Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Old Nov 6th 2008, 1:46 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is Perth really that dangerous?

Professional Princess??! Ill have some of what you're having!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmtree
06:30 - 08:30 and 15:00 - 18:30 are the busiest times in my experience on the Joondalup ( Clarkson ) line. I have always felt safe on the trains, even at night and, as has been said, there nearly always seem to be transit guards on the trains at night.

Been here 8 months and haven't been burgled, robbed or mugged. Never felt safer.
Trains are fairly safe what with security on most after seven in the evening.
Although as so few travel at night if a drunk(s) or someone looking for bother or even just being a nuisance there is some chance of being targeted.
I personally took the Armadale line(not a good line,crimewise) to work at ten pm five nights a week for a period of close on four years.
In that time i can recall four potentially serious incidents,but saying that i tend to react to extreme provocation but besides that i have witnessed or involved in less serious incidents i would hazard a guess at between 15-20 times.
What is more dangerous is on leaving the train to exit the station.Alot of stations are deserted some are badly lit as is the walk to ones car or home.
In Perth almost every where at night there is just no one around.So one can easily be targeted usually for money cigs mobile etc...the usual.
Seems to be true that the Northern Line has less crime as commented but can not personally comment from experience.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:02 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pompeyblonde
Professional Princess??! Ill have some of what you're having!
Chicken pasta with tomato and garlic sauce

Better go, due to be murdered again.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:39 am
Forum Regular

The Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to allThe Brooks is a name known to all

We live in the northern suburbs of Perth and after a recent incident with my son, where he got his front tooth smashed with a bottle whilst playing football on the local park by some idiot that had been drinking, he no longer goes out after dark, only to friends houses, where i take him and pick him up, he is 15 and i feel they need a certain amount of freedom, but i feel it is safer back where we came from in the uk, perhaps its because we knew more people and had grown up in the area, like the previous poster said it doesnt make me want to move back to the uk, but it does sicken me that i only feel he is safe whilst out on his own in daylight, god help me when he turns 18 and is off on nights out with his mates, i will be nervous wreck...........

Sam
Old Nov 6th 2008, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

HJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant futureHJAMES has a brilliant future

There seems to be a lot of teenagers hang around parks, doing dring and drugs. Look at the teenager that got bashed whilst walking through a park in Woodvale and then died.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by HJAMES
There seems to be a lot of teenagers hang around parks, doing dring and drugs. Look at the teenager that got bashed whilst walking through a park in Woodvale and then died.
Nothing new in Perth,

Perth Teen bashed and killed: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/te...1106-5j0l.html
International Student Bashed in Perth: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.a...620000&rss=yes
Man bashed at Perth ATM: http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ontentID=99323
Perth woman with cerebral palsy bashed: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...24/2344943.htm
Perth man dies after being bashed: http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...36-948,00.html
84 year old bashed in Perth: http://202.6.74.88/news/stories/2008...htm?site=perth

Is there a need to go on? While everywhere in the world has crime, Perth is simply not a safe place and I don't know why some people think it is and is free from crime?

Mikey
Old Nov 6th 2008, 5:48 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by twhurl
I have been in Perth about six months I dont feel its safer than anywhere else but that is just my perception mainly from reading the papers and local goss. There seem to be lots of burglaries. I went to Sydney last week and felt alot safer. Again this was purely my perception. I was staying on the North Shore and took the train to The rocks walked around it was surprisingly quiet. Had dinner then walked around some more found myself in dark streets under the bridge then found my way onto the bridgae and walked back to Hotel at about 10:00PM. Never felt safer in my life. Took the train back from CBD at 11:00 another night and it was quiet and Pleasant. Walked around the neighborhood and there were women walking around alone. It seemed all pleasant. I feel more vulnerable to being mugged in Perth. My wife argues that its all perception cuz every little thing makes the papers here
Don't actually find that the papers over report crime here at all.Perhaps if anything it is the opposite and put a spin on how wonderful the life style is in Perth and omit any or many references to cases that do not quite support this urban myth.
I spent time in Sydney staying in New Town a few years ago and am with you fully there,in feeling a far better vibe.
Even after midnight passed single females in the street going about their business in a seemless carefree manner.How liberating.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:04 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
Nothing new in Perth,

Perth Teen bashed and killed: http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/te...1106-5j0l.html
International Student Bashed in Perth: http://news.ninemsn.com.au/article.a...620000&rss=yes
Perth woman with cerebral palsy bashed: http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...24/2344943.htm
Perth man dies after being bashed: http://www.news.com.au/perthnow/stor...36-948,00.html
84 year old bashed in Perth: http://202.6.74.88/news/stories/2008...htm?site=perth

Is there a need to go on? While everywhere in the world has crime, Perth is simply not a safe place and I don't know why some people think it is and is free from crime?

