Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth: don't go!

Perth: don't go!

Old Jul 12th 2004, 11:32 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Perth: don't go!

Originally posted by NedKelly63
Anyne know what the suicide rate is in Perth compared to other Oz Cities? I've heard Canberra isnt much better.
The Perth bloke who was keeping the stats topped himself....

On a more serious note, here are some sad facts about suicide in Oz:

- more people commit suicide than are killed on the roads

- the suicide rate of 14 per 100,000 people has remained pretty constant since 1921

- for both males and females, there has been a shift in suicide death rates from older to younger age groups

- more Australian men killed themselves in the 1990s than died in the Second World War.

Last edited by MikeStanton; Jul 12th 2004 at 11:42 am.
Old Jul 12th 2004, 11:41 am
BE Forum Addict

booboo1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have visited Perth a few times as my brother lives there. it is a beaut of a place and is so clean. I would love to live there but Mr booboo has the opposite opinion to me. Perth suits some people but not all people.

booboo
Old Jul 12th 2004, 11:57 am
BE Forum Addict

MikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond reputeMikeStanton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Mairi&Chris
oh and another "interesting" suicide statistic ....

The suicide rate is always higher for males than females in every country in the world apart from China !
One of the reasons for this is that being in a relationship is very important to men - men are most likely to commit suicide if they have never married or are divorced (excluding gay men, I presume)...
Old Jul 12th 2004, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MikeStanton

- the suicide rate of 14 per 100,000 people has remained pretty constant since 1921

- for both males and females, there has been a shift in suicide death rates from older to younger age groups

- more Australian men killed themselves in the 1990s than died in the Second World War.
What's the suicide rate of readers of your posts Mike ?
Old Jul 12th 2004, 12:07 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of

Originally posted by MikeStanton

I originally asked that question with my tongue firmly in cheek (Perth being dull etc) - but that is scary stuff
Old Jul 12th 2004, 1:36 pm
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Andiii
I've lived in AUS my entire life and have travelled to Adelaide, Sydney and Brisbane.

As a change, I thought I'd travel to Perth and take in some of the scenary. I hadn't done much research, so I didn't know what to expect. Very stupid of me.

In terms of Pros and Cons

Pros

- People are friendly
- Cheap housing

Cons

- Boredom

I was EXTREMELY bored in Perth, and this isn't the... the usual boredom. This is the "I'm going to die" boredom.

If you want early retirement, GO TO PERTH.

There's nothing to do in Perth. I browsed the entire city in under 2 hours. For the rest of the day, I went back to my hotel and slept.

Later at night, I thought I'd investigate Perth's night life. Succinctly, there is no night life or life at night.

It seems that a Perthites idea of "fun" is to get drunk at a local bar. Understandably, if I lived in Perth, I'd prefer to be drunk too.

- Lack of variety, selection, services

I found 1 supermarket in the city. Woolworths. It was extremely small and had very little to offer.

There's a dozen convenience stores scattered around the city with hardly any of the luxuries that Melbourne or Sydney has.

In general, Perth offers only the basics in terms of shopping. You have your Myers, your jeans stores, your food court and that's... well, it.

The public transport is disgraceful. The buses are extremely small and always running late.

- Homelessness

I thought Melbourne's and Sydney's homeless population was appalling. I was wrong. Perth takes the cake.

I'm 5'11 and I honestly was afraid walking around the city. And did I mention that I've walked King's cross at night?

After the first day exploring what little there was in Perth, I basically stayed in my hotel room for the rest of my holiday. I've never been so bored or depressed in my entire life.

Ultimately, if you intend on living in Perth, PLEASE PLEASE explore some of the other cities beforehand so that you understand that not all Australian cities are 50 years behind the rest of the world.

If you intend on going to Perth for a holiday (and have no family there), DON'T BOTHER. Stick to Sydney or Melbourne. Even better, just head out of Australia. That's what I intend on doing next time I get itchy feet.
Hi Andiii,
I have been to Oz 3 times and have visited Queensland, South Oz and WA. I have to agree with you about the housing and the people. WA is definitely my favourite place I can understand that a younger person who likes a lively nightlife might find it a bit boring but for me I love it. I lived about half an hour from London for most of my life and enjoyed a wild youth. I also travelled all over the world with my work and had some great times. I later moved to a lively part of Essex, hated it, I now live in a very quite area of Essex and haven’t been out in London for about 4 years. I have been to London for interviews and absolutely hated the noise, congestion, having to queue for ages for everything, the dirt etc. I love the peace and isolation of parts of WA, we plan to live about an hour south of Perth for work reasons and because we love that part of the country. We feel that for us as a family (2 boys aged 1 and 8) at the moment this suits us.

There are some great restaurants and bars in and around Perth and there’s loads to do ie parks, beaches, water parks, cinemas, sporting clubs, fitness centres, theatres, museums, vinyards, wildlife parks all sorts of classes in fact loads more to do than we have near us now.

