Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Old Nov 28th 2008, 4:35 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Perth really that dangerous?

Originally Posted by renth
You might be thinking about Capoeira.

One's ex ex-military and a martial arts instructor, the other probably isn't as tough as the first, but they'd both kick my arse.
hmmm... I'm sure they'd make short change of me pretty quickly too. As would most people, I might add.

Is there anyone on british expats who could give Renth's mates a run for their money, I wonder?
Old Nov 28th 2008, 4:42 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
Two of my mates have got into aggro with aboriginals on 2 separate occasions, one at Perth station, the other at Freo station.

What these unfortunate indigenous folk couldn't know is both these blokes are highly adept at various martial arts including kung fu and Muay Thai.

Both sets of aboriginals ended up getting the shit beaten out of them.
We have a few aboriginal families living near us, a couple of which burgled the lady opposite, she has a tiny little dog that isnt a guard dog and they broke into the part where the dog wasnt there.

That is one of the reasons we bought a dog to give the house some protection if only a small amount.

One of my managers sons was attacked by a group of them, and my colleagues sister was mugged by a group of them.

It is very hard - I am torn between feeling very sorry for this 'lost culture' and the stolen generation yet I cannot be the sacraficial lamb and feel too sorry for anyone that wants to steal my bag or hurt me - no matter how hungry/poor/disadvantaged they are.

I am somewhat relieved when I walk my dog, they cross the road to avoid me.

What can you do? How can this be sorted?

Who knows, not me thats for sure but I guess I do what I can to protect myself and my property and hope everything will be OK.

Guess it is back to the old saying - crime everywhere to different degrees and until you are affected by it yourself then you wont totally understand.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
hmmm... I'm sure they'd make short change of me pretty quickly too. As would most people, I might add.

Is there anyone on british expats who could give Renth's mates a run for their money, I wonder?
I could.......I'm 6'8" and weigh 300lbs. I was a member of an elite special forces unit of the Salvation Army for 20 years and have been named cyber warrior of the year 1998 to the present day... I am really really hard!!

This may or may not be true....
Old Nov 28th 2008, 5:41 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by geordiebloke
I could.......I'm 6'8" and weigh 300lbs. I was a member of an elite special forces unit of the Salvation Army for 20 years and have been named cyber warrior of the year 1998 to the present day... I am really really hard!!

.......and I was Xena, Princess Warrior.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
We have a few aboriginal families living near us, a couple of which burgled the lady opposite, she has a tiny little dog that isnt a guard dog and they broke into the part where the dog wasnt there.

That is one of the reasons we bought a dog to give the house some protection if only a small amount.

One of my managers sons was attacked by a group of them, and my colleagues sister was mugged by a group of them.

It is very hard - I am torn between feeling very sorry for this 'lost culture' and the stolen generation yet I cannot be the sacraficial lamb and feel too sorry for anyone that wants to steal my bag or hurt me - no matter how hungry/poor/disadvantaged they are.

I am somewhat relieved when I walk my dog, they cross the road to avoid me.

What can you do? How can this be sorted?

Who knows, not me thats for sure but I guess I do what I can to protect myself and my property and hope everything will be OK.

Guess it is back to the old saying - crime everywhere to different degrees and until you are affected by it yourself then you wont totally understand.

That is just really sad. Is the government doing anything about them? This is a huge social problem that needs to be solved. Meanwhile I have to get a fierce dog and prepare a pepper spray. Speaking of pepper spray, are those legal there?

Last edited by lovelyshine; Nov 28th 2008 at 6:00 am.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 6:13 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
That is just really sad. Is the government doing anything about them? This is a huge social problem that needs to be solved. Meanwhile I have to get a fierce dog and prepare a pepper spray. Speaking of pepper spray, are those legal there?
Yes it is legal and you can buy it here..........http://www.exclusiveproducts.com.au/...&products_id=1
Old Nov 28th 2008, 7:35 am
Forum Regular

sidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nicesidneee and kinnyboy is just really nice

Originally Posted by geordiebloke

Thanks Geordiebloke, you made me laugh my arse off (which it seriously needs!)
Thabks for brightening the day!
Sidneee XXX
Old Nov 28th 2008, 9:13 am
Forum Regular

toan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to alltoan is a name known to all

Originally Posted by markallwood

This made me chuckle,never underestimate an oponent.
Seriously though are there any good martial arts clubs in Perth,i'll be moving south,Baldivis way,currently teach ju-jitsu.Never had time to look when there in May,thinking of starting my own club.
Some people say i'm bad but i only smell bad
Old Nov 28th 2008, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

natsind is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for sharing your valuable idea and info.

