Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth - full of thieves

Perth - full of thieves

Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:03 am
Forum Regular

robclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nicerobclaridge is just really nice
Default Re: Perth - full of thieves

Living in Brisbane now...my friends have been here 10 years and burgled once! We've not had anything of the sort. Feels pretty damn safe here to me (Lived here 8 months and loving it!) PS. Why does everyone on these threads moan about Australia and yearn for the England of yesteryear???? That died out in the 70's. Anyway back to my point which will cheer someone up. When living back in the UK we were burgled (police didn't give a flying f**k) Had 4 cars stolen, numerous phones and wallets from the staffroom nicked. (I'm a teacher). Not all bad though. 3 local shits aged 17 - 19 were killed whilst driving a stolen car last year. Yiphee! Please don't waste your breath by telling me its still a shame and blame it in the government! Too damn right I gloated - They were known to be evil bastards
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:07 am
Karma earned, not whored

CadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of lightCadburysFingers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by renth
The Mrs has managed to lose her brand new NextG Nokia mobile phone. It happened between getting out of the car at the dog beach, walking the dog and getting back in to the car. The moment she got home she dialled it and surprise surprise straight to voicemail. Some toerag must have picked it up and chucked the SIM within an hour or so of it having gone missing.

Last year the Mrs lost her purse in the school car park at Ocean Reef Primary School - did that ever get handed in? did it f**k.

I can't believe what a dishonest, thieving bunch of bastards the people of this city are.
Or on the other hand, I can't believe how your Mrs seems to keep losing everything Saying that though there are dishonest people in every city on every street in the world, Perths no different.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:22 am
F*** it!

Fenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond reputeFenton Beasley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by renth
To add to the list...

The Mrs lost my son's digital camera in he park in Bunbury last week. Was it handed in to the police? Was it f**k!

I'd like to second your late addition to the list.

A couple of months ago I was at one of those big storage container villages in Subiaco and stupidly left my camera outside the storage unit. Now bearing in mind that this place has a reception block at the only exit/entrance you'd think someone would had it in to them wouldn't you? F*** no! I called back later that day to see if anyone had handed it in. I left my work's phone number for them to contact me should it get handed in. I'm still waiting.

But let's keep it in perspective. I originally came from a small industrial shit-hole of a town on the banks of the Manchester ship canal. Perth is a crime-free nirvana compared to that! If this is the only theft I experience here in Perth, then I'm a happy man.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:27 am

Vim Fuego is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by I_Will_Freckle
I've heard that house breaking is a big problem in Australia and in Perth in particular. Any ideas on why that is?
The general standard of construction isn't great ... they are cheap to fix though.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 5:44 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fenton Beasley
[F]I'd like to second your late addition to the list.

A couple of months ago I was at one of those big storage container villages in Subiaco and stupidly left my camera outside the storage unit. Now bearing in mind that this place has a reception block at the only exit/entrance you'd think someone would had it in to them wouldn't you? F*** no! I called back later that day to see if anyone had handed it in. I left my work's phone number for them to contact me should it get handed in. I'm still waiting.

But let's keep it in perspective. I originally came from a small industrial shit-hole of a town on the banks of the Manchester ship canal. Perth is a crime-free nirvana compared to that! If this is the only theft I experience here in Perth, then I'm a happy man.[/FONT]
don't you miss the ship canal though.That oily scum that would glide along ,winding it's way past the prams and shopping trolly's.A polluted Pike ,washed up on the bank,with a rat making a meal of it.The glimpse of a dead floating dog rolling in the wake of a barge.It brings a tear to my eye.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 6:49 am
Banned

mr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond reputemr mover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ukecadet
don't you miss the ship canal though.That oily scum that would glide along ,winding it's way past the prams and shopping trolly's.A polluted Pike ,washed up on the bank,with a rat making a meal of it.The glimpse of a dead floating dog rolling in the wake of a barge.It brings a tear to my eye.
you have a way with words............mm
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:04 am

ukecadet is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mr mover
you have a way with words............mm
Thanks.I'm no Banjo Paterson but like to think I'm up there with the Wordsworth's and the like.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:28 am
to be or not to be...

bluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura aboutbluejohn has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by robclaridge
Living in Brisbane now...my friends have been here 10 years and burgled once! We've not had anything of the sort. Feels pretty damn safe here to me (Lived here 8 months and loving it!) PS. Why does everyone on these threads moan about Australia and yearn for the England of yesteryear???? That died out in the 70's. Anyway back to my point which will cheer someone up. When living back in the UK we were burgled (police didn't give a flying f**k) Had 4 cars stolen, numerous phones and wallets from the staffroom nicked. (I'm a teacher). Not all bad though. 3 local shits aged 17 - 19 were killed whilst driving a stolen car last year. Yiphee! Please don't waste your breath by telling me its still a shame and blame it in the government! Too damn right I gloated - They were known to be evil bastards
I wouldn't waste my breathe saying you are wrong, I can't stand bleeding hearts. A little shit I knew from my last visit ,used to harass old folks with his mates, so brave eh.Well he ended up with a steel chair leg in his head after a wild spree (I was gleefully told this when a friend rang me from the UK).
He's ended up in a wheel chair and brain damaged. At least he won't be bothering anyone else and neither will his mates has the blame game began from the parents.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:53 am

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by why
there's crime everywhere..there always has been throughout history... my experience is that it isn't as bad in Australia ...I've lived in several places where you can leave your door open......
there's also the element of "luck and chance' depends who finds your lost stuff..it's opportunistic really
i read a bit in the paper about "fagin" style gangs being run by eastern Europeans in London does anyone know anything more about that?
Yep I read about that, Ive seen the kids begging on the underground and they give out warnings not to give to them as the little shits pickpocket as well - its been on local TV as well i think.

I went by an Eastern European lady sitting near our office block, breastfeeding a child of about 1 years old and holding out a pot for money, she kept saying 'Me starving'. Bollocks if she thinks I am going to believe that, if she was demonstrating that she was lactating, then no way am I going to believe she is starving.

Sending the kiddies out to beg/pickpocket is becoming big business here.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:00 pm
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by biggy
I was at the cash machine the other day...the bloke infront of me couldnt remember his pin so the card kept comin back out, on his third attempt he spat the dummy and walked off...I went up to the machine and it was saying press enter to continue..I pressed it and it threw his card out...I quickly ran round the corner and noticed him in the bank. I said excuse me you left your card in the machine...He snatched it off me, grunted and walked away...not a thanks or sod all. I shouted after him, I wish I had thrown it in the bin, you ungrateful shite!!!! Really pissed me off it did
Sounds like the card he was using may have been stolen!

We were burgled in Adelaide (whilst we slept). We knew who did it (the neighbours over the back) There was a trail of our belongings leading to their 'man' shed.........the Police did nothing.

We moved
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:33 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Our first burglery was when we lived in Adelaide. I had just gone to bed when I heard someone trying to jimmy the door leading from the garage to the back yard. Got the kids and buggered off out of the house. I made sure we made enough noise to scare whoever it was off before they got into the house. My husband was already living over here in Perth, so it was just me and the kids. We moved very shortly after.

Second 2 times were here in Perth. We now have a top notch security system. If the electronic security fails then I also have 9 iron security beside my bed.
Old Jan 28th 2008, 1:40 pm

Cheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond reputeCheetah7 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jan3kids
Sounds like the card he was using may have been stolen!

We were burgled in Adelaide (whilst we slept). We knew who did it (the neighbours over the back) There was a trail of our belongings leading to their 'man' shed.........the Police did nothing.

We moved
God I wonder why the police didnt do anything? Did you go to his shed and break in to get your stuff back?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 4:45 pm
wannabeeinaussie

Blossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to allBlossom is a name known to all

The only thing that was ever stolen from us when we lived in Aus was washing off the washing line!
Old Jan 29th 2008, 6:25 am
Just Joined

fifmac is an unknown quantity at this point

We live in Singapore, hoping for Perth later this year. Police wouldn't attend when we caught blokies climbing over our front gate, had brand new mbike boots stolen whilst living in a 'secure' complex, between us we've lost 3 phones (careless) and never had them returned. I stopped last week to pick up an old guy who had wandered onto a dual carriageway, everyone else was driving around him( turned out he had really bad eyesight and couldn't find the bridge to get to his bus stop.) On a different occasion a guy on a motorbike hit my car from behind (I was parked) his bike ended up underneath my car, and once again everyone rubbernecked and drove on by. Mbike rider lost one of his fingers, but was otherwise ok. There have been a huge amount of things I've loved about being here, and I acknowledge that that the crime rate is very low, but just want to point out that although its sickening when you're affected by crime and dishonesty, it happens everywhere.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:00 am
Jan4kids

Jan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond reputeJan4kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Professional Princess
God I wonder why the police didnt do anything? Did you go to his shed and break in to get your stuff back?
OMG NO! Too dangerous they were feral druggies with 2 snarling pit-pull type dogs. We asked if they'd heard anything and it oddly amusing listening to their lying replies (over their fence was the only way in...and we didn't hear a peep out of the usually very 'vocal' dogs)

I have no idea why the Police didn't do anything, but I wasn't hanging around with 4 small kids waiting for the next time that's for sure!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.