Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Is Perth really that dangerous?

Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:21 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is Perth really that dangerous?

Originally Posted by Santa
That's nothing, 31 people have been bored to death in Perth just in the last week. If you go south it only gets worse, take Busselton for instance, the whole towns dead now, but at least the old people are happy !

I hear they stand the dead up in the bus shelters to make it look busy.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:32 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Uuuh Patsy
God, I don't know where you people come from, but Dublin is like the OK Coral compared to Joondalup. No comparison. You just have to look at the headlines on a daily basis. They reported today on Perthnow that a bloke was hit would a bottle yesterday. I was shocked... that they would even report such a trivial event. Although I'm sure it wasn't trivial for the victim. In Dublin, you don't make the papers unless your pretty much dead.

Take it from me... Its heaven here.. in comparison to most European metro areas that I have been too. Just have some common sense and keep you wits about you. Don't be the weak animal to pack singles out.
They only reported it because it was the only thing that happened in Perth that day.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:41 am
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by manc1
I hear they stand the dead up in the bus shelters to make it look busy.
ROFL!

Originally Posted by Notts_bloke
They only reported it because it was the only thing that happened in Perth that day.
Well that is a good sign.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:43 am
BE Enthusiast

manc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond reputemanc1 has a reputation beyond repute

On a more serious note, this was in the news today.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/article.aspx?id=273634
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:48 am
Account Closed

Notts_bloke is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lovelyshine
ROFL!

Well that is a good sign.
Is it?
Old Oct 20th 2008, 3:59 am
Auntie Fa

Kooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond reputeKooky. has a reputation beyond repute

I think glassing is one of the lowest sorts of violence. Maybe because I had a friend back in the UK years ago who got glassed (for very little reason) but I think it's just nasty. One moment of drunken hot-headedness, a lifetime of scars - usually facial.

(lovelyshine, is it too late to change your plans to Sydney? )
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:01 am
Forum Regular

lovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the roughlovelyshine is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by manc1
On a more serious note, this was in the news today.

http://www.skynews.com.au/news/article.aspx?id=273634
Geez. How about more cops patrolling? I would love to go out and drink once in a while without having to worry about someone throwing glass in my face.

Seasider: Then I might as well stay put wherever I am. I think I'm in love with boring Perth, without the crime of course.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:01 am
'In limboland'

St.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond reputeSt.Georges Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Santa
That's nothing, 31 people have been bored to death in Perth just in the last week. If you go south it only gets worse, take Busselton for instance, the whole towns dead now, but at least the old people are happy !
Brain dead, but happy, even though they don't know it.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 4:09 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmtree
Been here 8 months and haven't been burgled, robbed or mugged. Never felt safer.
Try Mornington high street in Melbourne on a Friday or Saturday night - you will get better results
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

cockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant futurecockney pommy has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JRB
I'm going to put a spanner in the works here and say that there is no way I would travel on the trains alone at night in Perth. In Perth the city train station was full of weirdos - hairy biker blokes or gangs of kids. They have a police station there for a reason. At night they have guards on the train and again that is for a reason. Full of mostly weirdos. I saw quite alot of aggro on the Freo - Perth line. One beardy weirdo was really laying in to a nurse who had finished her shift, threatening, swearing etc luckily the guards stepped in. I have seen loads of people chucked off the trains. In the UK the average person uses public transport whereas in the States and Aus I find it is some of the more marginalised people who do. There was actually a Perth play written - night train to Freo (I think) about the dodgy trains. Also there are gangs of kids who think it's cool to swear and intimidate people. Lots of crime takes place at the Perth station and on the trains. Personally I had one really scarey experience on a train in the UK, back in the 80s when a skinhead was attacking people and then one in the states where a kind of gangster type guy started threatening my husband and was yelling all this ' homeboy' stuff and pointing to his pants like he had a knife, it was terrifying. Luckily in Perth there is the guards at night time and my advice would be if you have to travel stick near to them. Well dodgy. These days I stick to driving or walking !
that makes a lot of sense actually, not just in peryth but sydney trains too
in the uk the trains are so damn expensive beyond belief, that only the law abiding(generally), money earning type people actually get on them
in oz a dole bludging criminal can easily afford regular train fares
on the streets however it's a different story
i don't see gangs of kids roaming the streets in oz looking for trouble, but in england the streets are infested with troublemakers
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:19 am
(It's not my real name)

renth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond reputerenth has a reputation beyond repute

"Life guards at one of Perth's most popular beaches shut down patrols early yesterday after being forced to flee with an injured girl when an angry mob of up to 300 youths abused her rescuers.

The alcohol-fuelled attack capped off a shameful day which saw tonnes of rubbish, including bottles and syringes, left strewn at beaches from Cottesloe to Scarborough."

http://www.thewest.com.au/default.as...ntentID=103561
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Geelong Gent
Try Mornington high street in Melbourne on a Friday or Saturday night - you will get better results

Nah, thanks. Can't be as bad as Manchester was.
Old Oct 20th 2008, 6:55 am
Has left the building

Geelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond reputeGeelong Gent has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elmtree
Nah, thanks. Can't be as bad as Manchester was.
Most of which now reside on this high street
Old Oct 20th 2008, 7:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: In the tree across the road, watching you with binoculars.
elmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond reputeelmtree has a reputation beyond repute

I can believe it !!!!
Old Oct 20th 2008, 5:42 pm
beach bum

ponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond reputeponyrama has a reputation beyond repute

Well if you're gonna be homeless you might as well be homeless with a tan!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.