First i wondered to know about that, these can also happen in OZ too? However it is common in india but really surprised to know that it is happening in OZ too.

Second i was feared to know that, i will have to travel in late evening to reach where i am planning to go in OZ, perth to albany and i am indian and will alone during my journey till 9PM OZ time.

Third, i am really confused now after read other friends opinion and experiences and thinking about my journey. I will travel with my 2 big and 1 small bag.

:curse::curse::con fused:

Can anybody pls. advice me, should i travel at late evening during perth to albany or not? Is is safe or not? What precautions i need to remember and take? Finally is it advisable or not?

Thanks
Nitu
Old Nov 28th 2008, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by natsind
Thanks for sharing your valuable idea and info.

First i wondered to know about that, these can also happen in OZ too? However it is common in india but really surprised to know that it is happening in OZ too.

Second i was feared to know that, i will have to travel in late evening to reach where i am planning to go in OZ, perth to albany and i am indian and will alone during my journey till 9PM OZ time.

Third, i am really confused now after read other friends opinion and experiences and thinking about my journey. I will travel with my 2 big and 1 small bag.

:curse::curse::con fused:

Can anybody pls. advice me, should i travel at late evening during perth to albany or not? Is is safe or not? What precautions i need to remember and take? Finally is it advisable or not?

Thanks
Nitu
Nitu,If i am reading correctly what you write then i must inform you that you certainly are a little confused.
There is no way that you will be taking a train to Albany,as there is not one,and with Albany being 252 miles south of Perth it certainly would not be a daily commute.
You can certainly take a coach(long distance bus) i think it runs twice a day..it is about a seven hour journey(five and a bit by car)
I wonder did you mean Armadale?That is last stop on one of the metropolitan train routes.If so then a certain sense of being aware of your surroundings would be highly advisable late at night.
Old Nov 28th 2008, 12:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

the troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond reputethe troubadour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
It is not only Perth where this is an issue.When i lived some years ago in the NT in both Darwin and Alice quite a few issues surfaced up there also(some serious)
You are of course correct in stating that it is a huge social problem...but with some what confused ideas (by government)on solving the issue,which to be fair is far from easy.
Both carrot and stick approach do not seem to have much success and not sure the answer comes from within the community,which was what i thought some years ago when came out to live in Oz.(communities often fractured with something not too short of war between families)
Talking of dogs,in Darwin, close on every house in the burbs there had one,often quite ferocious to protect property from breakin,etc.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 11:27 am
Forum Regular

Dear all,

should i travel from perth to southwest at evenings/night till 10 PM? pls. enlighten me i am confused.

thanks
Nitu
Old Nov 29th 2008, 1:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Dear all,

should i travel from perth to southwest at evenings/night till 10 PM? pls. enlighten me i am confused.

thanks
Nitu
What seems to be the confusion??Already stated that it is not possible to travel by train to South West at night.You will need to clarify what it is you want to do.
Old Nov 29th 2008, 2:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by the troubadour
What seems to be the confusion??Already stated that it is not possible to travel by train to South West at night.You will need to clarify what it is you want to do.
dear the troubadour - Senior Member,

thanks a lot dear. i was just needed above which you have mentioned. You have clearly mentioned that, it is not possible to travel to south west or any other place from perth at night. Now i got it clearly. I just wanted to know it in clear words like you mentioned.

By the way, i planned to travel to busselton & bunbury at night from perth because of flight arrival schedule and non availability of connecting flights to busselton and bunbury from perth. i wanted to travel in australind and other trains from perth. but now i will not travel there at night.

Thanks
Nitu
Old Nov 30th 2008, 3:06 am
'In limboland'

dear the troubadour - Senior Member,

thanks a lot dear. i was just needed above which you have mentioned. You have clearly mentioned that, it is not possible to travel to south west or any other place from perth at night. Now i got it clearly. I just wanted to know it in clear words like you mentioned.

By the way, i planned to travel to busselton & bunbury at night from perth because of flight arrival schedule and non availability of connecting flights to busselton and bunbury from perth. i wanted to travel in australind and other trains from perth. but now i will not travel there at night.

Thanks
Nitu
You won't travel down there during the day either, as there is no public transport whatsoever to that area from Perth. The only way is to hire a car or get a taxi, but I doubt you'd get a taxi to take you down there from Perth either. As for connecting flights, you've obviously not done your homework on WA.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.