Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:20 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Mine were dooner instead of duvet and lollies instead of sweets (I still think lollies have to have sticks!!!)
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:29 am
ABCDiamond

Default Re: Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Originally Posted by Un-Co
I still think lollies have to have sticks!!!
So do I after 14 years !!

If my daughter asks for a lolly she gets one from the freezer !!

Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:37 am
High in the Dandenongs

hevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond reputehevs has a reputation beyond repute

Wog Hate it even thought is supposed to be "endering"
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:43 am
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hevs
Wog Hate it even thought is supposed to be "endering"
Rascism seems to have totally bypassed Australia, which is shocking, some of the things you hear people being called is a disgrace, even on the Radio "in the cricket today we beat the Pakis" jesus wept!!

On a lighter note

Clacker = Bottom (very strange)
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Actuallu Un-Co is a good one too. I'm highly clumsy and after I 'Stacked it' (I love that phrase ) a few times my other half called me 'Un-Co' which is pretty apt (for anyone as confused I was then it's an abbreiviation of Un-Coordinated!)
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:54 am
Happy mum of 2 Aussies

Wanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to beholdWanderlust is a splendid one to behold

My favourite is hearing on the radio and tv news about people getting 'bashed' (beaten up). I know getting a kicking isn't a nice thing, but it always makes me smile to hear it being called a 'bashing'.

W.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 12:59 am
Forum Regular

carojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the roughcarojey is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Un-Co
Mine were dooner instead of duvet and lollies instead of sweets (I still think lollies have to have sticks!!!)

Well I'd like to know why quilts and things are called 'Manchester' - I am very confused....!
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:03 am
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,

I'm still stuggling with Manchester (bed linen). And seeing my old man comes from Manchester, even more confusing...

Also, on my first working day in Oz, I was asked if I wanted to be in on 'morning tea'. Now, I don't like tea, and I thought the lady was offering me a cuppa, so I said: "No thanks". She looked shocked and horrified which I thought was odd until I realised that 'morning tea' was a 'food' event and I was supposed to chip in with a couple of bucks...
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:22 am
HUP
Brain Drained

HUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond reputeHUP has a reputation beyond repute

Darta - Data
Yo gurt - Yoghurt
Pro ject - Project
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:40 am
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by HUP
Darta - Data
Yo gurt - Yoghurt
Pro ject - Project
Spooky! Was going to post exactly the same three!

The thing is, just before a go to say them I realise they should be said differently, but just can't bring myself to say them 'Aussie style'

'Yoh! - gurt' has got to be the worst, but I don't really have to say it in public. Unfortunately the other two are pretty much unavoidable in my line of work.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Yeah Manhester is a very odd one. Works the other way though. My other half laughs his head off whenever I aks if he wants mange tout with dinner (Snow peas is another one I have trouble with!)
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

Gavin B is an unknown quantity at this point

VI-TAMIN!!!

Similar to the yo-ghurt one but equally hard to stomach...

there are many others.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 1:53 am
BE Forum Addict

And I have a very childish snigger whenever people talk about going to the bush.
Old Mar 31st 2005, 2:12 am

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Wanderlust
My favourite is hearing on the radio and tv news about people getting 'bashed' (beaten up). I know getting a kicking isn't a nice thing, but it always makes me smile to hear it being called a 'bashing'.

W.
Same for me, and have to include "Biff".
Reminds me of those old Batman episodes...
"Look out behind you Batman..." *>* BASH!! *<*
"I'll get him..." #^#BIFF!!!!#^#
Old Mar 31st 2005, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

Shellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of lightShellfish is a glorious beacon of light

Ashume instead of assume etc
Snitsil instead of shnitzel
I still reckon they took the 'h' from schnitzel and popped into ashume

there are loads but those tend to stick!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.