Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth: don't go!

Perth: don't go!

Old Jul 13th 2004, 7:36 pm
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth: don't go!

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Sorry to deflate your self-importance walla1, but my posts aren't specifically aimed at you. And (yawn), because we criticise Oz that doesn't make us negative. Au contraire, we are positively delighted to be back in UK.

On your query re:suicide stats, I don't think there are published stats on a city by city basis (and even if there were, it may vary greatly by suburb). Issues such as unemployment levels, relationship breakdowns, lack of job opportunities have the greatest bearing. Because of that, I think you'll find suicide rates among indigenous people very high - which may skew the stats when comparing, say, with the UK.

My guess is that amongst UK immigrants, the suicide rate in Perth is not significantly higher than any other other city!
Hey Mike

Only a bit of fun, I do put serious posts on too. Self -importance is a new one I will put on my CV. No offence taken, I know you aren't getting at me personally.

It would be interesting to find stats city by city inclusive, or exclusive (both would be of advantage) of the indigenous population that inhabit cities in Oz. That way researchers could then look at what the problems are that effect people locally to see what impact they have on a national level.

Glad of the guess you made about UK imigrants moving to Perth as I'm going there soon!!!

Walla
Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:31 pm
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chippy
Defo got the beer. Slurp. Wood bit? Slurp. What's that then cocker? I'm a lazy barsteward you see. Haven't worked since I got 'ere. Slurp. Burp.

But the truth is I'm STILL waiting for me tools (been 3 months now!), plus I'm having a bit of a rest.
with you here mate.

OK i dont have the excuse of my tools but other that that am with you in spirit.

Note :

Have actually applied for 4 jobs (been here 3 1/2 months - really must slow down - and already turned down 1 job - dont these perth employers realise I have a social life )

Mike,
glad you're happy to be back in the UK. Hope your enjoying it as much as I'm enjoying being back in OZ.

Regards
Mairi
Old Aug 15th 2004, 5:33 pm
Don
Banned

Don is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Australians' idea of fun

Originally Posted by Ulujain
That's Australian's idea of fun, not just folk from Perth.

The rest of your post shows a shocking lack of initiative and imagination.
There's something to be said for it?
Old Mar 5th 2005, 5:41 pm
Banned

kiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond reputekiwichild has a reputation beyond repute

Reading this thread has been quite amusing. Having lived in various cities in Australia, and the last few years in Perth, I thought I might add my 2c worth.

For the sake of brevity, I'll try to keep it brief.

The place and its people are about as warm, inviting, engaging, friendly and entertaining as a turnip in summertime.

Northbridge is the reknowned nitespot where you go for a few drinks, a meal maybe, and to perhaps get your head kicked in for the night's finale.

Perth has the highest burglary and home invasion rate in the whole of OZ

And to top it all off: We seem to get more than our share of single women go missing, who only all too often end up murder victims.

Think I'm exaggerating? Try reading the news in this place, after the most important issue of the day according to people here: Australian Rules Football !! I kid you not when I say It has consistently gotten more coverage than Iraq has over the last 5 years and no doubt more.

Live here too long, and your mind will be endanger of turning to jelly as you sit out front , slowly watching your car rust (afterall trying to be physically active in 40c + heat gets a bit unbearable unless you are at an airconditioned gym).

Oh, and don't forget to take your water bottle when you go shopping, you will need it (or change for cold drinks from the vending machines) if you plan on walking for more than 20-30 mins anywhere.Can you believe the idiots at Perth City Council placed water fountains out in direct sunlight in the city mall? Anyone for a hot water on tap?

In the end you may just give in to the mentality of the place and become another lifeless, superficial, droid going through the motions of what passes here for life.

As soon as circumstances permit, I'm the hell outta here
Old Mar 5th 2005, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

leedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant futureleedslad has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=As soon as circumstances permit, I'm the hell outta here[/QUOTE]

You want to try bradford/uk mate.

I grew up there! Makes Iraq look like a playground. A teeneger last year got on the wrong bus to go home so got off and waited for a bus to go in the right direction. She was last heard over her mobile phone, being raped and beaten by a gang of lads :scared:

There were riots in 2001 over a police officer enterig a house to arrest someone. All shops and a BMW garage, including all cars were looted and burned out.

I even saw a girl get set upon by a whole restaurant, even the staff, while i waited for a bus.

A place is only as bad as you make it. Now being from Bradford, the bum hole of England, i'm damn sure i will love Perth, and can't wait!
Old Mar 5th 2005, 7:48 pm
Banned

Quinkana will become famous soon enoughQuinkana will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kiwichild
Reading this thread has been quite amusing. Having lived in various cities in Australia, and the last few years in Perth, I thought I might add my 2c worth.

For the sake of brevity, I'll try to keep it brief.

The place and its people are about as warm, inviting, engaging, friendly and entertaining as a turnip in summertime.

Northbridge is the reknowned nitespot where you go for a few drinks, a meal maybe, and to perhaps get your head kicked in for the night's finale.

Perth has the highest burglary and home invasion rate in the whole of OZ

And to top it all off: We seem to get more than our share of single women go missing, who only all too often end up murder victims.

Think I'm exaggerating? Try reading the news in this place, after the most important issue of the day according to people here: Australian Rules Football !! I kid you not when I say It has consistently gotten more coverage than Iraq has over the last 5 years and no doubt more.

Live here too long, and your mind will be endanger of turning to jelly as you sit out front , slowly watching your car rust (afterall trying to be physically active in 40c + heat gets a bit unbearable unless you are at an airconditioned gym).

Oh, and don't forget to take your water bottle when you go shopping, you will need it (or change for cold drinks from the vending machines) if you plan on walking for more than 20-30 mins anywhere.Can you believe the idiots at Perth City Council placed water fountains out in direct sunlight in the city mall? Anyone for a hot water on tap?

In the end you may just give in to the mentality of the place and become another lifeless, superficial, droid going through the motions of what passes here for life.

As soon as circumstances permit, I'm the hell outta here
A few years in the salt mines would fix ya up:

Old Mar 5th 2005, 8:44 pm
Happy Daddy

markeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant futuremarkeh has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Quinkana
A few years in the salt mines would fix ya up:

At least it's not down the salt mine

Mark