Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth: don't go!

Perth: don't go!

Old Jul 12th 2004, 6:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Jacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond reputeJacqui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth: don't go!

Originally posted by wombat42
l agree, life in the eastern states is much better, If Perth was so great why are'nt hundreds of thousand of people in the eastern states moving over there. If you are thinking about immigrating to Perth and could not be bothered checking out other places in the eastern states then you are making a big mistake.
What makes you think there aren't hundreds of thousands of people moving over to Perth from the Eastern States? I've no idea of the exact figures, but I wouldn't be surprised each year if there were just that many who do move here. I have lost count of the number of people I've spoken to who have moved interstate. Their main reason for coming here? To get away from the busy and expensive city life over there, whether it be Sydney, Melbourne or any others. Many folk miss their rellies back over east and suffer from homesickness and other feelings of missing things just like us Brits do.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 6:48 am
Go Banana's !!

Off to live in Perth tommorrow, that was a good idea to read this thread !!!

Actually - this guy shouldn't be slagged off for his opinion - it's his experience, what he made of it - not others. I'm just glad he wasn't my travel guide
It's a bit extreme to say don't go, we all have to experience these things for ourselves. Hubs and I had a holiday to Turkey two years ago. We had a great time, the family in the next room hated it. If we were all the same , then the world would be boring.

If he hated it so much then that's HIS opinion and that's perfectly OK for him. He's right to say go and see the rest Oz has to offer and that's what we fully intend to do.

God when did I become so reasonable??

Good luck to all and remember, experience these things for yourself and don't be affraid to say you don't like it.

Good luck

Jill

Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:04 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Andiii

Well your right. this forum isn't a dictatorship so stop putting threads in like you are a dictator.

We are all adults on here, those of us who have chosen to live in Perth, have in the main, been out to do a recci (3 weeks in our case). We know what the pros and cons are, do you thing we haven't agonised over where to settle these past 2 years?

Comments like "don't go to Perth" smack of a dictator, maybe if you hadn't worded your thread in a such a way you wouldn't have received some of the comments you have.

I'm not sticking up for Perth, of course it has it's drawbacks, just like anywhere in the world. It's a matter of choice, something we all still have, unless you live under a dictator................!!!

Walla
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:11 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by walla1
Hi Andiii

Well your right. this forum isn't a dictatorship so stop putting threads in like you are a dictator.

We are all adults on here, those of us who have chosen to live in Perth, have in the main, been out to do a recci (3 weeks in our case). We know what the pros and cons are, do you thing we haven't agonised over where to settle these past 2 years?

Comments like "don't go to Perth" smack of a dictator, maybe if you hadn't worded your thread in a such a way you wouldn't have received some of the comments you have.

I'm not sticking up for Perth, of course it has it's drawbacks, just like anywhere in the world. It's a matter of choice, something we all still have, unless you live under a dictator................!!!

Walla
Perth is clean. But, then so is Singapore - which is nowhere near as interesting as its 'dirtier' cousin, HK.

In my 12 years of living in Oz, I went to Perth twice. That was enough for me. It's all relative : if you prefer the buzz of larger cities - eg Melbourne, Sydney - Perth will be as exciting as watching grass grow.

It wasn't the city I had the biggest issue with, it is its isolated position in Oz. With more than 4-5 hours expensive flying time from Oz's other major cities, Perth is firmly stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:16 am
wombat42

Hi Andiii

Walla

My point is if you plan to immigrate to Australia you should not
just consider Perth and rule out every other place in Australia. You
should first check out most of the eastern states as well as Perth and if you then think Perth is the best place to live then move there.

Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:17 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by MikeStanton
Perth is clean. But, then so is Singapore - which is nowhere near as interesting as its 'dirtier' cousin, HK.

In my 12 years of living in Oz, I went to Perth twice. That was enough for me. It's all relative : if you prefer the buzz of larger cities - eg Melbourne, Sydney - Perth will be as exciting as watching grass grow.

It wasn't the city I had the biggest issue with, it is its isolated position in Oz. With more than 4-5 hours flying time from Oz's other major cities, Perth is firmly stuck in the middle of nowhere.
Hi Mike

I know it's stuck in the middle of nowhere and that suits us just fine, again, it's all about choice. It's been a topic of discussion in our house on numerous occasions. We have friends and family there so hopefully we will settle quicker.

On a personal note I live in a city with all the hustle and bustle and at the mo watching grass grow in Perth suits me just fine and am sure will find it very exciting!!

Hey, but it's not the end of the world, if we can't settle we can look elsewhere

Walla
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:20 am
Keeping it fairly real

Originally posted by wombat42
My point is if you plan to immigrate to Australia you should not
just consider Perth and rule out every other place in Australia. You
should first check out most of the eastern states as well as Perth and if you then think Perth is the best place to live then move there.

Point taken

Main reason for Perth is we family and friends there and as I've just said to Mike, if we don't settle we can look at alternatives, although can't see any reason why we shouldn't settle. Suck it and see

Walla
Old Jul 12th 2004, 7:25 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Mike

I know it's stuck in the middle of nowhere and that suits us just fine, again, it's all about choice. It's been a topic of discussion in our house on numerous occasions. We have friends and family there so hopefully we will settle quicker.