Mikey

The Perth man dying after bashing, was actually bashed in Goa so that doesnt count.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:08 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Nothing new in Perth,

Mikey
It isn't an unsafe place Mikey. You are right, it isn't free from crime for sure but I don't think it is any worse than some big towns and cities in the UK. After all it is a city of well over 1 million. To say it is an unsafe place to live is scaremongering a bit.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by northernbird
It isn't an unsafe place Mikey. You are right, it isn't free from crime for sure but I don't think it is any worse than some big towns and cities in the UK. After all it is a city of well over 1 million. To say it is an unsafe place to live is scaremongering a bit.
Oh it’s definitely not the worst place in the world and your right some places in the UK would be the same. I have never felt safe in Perth and would never walk in the city centre on my own at night – I have the exact same view of my hometown Dublin, I wouldn’t walk around the city at night and don’t feel safe there.

My point is for the people on here who act like Perth is perfect and free of crime and danger, or the people who move to Perth from overseas with the main reason of “they want a safer environment” or “they are over the high crime in the UK” the fact is Perth has its fair share of crime and can be a pretty dangerous place (just like anywhere). Personally I find Sydney a lot safer, simply because it’s more open and a bit more 24/7 so it’s always open with people walking around at all time, so you always feel safe, the city centre is a mix of shops, apartments and business, so it’s always busy. Perth CBD I find is mainly just offices with a few apartments, so after 5pm it shuts down and is dark.

Mikey
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:54 am
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

I remember taking my kids to a really small suburban playground in Carine opposite the schools and the lollipop lady actually came over to warn me that they shouldn't play in the sand as it was full of syringes. Nice.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:56 am
BE Enthusiast

philnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud ofphilnorris has much to be proud of

Like I have said before its perception, I live in Newcastle upon Tyne, there are people getting killed, mugged, bashed what ever you want to call it that NEVER makes it in to the news. Simply because it happens to often, yet I feel in Perth every incident like this is broadast in the news and therefore makes it seem more of an issue.

Of Course there is crime in Perth, there is crime in all the sleepy little towns around the world to, you will never escape it, sadly it has become part of life.

Part of the reason I no longer read the news papers or put news on the TV is because of the the sad news. Some one had theirt knee caps blown off outside my house once and there wasnt so much as a single line about it in the papers or on the TV.

I have never witnesed crime in Perth, I have seen A LOT of crime in the UK, I have seen 'teens' bashed including myself for no reason at all in the local parks. I suspect though that the longer I live in Perth the more crim I will have witnessed,but I could never say I would have prefered to witness it in the UK.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 6:57 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh it’s definitely not the worst place in the world and your right some places in the UK would be the same. I have never felt safe in Perth and would never walk in the city centre on my own at night – I have the exact same view of my hometown Dublin, I wouldn’t walk around the city at night and don’t feel safe there.

My point is for the people on here who act like Perth is perfect and free of crime and danger, or the people who move to Perth from overseas with the main reason of “they want a safer environment” or “they are over the high crime in the UK” the fact is Perth has its fair share of crime and can be a pretty dangerous place (just like anywhere). Personally I find Sydney a lot safer, simply because it’s more open and a bit more 24/7 so it’s always open with people walking around at all time, so you always feel safe, the city centre is a mix of shops, apartments and business, so it’s always busy. Perth CBD I find is mainly just offices with a few apartments, so after 5pm it shuts down and is dark.

Mikey
When was the last time you were in Perth CBD after office hours?
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by St.Georges Girl
When was the last time you were in Perth CBD after office hours?
September.

Mikey
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:55 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

September.

Mikey
Well I've never been one of the people who says that Perth (WA) is crime free, far from it in fact as we've been the victim of crime 9 times since living here. But, I have never walked around the city at night and not felt safe. I am 5' 3" and quite small framed so I suppose an attacker, mugger etc. might believe they had a soft target, but only once have I been approached and that was by an aboriginal family who were drunk as skunks and demanded cigarettes. When I told them I didn't smoke, they demanded money and my mobile phone. I just told them where to get off and ran towards the station where I told the transport police what had just happened. I have to admit that I wouldn't travel alone on the train after rush hour and I wouldn't want my son to either, but Perth is no worse than anywhere else imo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.