking to move to Melbourne - it is nice reading a positive post and glad everything is working out well for you.

Laura
You will love Melbourne, give us a call when you get here. Michelle and myself will be back in Swansea for a holiday July 2008.
Tony
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

Daviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really niceDaviesfamily is just really nice

Originally Posted by mike-Ju
Hi Tony

Im so chuffed you and yours have settled so happily over in Oz, I loved your story and am a bit miffed taht the kiss thing was all pre-planned, I was really suckered into thinking you'd used your Welsh charm to worm your way in. Blooming producers.

Anyway do you still live in the Welsh quarter of Melbourne? or did you build your house further away? Do you still have loads of Welsh friends over there because it looked like there was a whole estate of Taffs! must of been really reasuring when you got there to have so many kin folk all around.

Lovely to hear your doing so well, mate.

Love to all your family
Ju and Mike
Hi,
If you remember from the show we were looking to build a house, well we have and its not near the old place on the lake. The welsh crowd in the show were not really our friends we really only knew Tony & June and they are friends of my parents. The film crew said for us to hold a bbq and invite people round but we didnt know anyone so Tony & June asked the Welsh crowd to make up some numbers. After the filming we never really saw them again untill christmas. They never helped us or supported us like it made out in the show we were on our own most of the time. Since then we have made some friends (expats) that saw the show and were inspired to emigrate after watching us. Lots of people have come up to us when we are out and ask us about the show and we always enjoy talking about it.
Tony
Old Oct 8th 2007, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BallochBiddy
Hi Tony, welcome to BE
Glad to hear everything is going well and still a postie as that is what you wanted to do.
Thank for taking the time to update everyone as before we found BE the only referance we had were these programs.
One thing that I'd love to know about your show, were you really that lucky to just turn up and meet Kiss or did the crew arrange it?
Stupid question I know but it bugged me at the time

Cheers Biddy
I just remembered something about the KISS thing, the guy who set up the meeting with Kiss and was the camera man at the meeting also had a bit part in the Kevin & Perry movie a few years back. If you remember they were in Ibiza and one night they were in a club and someone was sick over them from a balcony, the guy that was sick is our camera guy who set up the meeting with Kiss. A little bit of trivia for you.
Tony
Old Oct 8th 2007, 3:26 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

i remember seeing you on the programme im really happy your moved worked out well for you all, congratulations on the grandkids too!!!
Old Oct 8th 2007, 4:07 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kez81
i remember seeing you on the programme im really happy your moved worked out well for you all, congratulations on the grandkids too!!!
Thanks for the kind words. Did you or anybody else see Michelle and myself on channel 4 RISE breakfast show, we were on it I think it was wednesday of their final week. They asked us to do on it while we were home on holidays.
Tony
Old Oct 8th 2007, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

mike-Ju will become famous soon enoughmike-Ju will become famous soon enough

Hi,
If you remember from the show we were looking to build a house, well we have and its not near the old place on the lake. The welsh crowd in the show were not really our friends we really only knew Tony & June and they are friends of my parents. The film crew said for us to hold a bbq and invite people round but we didnt know anyone so Tony & June asked the Welsh crowd to make up some numbers. After the filming we never really saw them again untill christmas. They never helped us or supported us like it made out in the show we were on our own most of the time. Since then we have made some friends (expats) that saw the show and were inspired to emigrate after watching us. Lots of people have come up to us when we are out and ask us about the show and we always enjoy talking about it.
Tony

OMG Im totally disapointed, what a con, these programme makers are really manipulating arn't they. After reading about what really went on with the Russells as well.

Im glad you made some real friends out there.
is there anything you would change about the whole experiance of moving to Australia?
Old Oct 8th 2007, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Reedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond reputeReedy has a reputation beyond repute

You will love Melbourne, give us a call when you get here. Michelle and myself will be back in Swansea for a holiday July 2008.
Tony
We live in Caerphilly at the moment.

Not sure where we will settle when we get to Melbourne. Think we will stay in holiday rental for a few weeks until we find the area we want to go.

We are hoping to be over for the New Year....

This July was a bit of a wash out back home - make sure you pack your waterproofs and wellies.....

Will be in touch as soon as we get the visa as it would be great to meet up.

Speak to you soon,

Lau
Old Oct 8th 2007, 6:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

geelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud ofgeelong has much to be proud of

Since then we have made some friends (expats) that saw the show and were inspired to emigrate after watching us.
Tony
Hi Tony,
Seeing your family on the show was a big inspiration for my wife and I to make the move. We still enjoy watching the re-runs. We are hoping to be out in the New Year once we get our visa.

Regards,

Tim
Old Oct 8th 2007, 7:22 pm
visa holder

mark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond reputemark 'n' joe has a reputation beyond repute

Glad everything worked out for you. Shame the show is so manipulated, still watch it though. We are going to Melbourne this weekend for our recce/validation trip.

All the best

Joex
Old Oct 8th 2007, 8:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond reputeScrawni 2 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Tony,

Great to hear from you. You came across as really down to earth and so did the family.

How long did it take for you to settle? I am so glad everything seems to have turned out good. Is there anything that you would have done differently?

Mandy
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mike-Ju
OMG Im totally disapointed, what a con, these programme makers are really manipulating arn't they. After reading about what really went on with the Russells as well.

Im glad you made some real friends out there.
is there anything you would change about the whole experiance of moving to Australia?
I dont think so, as I said in the show there is nothing bad except that its so far away from UK. When a member of your family in the UK is ill you really realise how far away you really are. Moving to Australia is recommended.
Tony
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by geelong
Hi Tony,
Seeing your family on the show was a big inspiration for my wife and I to make the move. We still enjoy watching the re-runs. We are hoping to be out in the New Year once we get our visa.

Regards,

Tim
Hi Tim
Thanks for the kind words. We tried to just be ourselves in the show and enjoy ourselves. We didnt moan and complain like some of the others mainly because we didnt have anything to moan about. We love it here and try to enjoy everything we do. We are happy to meet and talk to anyone, as we have been doing since the show first aired. We still get stopped while out shopping or going for walks etc. by people that recognise us, we always stop to talk as some people have a lot of questions they want to ask. So if anyone spots us come over and say hi.
Tony
Old Oct 9th 2007, 2:20 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Scrawni 2
Hello Tony,

Great to hear from you. You came across as really down to earth and so did the family.

How long did it take for you to settle? I am so glad everything seems to have turned out good. Is there anything that you would have done differently?

Mandy
Hi Mandy,
Thanks, we just tried to be ourselves and enjoy it.
I think we settled almost straight away which is not the norm. It takes some people a year or so. The only trouble we had was when we went back to Swansea after a year for a holiday which was to soon and a bit of homesickness kicked in after seeing family again.
I cant think of anything I would have done differently we have enjoyed everything so far.
Tony

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.