Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Paradise !! at what cost ???

Paradise !! at what cost ???

Old Mar 31st 2005, 10:54 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about
Default Paradise !! at what cost ???

Before anyone starts jumping on the whinging pom band wagon, No I am not having a bad day and yes it is a beautiful place, But there are many issues I have came up against since being her that I either didn't give enough thought to or perhaps more likely didnt want to give more thought too.

My initial reasons for moving were like many peoples, less work stress, no morgage, better quality of life, better future for the children etc. We lived in East London where you couldn't but a flat for less than £200,000. It always worried me how our children would ever be able to afford a morgage etc.

Well we have been here five months I am a qualified accountant and my husband is a plumber.

We have both manage to find work, my salary has dropped from $50 per hour in the UK to $24 here. My husbands has dropped from $75 per hour in the UK to $28 dollar per hour here. Our Income is only 40% of what we had in the UK. I have spoken to many agents and they assure me these are the going rates for the sunshine coast. all down to supply and demand they say. I don't care what anyone says the cost of living on the coast is BLOODY EXPENSIVE ! when earning $'s

House Prices - The cheapest 3 bed Houses I have seen in this area are $330,000 plus and most of them have been real S**t holes. So unless you come over with lots of UK £ most people will really struggle to pay a morgage. We are back to the same scenario with the kids that given the average earnings they are going to stand even less chance of buying a house.

Yes the area is beautiful, the beaches wonderful, the weather fantastic. but when you are sitting in gridlocked traffic in the centre of buderim or the bruce highway night after night on the way home from work, and when you are driving around in circles for 3/4 hr at the week end to find a parking space near a patrolled beach it does make you take a step back and think.

The cars screeching around the roads at night drives me nuts, especially at 2 - 3 in the morning. Its cheaper here for young kids to get a car on the road as they do not have to pay inflated insurance premiums because it the vehicle thats insured for CTP anyone can drive it. They number of accidents I have seen in five months is beyond belief. mainly involving youngsters or drink drivers. I dread the day my 16 year old starts learning to drive. Our car has been hit three times whilst parked in car parks and my husband had the side of his brand new van taken out in a car park. Every time baring one the culprit drove off leaving no details. It just makes me think for christ sake is this what we have gone through all this for !

They are predicting that the population of the sunshine coast will double over the next ten years. just as my kids leave school. Infrastructure and unemployment are going to be major issues. the area seems at breaking point already, how is going to cope with continued expansion.

My children are in state schools, both very big, one over 2000 students. I have spoken with the Head Teacher and yes immigrants (like myself) are causing major problems for the schools. There are 30+ children in their classes and everyweek there are new children starting, that along with what he describes "feral children" of dole bludgers that are attracted to the coast cause major social disruption to the classes.

I suppose I just feel a bit guilty because I know that we will be alright, we have some money behind us and we can just move on, but have I really given my children a better chance in life ? - or am i just kidding myself ?

Last edited by jwinch; Mar 31st 2005 at 11:47 pm.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 11:07 pm
aussie73

Default Re: Paradise !! at what cost ???

Originally Posted by jwinch
Before anyone starts jumping on the whinging pom band wagon, No I am not having a bad day and yes it is a beautiful place, But there are many issues I have came up against since being her that I either didn't give enough thought to or perhaps more likely didnt want to give more thought too.

My initial reasons for moving were like many peoples, less work stress, no morgage, better quality of life, better future for the children etc. We lived in East London where you couldn't but a flat for less than £200,000. It always worried me how our children would ever be able to afford a morgage etc.

Well we have been here five months I am a qualified accountant and my husband is a plumber.

We have both manage to find work, my salary has dropped from $50 per hour in the UK to $24 here. My husbands has dropped from $75 per hour in the UK to $28 dollar per hour here. Our Income is only 40% of what we had in the UK. I have spoken to many agents and they assure me these are the going rates for the sunshine coast. all down to supply and demand they say. I don't care what anyone says the cost of living on the coast is BLOODY EXPENSIVE ! when earning $'s

House Prices - The cheapest 3 bed Houses I have seen in this area are $330,000 plus and most of them have been real S**t holes. So unless you come over with lots of UK £ most people will really struggle to pay a morgage. We are back to the same scenario with the kids that given the average earnings they are going to stand even less chance of buying a house.

