Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paradise !! at what cost ???

Paradise !! at what cost ???

Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:03 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Paradise !! at what cost ???

Originally Posted by Geordie George
Cost of renting cheaper?! I'm paying more rent in Sydney than I am in Oxford! And for a smaller place. Now that's saying something!

GG
In my experience It is cheaper than London and Surrey. Maybe I should move to Oxford. Bondi also has a glut of rental property.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:04 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

We did a thread like this a year ago and were accused of being materialistic

However we've been here 18 months now and finacially things are heaps better than a year ago.

What i will say to people is that the move and the relocation knocked us around far more than we origionally thought. Settiing up a new life overnight is bloody expensive and it takes a while to recoup.

To the OP..... It seems to me that the honeymoon period has worn off and this is pretty natural and we all go through it, i felt like you untill i passed the year mark. Now everythings familiar and feels like home. The future feels a lot brighter than it did a year ago Thanks for taking the time to post, i'm sure you will get plenty of support from those of us here.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:11 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Please don't think you're being knocked! As Hevs said, it's a realistic post and a forum such as this needs all experiences to be shared!

(And if I thought people really were interested in the arguments that are raging in the GG household at the moment, because we're stressed and taking it out on each other ( ), I'd relay all those too!)

GG

Originally Posted by jwinch
I think that many of the issues I have raised apply equally to the city areas as well as the beachy backwaters as someone put it. If anything the house prices get worse the closer the city you live.

Yes we've done the many hours of research and thought we new it all, but until you actually live here and in reality have to live on those low wages that you have just spent 50 hours working for its a different matter.

Yes we are staying, I do think the advantages of living in a beautiful area outweigh the disadvantages for us. Perhaps for me its all apart of the settling in process, going through various emotions. But I dont think people should be slated for expressing some realism in a lifestyle forum.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:15 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

(And if I thought people really were interested in the arguments that are raging in the GG household at the moment, because we're stressed and taking it out on each other ( ), I'd relay all those too!)

GG
Believe me we're interested
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:22 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Last night's installment was about how long you should brush your teeth for. Honest. I think we're ready to kill each other now!

GG

Originally Posted by hevs
Believe me we're interested
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:23 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

Before anyone starts jumping on the whinging pom band wagon, No I am not having a bad day and yes it is a beautiful place, But there are many issues I have came up against since being her that I either didn't give enough thought to or perhaps more likely didnt want to give more thought too.

My initial reasons for moving were like many peoples, less work stress, no morgage, better quality of life, better future for the children etc. We lived in East London where you couldn't but a flat for less than £200,000. It always worried me how our children would ever be able to afford a morgage etc.

Well we have been here five months I am a qualified accountant and my husband is a plumber.

We have both manage to find work, my salary has dropped from $50 per hour in the UK to $24 here. My husbands has dropped from $75 per hour in the UK to $28 dollar per hour here. Our Income is only 40% of what we had in the UK. I have spoken to many agents and they assure me these are the going rates for the sunshine coast. all down to supply and demand they say. I don't care what anyone says the cost of living on the coast is BLOODY EXPENSIVE ! when earning $'s

House Prices - The cheapest 3 bed Houses I have seen in this area are $330,000 plus and most of them have been real S**t holes. So unless you come over with lots of UK £ most people will really struggle to pay a morgage. We are back to the same scenario with the kids that given the average earnings they are going to stand even less chance of buying a house.

Yes the area is beautiful, the beaches wonderful, the weather fantastic. but when you are sitting in gridlocked traffic in the centre of buderim or the bruce highway night after night on the way home from work, and when you are driving around in circles for 3/4 hr at the week end to find a parking space near a patrolled beach it does make you take a step back and think.

The cars screeching around the roads at night drives me nuts, especially at 2 - 3 in the morning. Its cheaper here for young kids to get a car on the road as they do not have to pay inflated insurance premiums because it the vehicle thats insured for CTP anyone can drive it. They number of accidents I have seen in five months is beyond belief. mainly involving youngsters or drink drivers. I dread the day my 16 year old starts learning to drive. Our car has been hit three times whilst parked in car parks and my husband had the side of his brand new van taken out in a car park. Every time baring one the culprit drove off leaving no details. It just makes me think for christ sake is this what we have gone through all this for !

They are predicting that the population of the sunshine coast will double over the next ten years. just as my kids leave school. Infrastructure and unemployment are going to be major issues. the area seems at breaking point already, how is going to cope with continued expansion.

My children are in state schools, both very big, one over 2000 students. I have spoken with the Head Teacher and yes immigrants (like myself) are causing major problems for the schools. There are 30+ children in their classes and everyweek there are new children starting, that along with what he describes "feral children" of dole bludgers that are attracted to the coast cause major social disruption to the classes.

I suppose I just feel a bit guilty because I know that we will be alright, we have some money behind us and we can just move on, but have I really given my children a better chance in life ? - or am i just kidding myself ?

Hi

I cant think of two places more different than London and the sunshine coast, it must be a very big change for you.

Weve looked at many areas in australia to live over the past 12 months, wages on the sunshine coast are similar to most places outside of Sydney. The hourly rates you give X 40 hours bring you both into above the average wage for Australia, your wages are not low by australian standards at all.

Would you have earnt those high rates in the UK had you not been in London?, comparing London wages to even country UK would not be favourable.

Anyway the good news is there is ways to make high money in australia, work for yourself. My accountant charges $100 an hour, we pay our plumber about $7000 per house, both self employed.

I still cant agree with you on traffic, we have two jobsites in buderim, the main street is very slow around 5/6 pm and school times, compared to London its still fast moving. We surf every sunday, alexandra headland now used to be Noosa, locals dont try the carparks thems for tourists you park in the backstreets, surfboard on shoulder and walk down.

