Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Perth or Brisbane????

Perth or Brisbane????

Old Jan 29th 2008, 7:48 pm
Just Joined

behappi22 is on a distinguished road
Default Perth or Brisbane????

be honest where would you say is the best place to live Perth or Brisbane??? Watching BBC Wanted Down Under loads of them move to Perth, wheres the best places to live with a young family?

Any advice would be great??
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

helena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud ofhelena39 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Perth or Brisbane????

Hi, we are waiting for our visa at the moment and I would say Brisbane as I have a brother who lived in Perth for many years (they have no children). He says it is a great place for families but I think thru research that it is a bit far away from anywhere and life is very slow with not much to do. My brother recently moved to the Sunshine Coast and loves it. We are going to the Gold Coast. Before anyone bits my head off about Perth, as I said it is only my observations from reserch and watching Wanted Down Under etc....In my opinion it is to far away from everything and I think and my OH agrees that we might get a bit bored there. But I suppose it all boils down to what type of lifestyle you are looking for and where you can find the best paid jobs etc....as my OH has said if we don't like GC we can always try somewhere else. Australia is a big place.....
Best of luck with the move :-)
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

I am in the same boat,if granted my visa and time to move i have no idea,perth or brisbane.
I work in the oil and gas industry as a pipefitter on sites and on the oil rigs and have been for many years now.
Perth shows and tells me if the place where most of my work might be,but is it a place i will like to live?
I have been there before and did work there before while backpacking some years ago and did think it was ok,but would i like to live there and would i get bored soon?
I be going over alone and want it to be good for work but also not to quiet,i do have relatives there also.

As for brisbane i love it there also or north or south of there and lots to do,many other states to go and visit while there,but is there as much work,or my kind of work?
I dont mind having to travel or get fifo work,some have said if i am good at my job employers will employee me for anywhere i wish to live in oz.

But is there always a damand for my trade in qld in required?

So for me i cant decide,do i work in a place where work is plenty but maybe not like it once lived there a little while.
Or do i go to a place where maybe work is less,but enjoy living there.

I wish i could speak with others in my trade who live there and to get a feel for whats best as i am still not decided.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

melaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud ofmelaniee has much to be proud of

Do you like :
A quiet city or busy city ?
Humid weather or hot hot hot in summer ?
Traffic ?
Good restaurants ?
Do you have kids ?
Do you want to be by the beach ?

All these things are going to have an impact so think about what you want out of your move first. They are very different places.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:21 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by behappi22
be honest where would you say is the best place to live Perth or Brisbane??? Watching BBC Wanted Down Under loads of them move to Perth, wheres the best places to live with a young family?

This is an impossible question to answer. The only way to find out is to come and see for yourself.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:23 pm
Wishing on a star...

cherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud ofcherry6 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by behappi22

Perth is nice enough, but after 4 years here we want to move east. I do find Perth very isolated, once you have done everything here there's nowhere else to go, at least with the eastern side you can drive to another city within a day or two. Airfares from Perth to the east are expensive, it makes it hard to just visit when you want. Dont get me wrong, Perth is great for some people, its just that we want a change now. We also have a young family.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:23 pm
Banned

Timber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond reputeTimber Floor Au has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with Amazulu.

All joking apart , East v West and all that...

I have no comprehension of Perth.

As Mel said, you need to hone your specific requirements initially.

Oz is a BLOODY BIG place, and you can get it very very wrong !

Do your homework !

Ste
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:24 pm
Canuck/Aussie

comet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of lightcomet555 is a glorious beacon of light

Personally I can't answer. But I do know that this same question comes up a lot. You can find some of the other discussions here:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=112841
Old Jan 29th 2008, 10:49 pm
Still alive

Dorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond reputeDorothy has a reputation beyond repute

Darwin
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:08 pm

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

Brisbane.

Perth is 5 hours away by plane, if I want remoteness NZ is much nearer.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:11 pm
Just Joined

Sioban is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Dorothy
Darwin
I have only briefly visited Perth so cannot say much about there I have however been to Brisbane on several occassions and am desperate to go back!
It is a fantastic place - great for singles and families alike. I had enjoyed the great bars and nightlife with my partner on previous visits and we returned last year for a 3 month visit with our 2 kids ( then 3 and 9 months) and I can only say having them with us only improved our feelings for Brisbane.

There are so many great places to go both in the city and both the Sunshine and Gold Coasts and the public transport system was so good we didn't even need a car the majority of the time - even with a double buggy!

We found great rental accomodation which was fully furnished right down to crockery etc whch would be perfect for anyone relocating as it was available for short lets.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

brian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nicebrian.w is just really nice

Yes i love brisbane and the east coast,but would it be the right place for me in my line of work,working in the oil and gas industry for years.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 11:18 pm
Gutter Gob!!

northernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond reputenorthernbird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
Yes i love brisbane and the east coast,but would it be the right place for me in my line of work,working in the oil and gas industry for years.
Even if you come to Perth you more than likely would be FIFO so you might as well be in Brisbane if that is the case.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by northernbird
Even if you come to Perth you more than likely would be FIFO so you might as well be in Brisbane if that is the case.
You have a point there,thats it made up my mind,brisbane it is.Joking aside yes fifo yes probably something that would be done or might have to be done,but i am thinking also for the times when fifo jobs are not busy and will brisbane have still plenty to offer in my work as with working in perth and around the area.
But then saying that even if work did dry up,i could always do something else.
I wish the east coast was on the west coast,how silly does that sound and i be all sorted on where to head.
Old Jan 30th 2008, 12:11 am
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brian.w
If you are looking at it from the point of opportunities in petrochem. then Perth will be a much better option than Brisbane. The amount of LNG projects currently underway or about to start is truly mind-boggling.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.