We found the bus service really good when my son (then 5) and I travelled from Scarborough to the city centre. We spent the whole day there alone (as hubby had to visit the Perth branch of his firm). We went shopping, saw a movie, went to Kings Park and had a meal in China Town. We got the bus from the bus station at about 10.30 pm, it arrived on time and we had no hassle at all. Far better and cleaner than our locl bus and train services, also the free cat buses around the centre are very convenient.

I love the fact that it is quiet by 11pm, where I used to live near Southend my eldest son was often woken by nosey people passing by in the early hours of the morning.

I have seen far more drunks and homeless not in but certainly around where I now live although I must admit to seeing a few in Perth I certainly saw more in other parts of Oz.

There is lots of choice for shopping outside the city, there are a few shopping centres that are pretty good again more than I have now unless I go to Lakeside or Bluewater and face the traffic. Having said all that I hate shopping (especially for clothes) with a passion-my hubby is very pleased about that.

I have never been to Sydney or Melbourne so I can’t make a comparison but as I don’t like London or city life in general they probably wouldn’t be for me.

I love WA and we will be going back this year for our forth visit and second Christmas in a row. Our relies from SA will be joining us again and we are really looking forward to it.

I disagree with you when you say there is nothing to do but I must admit that with each visit we discover more so our opinion of things to do has change since our first visit in 2000. Possibly a short visit in winter wasn’t enough time or the right time to see everything that Perth has to offer.

As for itchy feet we will take holidays when we feel the need as we do now and we are looking forward to lots of holidays within Australia, NZ and Asia.

Anyway thanks for an honest post.

For those that have not been before visit if you can and draw your own conclusions. Andii and I are describing the same place but seen through different eyes and as many people have said before me you really can’t take someone else’s word for it you have to experience it yourself.

Good luck to you all
Old Jul 12th 2004, 2:19 pm
I Know What's Going On!

SteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the roughSteveBannister is a jewel in the rough

WHO GIVES A *****!!

This is one guys opinion! What's the point of all the arguing?

This site has really gone done the toilet lately, it's just a load of bickering, back-stabbing nonesense.

It's about time a few people grew up!

Now, children, off to bed. It's grown up's time! :lecture:
Old Jul 12th 2004, 2:34 pm
Just Joined

sicilyman is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Really interesting

Probably you will not to read this but..

Didn´t realise you were in Perth. How wonderful! Suicide facts are really interesting I suppose !!!!!!!

The fact that Perth is one of the most isolated cities in the world of course doesn´t mean that it is a bad place to live and I am sure it is more than OK. Another good fact it that it keeps some of lifes dreariest people at least in their own backyard as it were. I can imagine the social evenings talking about suicide rates in China and so on...great stuff. Really must meet up and discuss suicides and divorce for starters ( I am becoming expert on the later maybe)...unfortunately or fortunately ..you are really to far away.

ps. I love marmite..sorry Vegemite.

Any other interesting topics you are into?
Old Jul 12th 2004, 2:39 pm
Now 15% less offensive

NedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud ofNedKelly63 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Really interesting

Originally posted by sicilyman

Didn´t realise you were in Perth. How wonderful! Suicide facts are really interesting I suppose !!!!!!!

The fact that Perth is one of the most isolated cities in the world of course doesn´t mean that it is a bad place to live and I am sure it is more than OK. Another good fact it that it keeps some of lifes dreariest people at least in their own backyard as it were. I can imagine the social evenings talking about suicide rates in China and so on...great stuff. Really must meet up and discuss suicides and divorce for starters ( I am becoming expert on the later maybe)...unfortunately or fortunately ..you are really to far away.

I didn't see that many beach towels drapped over sun loungers at 5:30 in the morning, so it looks like Perth might be Kraut free at least
Old Jul 12th 2004, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Originally posted by sicilyman

*** GENERALISATION ALERT!! ***

Whereas German's and Germany are know to be the life and sole of the party!!!

*** GENERALISATION ALERT ENDED ***
Old Jul 12th 2004, 2:45 pm
Now 15% less offensive

Originally posted by darkless
*** GENERALISATION ALERT!! ***

Whereas German's and Germany are know to be the life and sole of the party!!!

*** GENERALISATION ALERT ENDED ***
Yeah, it would be pretty hard to invade Poland from Perth
Old Jul 12th 2004, 2:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

darkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant futuredarkless has a brilliant future

Yeah, it would be pretty hard to invade Poland from Perth
Rottnest had better watch out...

;-)
Old Jul 12th 2004, 3:05 pm
Just Joined

sicilyman is an unknown quantity at this point

I didn't see that many beach towels drapped over sun loungers at 5:30 in the morning, so it looks like Perth might be Kraut free at least

Oh wow!! Keep on the sunglasses pal or you may see things you may not want to see. By the way I am English and not "kraut "..a great terminology to use I have to say. You are not related to Basil Fawlty I suppose...there again John Cleese was only using Fawlty Towers to show the stupidity of those who still call Germans "krauts".

At least the Germans can get up at 5.30am!
Old Jul 12th 2004, 6:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Innyjim
Dunno. Have they left any notes?
Old Jul 12th 2004, 6:39 pm
Banned

pompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the roughpompeywill is a jewel in the rough

Originally posted by Innyjim
Now THATS funny

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.