Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paradise !! at what cost ???

Paradise !! at what cost ???

Old Jun 14th 2005, 10:45 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paradise !! at what cost ???

Originally Posted by pako
Maybe some people are unhappy finacially after their moves because they never:

a) visited the place they moved to it to see the prices of property, salaries, white goods etc etc.

b) Didn't research their salaries or the cost of living etc

c) had unrealistic expectations.

Everyone is happy with different standards of life, I'm sure what is paradise to one person could be quite hellish for another.
None of the above applies to us. But what we didn't take into account was the step back due to the move (and before anyone asks its far MORE than just removal costs involved!!) and was certainly something we weren't prepared for. However nearly 2 years on and things are looking up.

Fortunately for those new to the site they are more prepared because of more realistic posts
Old Jun 14th 2005, 10:47 am
BE Enthusiast

pako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nicepako is just really nice

What costs weren't you prepared for if you don't mind me asking?
Old Jun 14th 2005, 10:49 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pako
What costs weren't you prepared for if you don't mind me asking?
Blimey, i wish i kept these things i did a huge list not long ago, let me see if i can find it......
Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:09 am
High in the Dandenongs

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...ight=set+costs

This was one thread but i can't remember the others it goes something like....

cars
insurance (had to be paid for 1st year due to no jobs etc)
2 driving tests
2 5 year licenses
mobile phones
house (we bought)
one years rates
solicitors fees
connection fees for everything
bank charges (until HSBC set up)
new outdoor stuff (and god there was heaps of it)
new stuff for house, curtains, bedding, bins mops brushes etc, the list is endless)
e tag
school fees
school uniform
school books, bags sports stuff etc
school trips every bloody week!!
replacing white goods

and all your day to day living....

There was more but can't remember. We had budgeted a certain amount but no where near enough. This was coupled with house prices going up massively here and us dropping ours to sell it.Whilst you may say "but we paid for all this in england" you will have done it over time and it doesn't come as any kind of shock, but when your not working and everything HAS to be done its scary. Also this is coupled with no free prescriptions or dentists etc.

Also everyones personal factors weigh in we had the added disadvantage of Matt having to take a job that was about $20k under what we researched as an average wage. However its all picked up now and we are back on our feet.

I am not whinging i am just pointing out that you can think you are well prepared, but the reality was in our case that things didn't work out at the start at all. However its good now and I'm glad we didn't go home
Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:20 am
Badge

Originally Posted by hevs
e reality was in our case that things didn't work out at the start at all. However its good now and I'm glad we didn't go home
mate - sounds quite alarming! was it really that bad at the start - or is that looking back with hindsight - it was tough that winter I suppose, but I wouldn't have said it didn't 'work out' - you got lucky with the house and location after all, and some employment, and you had enough to get by pending adjustments when others would have really struggled with nothing at all.

Hindsight is bizarre isn't it, - our rental was no great shakes but looking back it was perfect for us at the time and anything else would not have worked at all.

badge

Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:30 am
Chelmsford>Leeds>NSW!

lel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nicelel_smiff is just really nice

That was a good list hevs.

I was just thinking of possibly trying to list unexpected charges, but you pretty much hit the nail on the head.

basically you get charged for all sorts of services (usually relating to finances) that you might not get charged for in the UK.

Some of the one's we've just had to encounter:

Gav was reeling for ages, still a bit now, about having to pay stamp duty for his car.

The electricity company wanted him to cough up 200 dollars to register because he couldn't fill in a direct debit form until he opened his bank acct. (there was only a day or two delay though)

Shop around for bank accounts as there can be charges for using ATMs and card transactions and you usually pay monthly charges for having the account in the first place. (All depends on the type of account you want).

I've also found the rates of pay a little different to what I was expecting when I was job hunting via the internet while still in the UK. I'm looking at getting about 4K (AUD) less than I thought I would.

oh well. I am happy enough though!
Old Jun 14th 2005, 11:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

Originally Posted by Badge
mate - sounds quite alarming! was it really that bad at the start - or is that looking back with hindsight - it was tough that winter I suppose, but I wouldn't have said it didn't 'work out' -
It didn't work out according to plan is what i was trying to highlight. I was responding to someone asking what we weren't prepared for. A $20k shortfall in wages isn't my idea of stuff working out.

The house is in a great location but is a huge money pit and we have been dogged with bad luck from the legacy of the previous owner

And thanks lel smiff for hi lighting stamp duty which i certainly forgot, along with stamp on the house and on insurance policies AFTER you've paid GST
Old Jun 15th 2005, 3:20 pm
Banned

amansingh is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Innyjim
Crime rates are higher here than our part of South East England (Reading).
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/uk_ne...484314,00.html

I've lived in Reading my whole life. I live on Oxford Rd in Reading....and I can tell you....its pretty ****ing bad here.

Your luck must have really bottomed out if you are living somewhere worse for crime!

ps....I travelled Oz for a year and can quite honestly say...nowhere compares for crime to some of the places in the UK (including Reading)