I totally agree with you on driving, again its not just the coast its australia wide, the age should be raised, anybody sane would agree with that, thank god your not in new zealand its 15 there. :scared:

Again dole bludgers, You see I dont understand why anyone comes here thinking australia does not have these problems, current figures claim 700,000 are on disability pensions 600,000 families with kids whos parents have never had a job they dont all live on the coast its another australia wide problem.

Class sizes some private schools are bigger than state classes, generally its under 25 for grades 1-3, under 30 for 4-8 and 30/35 for high school. Most states seem the same.

Have you looked at many other places in australia? do you think your a bit shocked that australia has reality issues too and are blaming it on the area?, Weve seen a lot of australia and I can honestly say the problems you mention above are very minor here compared to many places in OZ, try central melbourne at night for ferals and drugs, western sydney same but add hoons, the traffic in the SE suburbs of melbourne in rush hour, the wages in perth or the poverty in the outback.

And try to feel more aussie, not many aussies would complain about earning over $2000.00 a week, most would be very envious indeed.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:28 am
High in the Dandenongs

Last night's installment was about how long you should brush your teeth for. Honest. I think we're ready to kill each other now!

GG
Thats a very valid point if your on tank water (married guidence bit free)

Just an aside, we've had no rain for 6 weeks or so so i've had a water delivery. People of MELBOURNE BEWARE!!! it WILL rain like its never rained before sometime soon.

GG, keep the chins up girl xx
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:36 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by jad n rich
current figures claim 700,000 are on disability pensions
Centrelink are just about to trim this number down. Currently those on the disability pension are allowed to work for 30 hours per week, but they are about to cut that to about 15 hours per week.

With the country "running out of workers", and a skills shortage looming, the Government is planning to toughen eligibility for the disability payment.
The pension is paid to people unable to work for at least 30 hours a week, or to injured people who cannot retrain for work for more than two years.
The Government is considering lowering the cut-off to 15 hours a week, so anyone able to work for more than 15 hours would lose their benefit.
Currently you get many people getting the benefit, for a minor disablity, AND still getting a decent income from almost a full time working week!

Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:46 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

I suppose as hevs said its just that the honeymoon phase is over, and at the end of the day we are all looking and hoping for something better for our kids
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:13 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

We have both manage to find work, my salary has dropped from $50 per hour in the UK to $24 here. My husbands has dropped from $75 per hour in the UK to $28 dollar per hour here. Our Income is only 40% of what we had in the UK. I have spoken to many agents and they assure me these are the going rates for the sunshine coast. all down to supply and demand they say. I don't care what anyone says the cost of living on the coast is BLOODY EXPENSIVE ! when earning $'s

did you not research jobs and salarys before you moved or are the jobs you have at the mo just stop gaps till something else comes along in your profession?
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:19 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by walla1

did you not research jobs and salarys before you moved or are the jobs you have at the mo just stop gaps till something else comes along in your profession?

Yes we did research salaries before we come here and yes we did realise we would have to take a drop in salary. but in reality those salaries you see advertised in carrerone etc rarely bare and correlation to whats available. I have applied for many a job on the internet only to be told "these posts have mysteriously been withdrawn but now we have your details can we use them to put you forward for other less well paid jobs"
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:25 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

Yes we did research salaries before we come here and yes we did realise we would have to take a drop in salary. but in reality those salaries you see advertised in carrerone etc rarely bare and correlation to whats available. I have applied for many a job on the internet only to be told "these posts have mysteriously been withdrawn but now we have your details can we use them to put you forward for other less well paid jobs"
I see...

Well from a Perth point of view the salaries are less than the UK in my field of Human Services, however I negotiated a higher starting salary which puts me on just above my UK salary, wife earns slightly less than she did in the UK thou.....

House prices are cheaper by far but I would say the general cost of living is on par with the UK.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jad n rich
Hi

Have you looked at many other places in australia? do you think your a bit shocked that australia has reality issues too and are blaming it on the area?, Weve seen a lot of australia and I can honestly say the problems you mention above are very minor here compared to many places in OZ, try central melbourne at night for ferals and drugs, western sydney same but add hoons, the traffic in the SE suburbs of melbourne in rush hour, the wages in perth or the poverty in the outback.

And try to feel more aussie, not many aussies would complain about earning over $2000.00 a week, most would be very envious indeed.
I am not blameing anything on the area, I am sure the issues I have raised are world wide problems to some degree

And yes we are lucky to be earning what in Aussie terms seems to be a reasonable salary.

But thats my point, we are only in the fortunate position we are in because we are both in skilled workers working 40 hours a week and have brought a reasonably large amount of Capital from the UK.

I was hoping my own children wouldn't have to get into that kind of rat race to keep there heads above water, which seems far more likely to happen here than the UK.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Tass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to beholdTass is a splendid one to behold
Smile Re: Paradise !! at what cost ???

I suppose as hevs said its just that the honeymoon phase is over, and at the end of the day we are all looking and hoping for something better for our kids

Good thread, Thanks for posting it. In the end most of us here ,are here because of what we thought it would offer our kids.
All the best,
Tass.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:53 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i disagree. i think they are far more likely to join the rat race in the uk than here. i earn more than i did in the uk, put in less hours, work is far less stressful, and i have the beach and the weather. still can't afford a house, but that's no different to being in the uk.

for me the only drawback is that i'm 16000km away from my family and friends.

I was hoping my own children wouldn't have to get into that kind of rat race to keep there heads above water, which seems far more likely to happen here than the UK.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.