Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paradise !! at what cost ???

Paradise !! at what cost ???

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Paradise !! at what cost ???

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Do you think the amount you were earning in the Uk was Normal? I recon thats over £100000 between you for 40 hour weeks. Jeez........

Maybe they are from the following part of London

http://forums.cpfc.org/poll.php?s=&a...ts&pollid=2526
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 3:36 am
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NAC
I just wanted to say thankyou to everyone who has contributed to this thread. As someone planning to emigrate this is exactly the kind of thread I personally need. You need to see the reality without the rose-tinted glasses. We have done a lot of research and I do have big doubts. We have always tried to be realistic and see this as a 'big adventure' rather than the pursuit of a better life (although we wouldn't be doing it if we didn't think that our lifestyle would be better). I doubt whether we will be any better off financially, you just hope that other things will make up for that side, but until you live there you will never really know. Everyone's situation is different. We aren't leaving behind inner city life but a rural life in Scotland which possibly makes the decision harder however, at this stage in the application process, the decision to back out and stay where we are actually seems harder to make than the decision to go!
Carolyn
It is a big decision and it's important to remember that the door is always open to go back. We've been here eight months now and I was just having a 'shall we go back' conversation with my wife this morning. We've been unhappy here for the last few months. I think the turning point was getting burgled in February and being shocked to peoples attitude to it. Like 'yeah so what it happens all the time'. Kind of shocked us a bit. The crime levels here are high, just not sure it's the place we want to bring our kids up. We'll probably give it another six months and see how we feel....... Still, I'm glad we gave it a go.......
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 4:19 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Maybe they are from the following part of London

http://forums.cpfc.org/poll.php?s=&a...ts&pollid=2526
An interesting thread there. That group have an average wage of about £41,000 per year, compared to the quoted estimated national average of about £25,700.

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 4:29 am
chilled member

sloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond reputesloake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
An interesting thread there. That group have an average wage of about £41,000 per year, compared to the quoted estimated national average of about £25,700.
Probably because its London based, either that or Crystal Palace fans are rich (should spend some on decent players...)
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 5:02 am
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Gjn200
Do you think the amount you were earning in the Uk was Normal? I recon thats over £100000 between you for 40 hour weeks. Jeez........

Normal for someone that spent six years studying partime at university to become a qualified Accountant and working full time whilst bringing up four kids. Its taken me twenty years of full time work to get to that level.

My husband was a self employed plumber who was on call 24 hours a day and as the press would like everyone to believe was earning £000,000's
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 5:28 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by jwinch
Normal for someone that spent six years studying partime at university to become a qualified Accountant and working full time whilst bringing up four kids. Its taken me twenty years of full time work to get to that level.

My husband was a self employed plumber who was on call 24 hours a day and as the press would like everyone to believe was earning £000,000's

I don't think anyone was having a go at you, just making the point that the salary you were on in the UK is probably not representative of most people and therefore you will probably notice a bigger drop going to Oz than maybe most people would.
Do you think you would ever come back to the UK or are the sacrifices worth it?
All the best , Carolyn
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 5:31 am
NAC
BE Enthusiast

NAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the roughNAC is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Innyjim
It is a big decision and it's important to remember that the door is always open to go back. We've been here eight months now and I was just having a 'shall we go back' conversation with my wife this morning. We've been unhappy here for the last few months. I think the turning point was getting burgled in February and being shocked to peoples attitude to it. Like 'yeah so what it happens all the time'. Kind of shocked us a bit. The crime levels here are high, just not sure it's the place we want to bring our kids up. We'll probably give it another six months and see how we feel....... Still, I'm glad we gave it a go.......

Thanks for that. We do know that we could come back but financially it would set us back years if we did but I suppose if we were very miserable it would be worth it. Where about do you live? It must have been devastating getting burgled ( I think I would have wanted to pack up and leave, there and then!). I hope things improve for you and you decide to stay,
Carolyn
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 5:40 am
BE Enthusiast

Gjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to beholdGjn200 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jwinch

Sorry, but you were very, very well paid compared to most people. I would'nt have dreamed of moving to Oz if my income was that high.(I'm puzzled why you went ) My advice is to come back and try to earn it again.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 8:50 am
Merlot

Originally Posted by Innyjim
Funny you said that about the attitude to being burgled. Had that too in Oz!

