Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:06 am
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Is Perth really that dangerous?

Originally Posted by elmtree
06:30 - 08:30 and 15:00 - 18:30 are the busiest times in my experience on the Joondalup ( Clarkson ) line. I have always felt safe on the trains, even at night and, as has been said, there nearly always seem to be transit guards on the trains at night.

Been here 8 months and haven't been burgled, robbed or mugged. Never felt safer.
I'm so happy to hear that. My friend really scared me shitless. Is taking the train at 10pm at night pretty safe too? I'm worried about late nights in school. I could get my OH to wait for my at the train station, but don't want him to get mugged instead.

And not meaning to start a racist fight here, but are Asians more vulnerable to crime since they are shorter and smaller?
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
I'm so happy to hear that. My friend really scared me shitless. Is taking the train at 10pm at night pretty safe too? I'm worried about late nights in school. I could get my OH to wait for my at the train station, but don't want him to get mugged instead.

And not meaning to start a racist fight here, but are Asians more vulnerable to crime since they are shorter and smaller?

Never travelled after 10pm but I would imagine that there may be more boozed-up people later on ???

Doubt if Asians are more vulnerable - if someone is out to mug or beat-up someone they'll do it to whoever they find that appears vulnerable I guess.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 3:17 am
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by elmtree
Never travelled after 10pm but I would imagine that there may be more boozed-up people later on ???

Doubt if Asians are more vulnerable - if someone is out to mug or beat-up someone they'll do it to whoever they find that appears vulnerable I guess.
That's true. Definitely need to practise common sense here. Sometimes I let my fear get the better of me.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 9:42 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Yikes, Dorothy! What is your definition of murdered?
Sarcasm. It's called sarcasm.

Two really silly questions above. Yes, the train is safe at 10 pm. I've done it a number of times coming home alone from after-work dinners or drinks in the city. Why would your OH be mugged waiting for you at the train station? Has he ever been mugged while waiting at the train station where you live now?

Well, if Asians are more vulnerable because they're shorter and smaller than I guess it stands to reason that my 6' tall 230lb caucasian husband should never be the victim of a crime?

Who is this friend who's telling you all these things? Does she live in the Perth area? Has she been a victim of a violent crime? Has anyone she knows personally been a victim of a violent crime? Has she been robbed on the train or mugged while waiting at the station? Sounds to me like she doesn't want you to move over here for some reason. If you're coming on a student visa then obviously you are intelligent enough to do some research. Take a look at the crime statistics for the area and tell your "friend" to piss off with her phony scare tactics.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

I'm sorry you thought the "Is taking the train at 10pm at night pretty safe too?" question was silly. I obviously have not lived in Perth so I don't know that. I come from a country where it is safe to walk around alone at 4am.

As for the other question about Asians being more vulnerable, I admit my fear got the better of me and I wasn't thinking straight. But I have googled and some forum mentioned of people calling Asian girls yellow taxi or the like and how they are vulnerable to crime.

We don't have a train station where my OH lives, so he has never been mugged at a train station. He comes from a safe town of 80,000 where it is okay to leave your doors unlocked. I had a concern for him being mugged because Mikeyc's brother got mugged at Joondalup.

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Well, if Asians are more vulnerable because they're shorter and smaller than I guess it stands to reason that my 6' tall 230lb Caucasian husband should never be the victim of a crime?
Well yeah I bet people would think twice about mugging a 230lb Caucasian unless they are bigger than him or had a gun/knife. If they had to choose between a 110lb and 230lb person, the 110lb person would be more vulnerable.

Yes my friend lived in Perth for 3.5 years. But I now believe she was exaggerating about the crimes based on your answers to my questions.

It's fine if your questions were meant to be sarcastic, I really don't know. I just answered them all because I had valid reasons for my worries. And posting in this forum forms part of my research on life in Perth. Many of the questions asked in this whole forum can be answered through research on the Internet. Does that mean people should not discuss?

Well here is some info that I have found for the sake of others who are interested in the safety of Perth suburbs:
http://www.viacorp.com/perth-suburbs-by-assaults.html
http://www.viacorp.com/perth-suburbs-by-burglaries.html

Last edited by lovelyshine; Oct 19th 2008 at 2:34 pm. Reason: .
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:38 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Statistics says that approximately 1 out of 200,000 people who take the train are victims of crime.

You need to put those statistics into perspective. In the UK crime is measured in rate per thousand so 1 in 200,000 would be like 0.005 people per thousand. What is that statistic measuring? Crimes per year, per day, over what area? one line? the whole network? What type of crime? Robbery, assault, being spat at, or someone just giving you a funny look?