Yes the area is beautiful, the beaches wonderful, the weather fantastic. but when you are sitting in gridlocked traffic in the centre of buderim or the bruce highway night after night on the way home from work, and when you are driving around in circles for 3/4 hr at the week end to find a parking space near a patrolled beach it does make you take a step back and think.

They are predicting that the population of the sunshine coast will double over the next ten years. just as my kids leave school. Infrastructure and unemployment are going to be major issues. the area seems at breaking point already, how is going to cope with continued expansion.

My children are in state schools, both very big, one over 2000 students. I have spoken with the Head Teacher and yes immigrants (like myself) are causing major problems for the schools. There are 30+ children in their classes and everyweek there are new children starting, that along with what he describes "feral children" of dole bludgers that are attracted to the coast cause major social disruption to the classes.

I suppose I just feel a bit guilty because I know that we will be alright, we have some money behind us and we can just move on, but have I really given my children a better chance in life ?
Obviously OZ is not paradise , but dispite its downsides do you believe overall you have a better life here or was your life better in the UK?

Old Mar 31st 2005, 11:38 pm
Forum Regular

jwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura aboutjwinch has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by aussie73
Obviously OZ is not paradise , but dispite its downsides do you believe overall you have a better life here or was your life better in the UK?

Our life is better because we have the money behind us from the UK ti prop us up. I dont think I can say the same for what my childrens future holds !
Old Mar 31st 2005, 11:40 pm
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i think that too many people come over here with unrealistic expectations and too little research, some after watching those awful tv shows that show people coming to oz and living a perfect 'paradise type' life with very little effort. i'm not putting you in that category as i don't know anything about you or your situation. i'm just giving an opinion.

i came over here to work/travel for a year and never went back. i had no expectations but decided that the experience made me want to stay. one thing that i can say is that i honestly believe that when i have kids they will be better off growing up here. worst case, they go back to the uk (the ossie rite of passage) and work until they've saved sterling to bring back. i can't afford a house here, so i'm hoping that interest rates go up again and help with a readjustment to bring wages/house prices closer together!! otherwise i can see myself heading back to the uk to earn sterling for a couple of years!

Originally Posted by aussie73
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:06 am
Forum Regular

I suppose what I am trying to say really is take a good look at your reasons for moving.

Do it for the adventure or experience, Dont get bogged down with the idea that you are doing it for your children. If you are struggling financially in the UK you will find it even harder here.

Yes its beautiful here, but its has as many social and economical problems as the UK,

Do it for the right reasons not on some misconception that Australia is perfect.

As they say "Same shit, shiner bucket" and for some no family.

Last edited by jwinch; Apr 1st 2005 at 12:14 am.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:10 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Are these Brisbane or Sunshine Coast wages? As far as I could tell the Sunny coast is a retirement and downshifting area rather than somewhere for careers. This adds a lot of economically inactive people to new areas.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by bondipom
Are these Brisbane or Sunshine Coast wages? As far as I could tell the Sunny coast is a retirement and downshifting area rather than somewhere for careers. This adds a lot of economically inactive people to new areas.

These are sunshine coast wages, recent surveys have stated that the majority of increase in population is due to baby boomers and immigrants looking for a better quality of life, not retirees.

Last edited by jwinch; Apr 1st 2005 at 12:15 am.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:26 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bondipom
The population spread for the 60+ group is:

16% Brisbane
17% QLD overall

The Sunshine coast area is:
30% Caloundra
29% Noosaville
23% Noosa Heads

Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:32 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

I've said in other threads what Mr GG and my reasons for moving here are - to live somewhere else for a while (probably not even forever), just because we can. We had our eyes open that moving here wasn't going to be a bed of roses, financially, emotionally or socially. We're not here for a better quality of life or to 'live the dream' (whatever that means). Although we only arrived in Sydney about 3 weeks ago, I fully expect to get a job that pays less and is of lower status than the one I was doing in the UK. As does Mr GG. I'm also fully prepared to have to work harder to get that lowly job; I have no illusions that I'll be able to walk into something immediately (as seems to be panning out).