I have been a victim of crime in Thailand twice (mugged) and 3 times in Oz, never in the UK (touch wood), is this luck, good planning or an indication that the world ain't always great, this includes the UK.

M

Old Apr 2nd 2005, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

Innyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud ofInnyjim has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by NAC
Thanks for that. We do know that we could come back but financially it would set us back years if we did but I suppose if we were very miserable it would be worth it. Where about do you live? It must have been devastating getting burgled ( I think I would have wanted to pack up and leave, there and then!). I hope things improve for you and you decide to stay,
Carolyn
The wife and I were trying to isolate the thing that's missing from our life in Oz this afternoon over a beer in our local. And I reckon I've got it. Not having anything thing to laugh at. You know, one of those belly laughs that go on forever....... Yeah Little Britain re runs are okay and all that but it's the UK sense of humour that I really miss. Haven't been in histerics for months........ Innyjim Winge over......
We live in Fremantle WA.
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 2:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Merlot
Funny you said that about the attitude to being burgled. Had that too in Oz!

I have been a victim of crime in Thailand twice (mugged) and 3 times in Oz, never in the UK (touch wood), is this luck, good planning or an indication that the world ain't always great, this includes the UK.

M
Hey look I agree. Good planning if you wanted to get burgled and bad if you didn't...... It ain't great certainly, but our part of little britain was a whole lot better than this.....
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 2:54 pm
Forum Regular

Jamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really niceJamiem is just really nice

I'm afraid you can't put any price on this elusive "paradise", namely because there is no such place, in tangible terms anyway. There are beautiful places, and many of them but logically, they will generally cost more to live in, because they will be very sought after. You seem to be comparing your preconceptions and what you wanted to find, with the reality of what you have actually found, and realising that (just as anywhere else on the planet) there are the same problems, to a greater or lesser extent.

Of course, money is a necessary evil, and can make things run much smoother, but is by no means the answer to any problem.

best regards,

Jamie
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 3:32 pm

Vanessa is an unknown quantity at this point

Oh dear looks I am going to have to work when we arrive after all! My husband's salary is going to be about the same in Melbourne as it is in the UK and I was hoping that I could become a 'lady that lunches'. however taking in to account this thread and several others about the cost of living it looks like work will be calling .........
Old Apr 2nd 2005, 4:01 pm
Jammy Dodger

floss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nicefloss is just really nice
Question Re: Paradise !! at what cost ???

Originally Posted by Vanessa
Oh dear looks I am going to have to work when we arrive after all! My husband's salary is going to be about the same in Melbourne as it is in the UK and I was hoping that I could become a 'lady that lunches'. however taking in to account this thread and several others about the cost of living it looks like work will be calling .........
Anybody willing to stick their neck out and suggest what they think is a reasonable "livable" (is that a word?) wage for life in, say, south Queensland or Sydney.... not including rent/mortgage expenses because, of course, any second now there will be an upturn in the housing market here and those of us trying to sell houses will be left mortgage-free in Australia... okay, maybe not, but I am finding it hard to get to grips with the real cost of living and would genuinely be grateful for anyone's opinion.
Old Apr 4th 2005, 12:40 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by floss
Anybody willing to stick their neck out and suggest what they think is a reasonable "livable" (is that a word?) wage for life in, say, south Queensland or Sydney.... not including rent/mortgage expenses because, of course, any second now there will be an upturn in the housing market here and those of us trying to sell houses will be left mortgage-free in Australia... okay, maybe not, but I am finding it hard to get to grips with the real cost of living and would genuinely be grateful for anyone's opinion.
Hi floss, nothing on either place but these were our findings on Melbourne, i should think pretty close to Sydney except house prices.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...&highlight=80k

Sorry to bring up this debate again, no fighting children

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.