A crime rate of 1 per 200,000 on the London Underground would see me trading my car, nice rural home and country lifestyle for an Oyster card on direct debit. Thats safer than anywhere in the UK by my reckonings. Do 200,000 even use the trains in Perth?

Incidentally the crime rate where I live is 85 per thousand so thats 17,000 per 200,000. I think your other half will probably be quite safe.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 5:48 pm
Forum Regular

daddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to alldaddyofthree is a name known to all

Excellent first comment Dorothy (page1). Perth dangerous? Try travelling to sunderland at any time of the day, even the bloody river doesn't stop! My advice is get a taxi after 9pm.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:07 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

I'm going to put a spanner in the works here and say that there is no way I would travel on the trains alone at night in Perth. In Perth the city train station was full of weirdos - hairy biker blokes or gangs of kids. They have a police station there for a reason. At night they have guards on the train and again that is for a reason. Full of mostly weirdos. I saw quite alot of aggro on the Freo - Perth line. One beardy weirdo was really laying in to a nurse who had finished her shift, threatening, swearing etc luckily the guards stepped in. I have seen loads of people chucked off the trains. In the UK the average person uses public transport whereas in the States and Aus I find it is some of the more marginalised people who do. There was actually a Perth play written - night train to Freo (I think) about the dodgy trains. Also there are gangs of kids who think it's cool to swear and intimidate people. Lots of crime takes place at the Perth station and on the trains. Personally I had one really scarey experience on a train in the UK, back in the 80s when a skinhead was attacking people and then one in the states where a kind of gangster type guy started threatening my husband and was yelling all this ' homeboy' stuff and pointing to his pants like he had a knife, it was terrifying. Luckily in Perth there is the guards at night time and my advice would be if you have to travel stick near to them. Well dodgy. These days I stick to driving or walking !
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:10 pm
JRB
Forum Regular

JRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to beholdJRB is a splendid one to behold

Just to add it's called 'Last train to Freo' and it's being made into a film and should be released in Australia.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 10:55 pm
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I've never been to Perth but I'll comment on Sydney, as I'm sure any big city in Australia is much the same.

IMHO it really depends what you're used to, as to how safe you feel. Had I come straight from Leeds, I probably wouldn't notice anything as I'd carry on the same as I did there. Having spent six years in Singapore, where I could walk around the red light district in the middle of the night (I lived there, ok ) I admit I do at times feel uncomfortable - even in daylight.

I carry my bag across my body here, as I've seen most other women do that. I won't use the trains alone at night. There are some dark areas I won't walk past (I know they're saving the planet but, FFS, the occasional street light would be good).

Not sure if the risk is all in my head or not, as I don't live in any of the worst crime areas, but it doesn't hurt to take reasonable precautions wherever you are.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 12:36 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

Last year my Mrs went out in the city and took the train back to Joondalup by herself. There were no guards on this train which was unusual and a huge fight broke out. She was terrified.

The area around the train station in the city is a magnet for scum at night and was very worried about my mrs being there on her own.

I once had some twunt throw a rock at me at Joondalup station, and this was in the afternoon, not at night.

I think an Asian travelling on his or her own would be much more vulnerable than an anglo.

My advice? get a car.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:39 am
Forum Regular

Thank you, everyone, for the experiences and tips. It is very helpful and I can visualize better what I can look forward to when I'm there. I take the safety in my country (also a big city but extremely safe) for granted and definitely need to be more street smart when I'm in Perth (or any other big city for that matter).

I noticed that Perth station is the interchange and I would definitely need to stopover to switch to the Joondalup line. Really worried about that, but I guess I need to experience that for myself next year to find out!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 1:55 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Originally Posted by Santa
That's nothing, 31 people have been bored to death in Perth just in the last week. If you go south it only gets worse, take Busselton for instance, the whole towns dead now, but at least the old people are happy !

That could be almost true
Old Oct 20th 2008, 2:55 am
happy to be here!

nightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond reputenightnurse2 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRB
Just to add it's called 'Last train to Freo' and it's being made into a film and should be released in Australia.
It is already out - saw it on foxtel last year
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Uuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the roughUuuh Patsy is a jewel in the rough

God, I don't know where you people come from, but Dublin is like the OK Coral compared to Joondalup. No comparison. You just have to look at the headlines on a daily basis. They reported today on Perthnow that a bloke was hit would a bottle yesterday. I was shocked... that they would even report such a trivial event. Although I'm sure it wasn't trivial for the victim. In Dublin, you don't make the papers unless your pretty much dead.

Take it from me... Its heaven here.. in comparison to most European metro areas that I have been too. Just have some common sense and keep you wits about you. Don't be the weak animal to pack singles out.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.