Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane????

Perth or Brisbane????

Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice
Default Re: Perth or Brisbane????

When that time comes to make the move will i ever be able to pick which side as its been on my mind for ages now and no matter how many things i am told or people tell me,i still dont know or can pick.
Its more the work issue that worries me,no work is no good.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:57 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
If you are looking at it from the point of opportunities in petrochem. then Perth will be a much better option than Brisbane. The amount of LNG projects currently underway or about to start is truly mind-boggling.
Completely agree. Perth would be a FAR better option, there have been some large offshore discoveries in recent years.

I don't know anything about "fly in, fly out".... is it really viable to live in Brisbane and FIFO with a job on the west coast?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:01 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood
Completely agree. Perth would be a FAR better option, there have been some large offshore discoveries in recent years.

I don't know anything about "fly in, fly out".... is it really viable to live in Brisbane and FIFO with a job on the west coast?
It's not for me but we have guys here in Perth and on the minesite who FIFO from Brisbane, Mackay, Sydney, Adelaide, Tasmania and even New Zealand! Rather them than me.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:05 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
When that time comes to make the move will i ever be able to pick which side as its been on my mind for ages now and no matter how many things i am told or people tell me,i still dont know or can pick.
Its more the work issue that worries me,no work is no good.

For what it's worth Brian, my opinion is go where the work is, at least to start with. If you don't like it there then you have the option of moving interstate. If you can move all the way to Australia, what a few more miles.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:07 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

It's not for me but we have guys here in Perth and on the minesite who FIFO from Brisbane, Mackay, Sydney, Adelaide, Tasmania and even New Zealand! Rather them than me.
Also there is lot of work in Singapore and Jakarta in this industry too. Mr NB just turned down a cracker of a job in Singapore.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by northernbird
Also there is lot of work in Singapore and Jakarta in this industry too. Mr NB just turned down a cracker of a job in Singapore.
I've been talking to Worley Parsons about doing an expat job with them once this one is finished. Somewhere that I can take the family and is not too 3rd world. Watch this space.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:13 am
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

I've been talking to Worley Parsons about doing an expat job with them once this one is finished. Somewhere that I can take the family and is not too 3rd world. Watch this space.
That was the deal breaker, they weren't prepared to offer a rotation and 6 months away is even too much for me to cope with. Brilliant money though so was a shame to turn down. My kids are too old now to move again so anywhere he goes has to have a decent rotation.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 1:15 am
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Well what i been doing these past months is been on careerjet website checking out my work and printing out jobs for two reasons to compare if one place has more than the other and as of now they are much the same if not more in qld which is weird.
And also other reason for this was to get some company names and details for looking for work when i get there.
But maybe this is not the best website to be looking on,i suppose the perth paper and brisbane paper on weds and sats would they have even more ads on there?If so whats they papers names again?so i can check online on them days.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:41 am
Proudly Deplorable

That was the deal breaker, they weren't prepared to offer a rotation and 6 months away is even too much for me to cope with. Brilliant money though so was a shame to turn down. My kids are too old now to move again so anywhere he goes has to have a decent rotation.
One of the instrument engineers here is off to Angola for a couple of years on USD1000/day tax-free. Great for him, shit for his family.

Last edited by Amazulu; Jan 30th 2008 at 2:53 am.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:43 am
Gutter Gob!!

One of the instrument engineers here is off to Angolafor a couple of years on USD1000/day tax-free. Great for him, shit for his family.
if the kids were younger I would have done a stint in Singapore or KL but not Angola. He tried to talk me into Baku a few years ago but I draw the line somewhere
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:51 am
ACE
BE Forum Addict

ACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond reputeACE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markallwood

A friend of mine lives here in Mandurah and does fly in fly out to Abu Dhabi
Old Jan 30th 2008, 2:56 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by ACE
A friend of mine lives here in Mandurah and does fly in fly out to Abu Dhabi
One of the guys on the minesite does this trip every 2 weeks:
Rotorua-Auckland-Perth-Minesite and then return!
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:00 am
Account Closed

Nu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really niceNu-Shooz is just really nice

Why is it always Perth or Brisbane? Why not Sydney or Melbourne...or Darwin or Adelaide...
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:04 am
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
Why is it always Perth or Brisbane? Why not Sydney or Melbourne...or Darwin or Adelaide...
I suggested Darwin but nobody has commented yet. How about Hobart?
Old Jan 30th 2008, 3:13 am
Proudly Deplorable

Originally Posted by Nu-Shooz
I've been to Darwin and think it's a nice place. It's also booming and I can imagine the opportunities are good. Unfortunately, it's one of those places that will always have a Crocodile Dundee/frontier image. Also livng there during the 'wet' has got to be tough. I've been there in January and the heat/humidity is insane. As for Adelaide, I've never been there so cannot comment but despite what people say on here the fact is it's one of the slowest growing cities in Australia and plenty of people leave due to low salaries and limited opportunities, hence all the programs they have there to attract immigrants. Plenty of people move to Melbourne and Sydney.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.