Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Old Oct 18th 2008, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough
Default Is Perth really that dangerous?

So my family is telling me it is impossible for a small sized young lady to be taking the train alone at night. Is that true? Is Perth that unsafe? Please share your experiences.

Statistics says that approximately 1 out of 200,000 people who take the train are victims of crime.

Last edited by lovelyshine; Oct 18th 2008 at 3:06 pm. Reason: added more info
Old Oct 18th 2008, 3:38 pm
Forum Regular

lang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud oflang81 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Is Perth really that dangerous?

In my experience, not on the Clarkson line. Transit gaurds are usually on the train. Can't speak for the other lines though.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

noggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to allnoggin is a name known to all

Perth dangerous? theres no one there!!.keep away from Northbridge past midnight and u will b fine
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:16 pm
Forum Regular

ketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really niceketty is just really nice

Perth unsafe?
Go to the CBD at a quarter past six and count the people you will see, probably you stay alone!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:20 pm
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

I know! I have googled my brains out the past couple hours and could not find any articles about Perth being unsafe, except for some train crimes and a Chinese ECU student getting killed. My friend went on and on about how unsafe it is and that I MUST buy a car and never take the train at night. I find it hard to believe her when I can hardly find anything on Google. And my friends call me Google Queen.

I was thinking of living in Joondalup even though I'll be going to school at UWA. Wise choice? I really like Joondalup. It's all new and pretty. And for $320 I could get a decent and new apartment.

Will definitely stay away from Northbridge then!
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Sydney, Australia, but home to EU in 2009 for good!
Mikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to beholdMikeyc is a splendid one to behold

Joondalup is nice, my family live there, but my brother got a knife held to his neck when getting off the train and had his money and wallet stolen. Joondalup is pretty safe, just not as safe or as nice as it used to be.

Perth does have the highest home burglary rate in the country, but as long as you avoid northbridge and the city at night you should be fine. From my own experience trains are usually safe at night.

Mikey
Old Oct 18th 2008, 4:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
I know! I have googled my brains out the past couple hours and could not find any articles about Perth being unsafe, except for some train crimes and a Chinese ECU student getting killed. My friend went on and on about how unsafe it is and that I MUST buy a car and never take the train at night. I find it hard to believe her when I can hardly find anything on Google. And my friends call me Google Queen.

I was thinking of living in Joondalup even though I'll be going to school at UWA. Wise choice? I really like Joondalup. It's all new and pretty. And for $320 I could get a decent and new apartment.

Will definitely stay away from Northbridge then!
Hi

Don't know where your from? but the info that I have, is that even Northbridge is tame compared to most of the UK!

Steve
Old Oct 18th 2008, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

kiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of lightkiwinow is a glorious beacon of light

You hear different things. A while back there were people saying they'd never take a southern line and definitely not the line that goes to Midland, but most people that take that northern route to Joondalup have had no problem. Then you hear that someone was held up at knife point so it's probably just a case of being in the wrong place at the wrong time. There will always be opportunistic crimes which doesn't make the whole place bad all the time. I think you can feel safe on the trains in the daytime and normal commuter hours. The stations we saw looked clean, open and well lit.
Old Oct 18th 2008, 6:49 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

I heard the murder rate is even worse than Bogotá, Columbia...
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:21 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Well, I've been murdered three times this year alone! Once while riding the train, once while shopping in Joondalup and once in Northbridge. It's a wonder anyone survives here.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Well, I've been murdered three times this year alone! Once while riding the train, once while shopping in Joondalup and once in Northbridge. It's a wonder anyone survives here.
Yikes, Dorothy! What is your definition of murdered?

Originally Posted by Mikeyc
but my brother got a knife held to his neck when getting off the train and had his money and wallet stolen.
Okay I know not to carry too much money and use more cards. I will try my best to look like a poor student too.

So when is normal commuting hours? 6am to 9am and 4pm to 8pm? The last time I was there we rented a car, so we have no idea at all. I'm trying to see if my school hours would allow me to fit in normal commute hours.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Danny B
I heard the murder rate is even worse than Bogotá, Columbia...
thats ridiculous

look at london at the moment
27 teenagers have been murdered(mainly by other teenagers) this year so far
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Santa is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to beholdSanta is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by cockney pommy
thats ridiculous

look at london at the moment
27 teenagers have been murdered(mainly by other teenagers) this year so far
That's nothing, 31 people have been bored to death in Perth just in the last week. If you go south it only gets worse, take Busselton for instance, the whole towns dead now, but at least the old people are happy !
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:35 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Santa
That's nothing, 31 people have been bored to death in Perth just in the last week. If you go south it only gets worse, take Busselton for instance, the whole towns dead now, but at least the old people are happy !
You're hilarious.

My email is yahoo.co.uk and I get the feeds on news on my main Yahoo page. I try to avoid looking at it because it is always about someone getting murdered. And recently it's about teenagers getting killed.

So when are normal commute hours in Perth. I am still wondering.
Old Oct 19th 2008, 2:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
You're hilarious.

My email is yahoo.co.uk and I get the feeds on news on my main Yahoo page. I try to avoid looking at it because it is always about someone getting murdered. And recently it's about teenagers getting killed.

So when are normal commute hours in Perth. I am still wondering.

06:30 - 08:30 and 15:00 - 18:30 are the busiest times in my experience on the Joondalup ( Clarkson ) line. I have always felt safe on the trains, even at night and, as has been said, there nearly always seem to be transit guards on the trains at night.

Been here 8 months and haven't been burgled, robbed or mugged. Never felt safer.

Last edited by elmtree; Oct 19th 2008 at 2:58 am. Reason: .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.