But I have such expectations because of the research we did whilst still in the UK. And I don't just mean internet based research. Looking on seek.com.au isn't a great indicator of the work that, realistically, you can expect to undertake or the salary you can command. Hubbie and I both had a lot of late nights at home, staying up to phone recruitment agencies, rental agencies etc to speak to people who know an area and can tailor an answer to your situation or circumstance specific question. Australia has the same social problems and the same social benefits as the UK, but being an immigrant here will mean that you have a different perception of them. It's only through time spent living in a place that you come to understand it. But you can prepare yourself before you arrive.

Just my thoughts.

GG

I suppose what I am trying to say really is take a good look at your reasons for moving.

Do it for the adventure or experience, Dont get bogged down with the idea that you are doing it for your children. If you are struggling financially in the UK you will find it even harder here.

Yes its beautiful here, but its has as many social and economical problems as the UK,

Do it for the right reasons not on some misconception that Australia is perfect.

As they say "Same shit, shiner bucket" and for some no family.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:36 am
Badge

The best thing about living 50 mins from Melbourne is you can get to most jobs - eventually. Also we have that semi-rural 'paradise' lifestyle that people want, but we are not divorced from life in a beachy back water.

People have to really think about where they live.

Badge

Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:50 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Badge
The best thing about living 50 mins from Melbourne is you can get to most jobs - eventually. Also we have that semi-rural 'paradise' lifestyle that people want, but we are not divorced from life in a beachy back water.

People have to really think about where they live.

Badge

But how many people want to move here to spend two hours a day travelling, I am sure that is one of the many reasons people moan about there life in the UK
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:51 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

These are sunshine coast wages, recent surveys have stated that the majority of increase in population is due to baby boomers and immigrants looking for a better quality of life, not retirees.
Otherwise called downshifters. Sell the Sydney/Melbourne house and live off the excess money. Either that or to try and live mortgage free. I guess the dole bludgers have been priced out further north.

Whilst the influx happens it is great for builders and estate agents but unless industry and offices can be persuaded to move into these areas the outlook is grim for those wanting to stay and earn money. The only other option is to commute to Brisbane. Distance commuting is not normally in a downshifters plans.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:52 am
F.U.B.A.R

Homer will become famous soon enoughHomer will become famous soon enough

Well we cant we cant afford a house in the uk we have no kids i have a austalian passport, So what have we got to lose at least we will have sun sea and sand and the cost of renting in oz is cheaper than the uk in that you get more for your money in oz we have looked at that enough,It must be very hard when you have kid's to think of as well.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 12:55 am
Cup of tea, Father?

Geordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie George has a reputation beyond repute

Cost of renting cheaper?! I'm paying more rent in Sydney than I am in Oxford! And for a smaller place. Now that's saying something!

GG

Originally Posted by Homer
Well we cant we cant afford a house in the uk we have no kids i have a austalian passport, So what have we got to lose at least we will have sun sea and sand and the cost of renting in oz is cheaper than the uk in that you get more for your money in oz we have looked at that enough,It must be very hard when you have kid's to think of as well.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:02 am
Forum Regular

I think that many of the issues I have raised apply equally to the city areas as well as the beachy backwaters as someone put it. If anything the house prices get worse the closer the city you live.

Yes we've done the many hours of research and thought we new it all, but until you actually live here and in reality have to live on those low wages that you have just spent 50 hours working for its a different matter.

Yes we are staying, I do think the advantages of living in a beautiful area outweigh the disadvantages for us. Perhaps for me its all apart of the settling in process, going through various emotions. But I dont think people should be slated for expressing some realism in a lifestyle forum.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.