Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

I caught myself using the word 'Serv-o' the other day. So doesn't work with a British accent. Just embarrassing
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:19 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

I like "how ya going?"
It was one of the first Ausisms that I adopted.

I still have problems saying truck instead of lorry. No one knows what a lorry is. Think it might be some sort of candy???
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
I like "how ya going?"
It was one of the first Ausisms that I adopted.

I still have problems saying truck instead of lorry. No one knows what a lorry is. Think it might be some sort of candy???
With the obligatory answer 'It's all good mate'
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

young_lad is an unknown quantity at this point

Just like living in a foreign country, eh?

(Ian Rush, 1988)
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:47 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by carojey
Well I'd like to know why quilts and things are called 'Manchester' - I am very confused....!
Bacause of the Manchester Cotton Mills. It all came from manchester originally, and the name stuck.

Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:53 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Lerop Pekill
Rascism seems to have totally bypassed Australia, which is shocking, some of the things you hear people being called is a disgrace, even on the Radio "in the cricket today we beat the Pakis" jesus wept!!

On a lighter note

Clacker = Bottom (very strange)
Now let us see:

Kazakhs in Kazakhstan,
Uzbecks in Uzbeckistan,
Afghans in Afghanistan,
Pakis in Pakistan.

cloaca
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:54 pm

biggy is an unknown quantity at this point

(me-mo) insted of memo

route(pronounced rowt) insted of (root)

and the lollies
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:54 pm

gedge has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Bacause of the Manchester Cotton Mills. It all came from manchester originally, and the name stuck.
Not because people from Manchester are soft?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 2:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
You really are a fountain of information ABCDiamond!!! Noone else has been able to tell me that before and I've been here nearly 3 years!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:09 pm
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by biggy
(me-mo) insted of memo

route(pronounced rowt) insted of (root)

and the lollies
Been hob-knobbing with the Yankie soap-opera fans?
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

kath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura aboutkath n kim has a spectacular aura about

"Crook" (sick) and "chook" (chicken).
Beware of getting them mixed up and asking someone if they're feeling a little chook..............!!
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:12 pm
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by JulesandChris
Not because people from Manchester are soft?
Well maybe that too, I originally came from the Cotton Mill areas in the Manchester area

Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:13 pm
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Megalania
Now let us see:

Kazakhs in Kazakhstan,
Uzbecks in Uzbeckistan,
Afghans in Afghanistan,
Pakis in Pakistan.

cloaca
Opinions vary then.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:19 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Lerop Pekill
Opinions vary then.
There is no specific derogatory term for Pakis in Australia.
Old Mar 30th 2005, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

The question is can something be derogatory if it is meant with no malice...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.