On a personal note I live in a city with all the hustle and bustle and at the mo watching grass grow in Perth suits me just fine and am sure will find it very exciting!!

Hey, but it's not the end of the world, if we can't settle we can look elsewhere

Walla
Of course.

As always, there is a reason house prices are relatively low in places like Perth. And some people will like the isolation.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 8:02 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Nowhere - where is that? Not around me.

Nowhere Man
The Beatles.

He’s a real nowhere man,
Sitting in his nowhere land,
Making all his nowhere plans
For nobody.

Doesn’t kave a point of view,
Knows not where he’s going to,
Isn’t he a bit like you and me?
Nowhere man, please listen,
You don’t know what you’re missing,
Nowhere man, the world is at your command.

He’s as blind as he can be,
Just sees what he wants to see,
Nowhere man can you see me at all?
Doesn’t kave a point of view,
Knows not where he’s going to,
Isn’t he a bit like you and me?
Nowhere man, don’t worry,
Take your time, don’t hurry,
Leave it all till somebody else
Lend you a hand.

He’s a real nowhere man,
Sitting in his nowhere land,
Making all his nowhere plans
For nobody.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 8:06 am
Forum Regular

tetley101 is an unknown quantity at this point

andii,

did you say you preferred wandering around kings cross? There are a few places in vic park you may have found more interesting.

What about the weather in perth?

tetley
Old Jul 12th 2004, 8:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Muzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant futureMuzza04 has a brilliant future

Originally posted by MikeStanton

It wasn't the city I had the biggest issue with, it is its isolated position in Oz. With more than 4-5 hours expensive flying time from Oz's other major cities, Perth is firmly stuck in the middle of nowhere.

Yep, Perth is indeed isolated, One of the remotest cities in the world, for those who dont know that.....so be careful where you choose to live !!!!!

The nearest major city is Adelaide, some 2000km East of here.

Now who needs to go to these places in a hurry!!. Perth has everything you need.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 8:32 am
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Andiii
I've lived in AUS my entire life and have travelled to Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane.

As a change, I thought I'd travel to Perth and take in some of the scenary. I hadn't done much research, so I didn't know what to expect. Very stupid of me.

In terms of Pros and Cons

Pros

- People are friendly
- Cheap housing

Cons

- Boredom

I was EXTREMELY bored in Perth, and this isn't the... the usual boredom. This is the "I'm going to die" boredom.
Hear Hear!! I went to Perth about 4 years ago and it was very very dull indeed! What I found most distressing was the seemingly endless acres of dreary suberbian housing - totally souless.

Anyne know what the suicide rate is in Perth compared to other Oz Cities? I've heard Canberra isnt much better.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 8:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by Andiii
I've lived in AUS my entire life and have travelled to Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane.

As a change, I thought I'd travel to Perth and take in some of the scenary. I hadn't done much research, so I didn't know what to expect. Very stupid of me.

In terms of Pros and Cons

Pros

- People are friendly
- Cheap housing

Cons

- Boredom

I was EXTREMELY bored in Perth, and this isn't the... the usual boredom. This is the "I'm going to die" boredom.

If you want early retirement, GO TO PERTH.

There's nothing to do in Perth. I browsed the entire city in under 2 hours. For the rest of the day, I went back to my hotel and slept.

Later at night, I thought I'd investigate Perth's night life. Succinctly, there is no night life or life at night.

It seems that a Perthites idea of "fun" is to get drunk at a local bar. Understandably, if I lived in Perth, I'd prefer to be drunk too.

- Lack of variety, selection, services

I found 1 supermarket in the city. Woolworths. It was extremely small and had very little to offer.

There's a dozen convenience stores scattered around the city with hardly any of the luxuries that Melbourne or Sydney has.

In general, Perth offers only the basics in terms of shopping. You have your Myers, your jeans stores, your food court and that's... well, it.

The public transport is disgraceful. The buses are extremely small and always running late.

- Homelessness

I thought Melbourne's and Sydney's homeless population was appalling. I was wrong. Perth takes the cake.

I'm 5'11 and I honestly was afraid walking around the city. And did I mention that I've walked King's cross at night?

After the first day exploring what little there was in Perth, I basically stayed in my hotel room for the rest of my holiday. I've never been so bored or depressed in my entire life.

Ultimately, if you intend on living in Perth, PLEASE PLEASE explore some of the other cities beforehand so that you understand that not all Australian cities are 50 years behind the rest of the world.

If you intend on going to Perth for a holiday (and have no family there), DON'T BOTHER. Stick to Sydney or Melbourne. Even better, just head out of Australia. That's what I intend on doing next time I get itchy feet.
Live where you want to live, eh mate ?
Old Jul 12th 2004, 9:02 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by NedKelly63
Anyne know what the suicide rate is in Perth compared to other Oz Cities?
Sorry, dont know that .......

........ but I do know Australia's suicide rate overall is higher than the UK as well as being higher than Sweden, Norway, Ireland, Netherlands, Spain & Italy, but lower than Finland, Belgium Austria, Luxembourg, France, Switzerland, Denmark and Germany.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 9:05 am
You sip .... I glug !!!

Vegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond reputeVegemite Kids has a reputation beyond repute

oh and another "interesting" suicide statistic ....

The suicide rate is always higher for males than females in every country in the world apart from China !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.