Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:29 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all
Default Re: Which Ozzie words took you the longest to get use to?

Originally Posted by brisnick
apparently, it always used to be called 'manchester' in the uk too, many many years ago
ever been into those old Co-op's in the uk? I'm going back years ago when I was a child, this co-op shop where they had a Manchester department was in colchester ( where my gran used to live for a time) . The linen department was called that then in those co-op shops. Over twenty years ago.

I thought most British people knew where it came from, no secret

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 1st 2005 at 1:33 am.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:32 am
Drunken Aussie

brisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nicebrisnick is just really nice

i believe 'aborigine' is frowned upon too, and the correct term is 'aborignal'

Originally Posted by Ceri
I have an Italian friend ( born here in Aus to Italian parents), bloke who works with me - and he will tell you he absoultely hates the word Wog!. Actually try calling him a Wog and see what you will get . His words "stupid Aussie W*nkers can't they get anything right" ( and he is an Aussie, born and bred here but to two Italian parents) for a start a wog is a black man in Europe terms, it is only the aussies who can't get it straight. A lot of Greeks and Italians are actually offended by this word, not all of them here like it, or use it, like that stupid actor "Wog boy"

As for Paki - no it's not the same as Aussie. If Paki is acceptable here ( which it is to white Aussies - have they asked the Pakistanis if they find it accepatable to them?) to Australians why is Abo not?? - after all abo is a shortened term for Aborigine. like Paki is for Pakistani - one rule for some here another rule for others.

None of these terms I use - Paki is derogative, always has been, so is wog, so is Abo. Even on Cricket matches here in Aus the white Aussie commentators will use the term Paki. Perhaps they would like to ask the people in question and not other white Aussies. And for the Life of me I can not understand it is acceptable for them to shorten Pakistani when it isn't acceptable to shorten the Aborigine word in this country. One rule for one, another rule for others.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:33 am
I don't re Member

andrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond reputeandrew63 has a reputation beyond repute

"Fair dinkum" for me! I have no idea what that's all about! Fair dinkum! And it sounds ridiculous if you say it without an Aussie (sorry, Australian) accent

Andrew
Old Apr 1st 2005, 1:36 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

can't say I've ever been frowned upon using that term myself, and never heard of this being frowned upon here.
But you know what I mean it is not acceptable to shorten it - but yet they( white Aussies) shorten other ethnic peoples. Now that is what I do not understand One rule for one another rule for others.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:10 am
ABCDiamond

Now that is what I do not understand One rule for one another rule for others.
I agree. That's one of the problems, if it was just one rule it would be much easier.

But then we get back to the situation many others have said:
Brit for British
Aussie for Australian etc etc being acceptable shortened versions. So in theory, all shortened versions should be the same.

I personally would never use the "other" terms either, but can see where the problems can occur.

I blame Nick Giannopoulos for it all Before his interference, the term "wog" used to be an offensive term for describing southern Europeans, but now it's all confused !!

Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:16 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by andrew63
"Fair dinkum" for me! I have no idea what that's all about! Fair dinkum! And it sounds ridiculous if you say it without an Aussie (sorry, Australian) accent

Andrew
I heard something about this many years ago, and have just located some of the info I new was around somewhere.
The origin of "dinkum" actually lies in British dialect, where it meant "a day's allocation of work". "Your dinkum" was what you were required to get done so, naturally. a fair dinkum was a matter of some importance. The phrase "fair dinkum" existed in the Lincolnshire dialect.
and
Most dictionaries published outside Australia and New Zealand are unhelpful, just saying “origin unknown”. But it seems very possible that it comes from an old English dialect term, which is recorded principally in Joseph Wright’s English Dialect Dictionary of 1896-1905. He found several examples of dinkum in various parts of England in the sense of a fair or due share of work. He also encountered fair dinkum in Lincolnshire, used in the same way that people might exclaim fair dos! as a request for fair dealing

Old Apr 1st 2005, 2:18 am
NO 8 THE LEGEND

Lerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond reputeLerop Pekill has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ozzieeagle
Why are you so steadfast in importing racism into this country. I've been here 23 years or more, and choose to live in and enjoy the what is probably the most multi cultural part of Australia, This is the place to be if you miss europe, and where Pauline Hanson was given the biggest kick up the arse, with about .03 of the vote, I know exactly what I'm talking about, and if you care to look up the 'City of Moreland' you may find yourself educated about where and when racism does and doesn't exist.

The only excuse you have, and why I'm not giving you a real flame is you are obviously very new to this country.

OE i am not trying to import rascism, in my opinion it is already here, our opinions very obviously differ, i just find the way some people talk insulting, everyone is entitled to their own opinion.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 3:23 am
BE Forum Addict

Un-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond reputeUn-Co has a reputation beyond repute

Oooh what happened to my light hearted thread???
I really do think it's the intention behind words which is damaging rather than the words themselves but it's a matter of thoughtfulness too, if you think it'll cause (unwarranted ) offence don't say it! Simple really.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 4:07 am
Banned

Megalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant futureMegalania has a brilliant future

You won't always get that one right - and if you do, you'll have to capitalize it more often than not.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

vickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the roughvickymills is a jewel in the rough

yes I was told my baby would get morning tea and afternoon tea at daycare, I had no idea what it was. But I'm all for stopping for snacks so I quite like it.
I think its like hobbit eating here we seeem to have:breakie,moring tea,lunch, afternoon tea, tea, dinner, supper, thats 7 lots of eating in a day !!

Also dungarees are called "overalls", the lady at daycare had no idea what I was talking about when I said dungarees.

When I saw the "sale on manchester" on day one here, I really thought my jet lag was bad.

There is a funny work they use for baby sick too but I havent quick got that one yet, something like "pickie" or something
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by andrew63

Andrew
Fair dinkum, means, 'in all truthfulness' or 'as good as can be' depending on what one is talking about at the time, I guess my accent was as close as I will ever get to being Aussie, before I started to use the term, in It's correct form.
Old Apr 1st 2005, 11:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond reputeozzieeagle has a reputation beyond repute

I have an Italian friend ( born here in Aus to Italian parents), bloke who works with me - and he will tell you he absoultely hates the word Wog!. Actually try calling him a Wog and see what you will get . His words "stupid Aussie W*nkers can't they get anything right" ( and he is an Aussie, born and bred here but to two Italian parents) for a start a wog is a black man in Europe terms, it is only the aussies who can't get it straight. A lot of Greeks and Italians are actually offended by this word, not all of them here like it, or use it, like that stupid actor "Wog boy"

As for Paki - no it's not the same as Aussie. If Paki is acceptable here ( which it is to white Aussies - have they asked the Pakistanis if they find it accepatable to them?) to Australians why is Abo not?? - after all abo is a shortened term for Aborigine. like Paki is for Pakistani - one rule for some here another rule for others.

None of these terms I use - Paki is derogative, always has been, so is wog, so is Abo. Even on Cricket matches here in Aus the white Aussie commentators will use the term Paki. Perhaps they would like to ask the people in question and not other white Aussies. And for the Life of me I can not understand it is acceptable for them to shorten Pakistani when it isn't acceptable to shorten the Aborigine word in this country. One rule for one, another rule for others.
Personally speaking, I think your freind is very much in the Minority, Here in the home of what 'IS' the most Italian, part of Australia, Italians have been calling each other and other meditteranians 'Wogs' for years, and were doing so well before Nick G jumped on board. Where do you think he got the Idea Abcd In fact they do it with Pride, Hows that for reversing what at one time, in the 60's through to the early 80's a negative, Pretty damn good on their part I think.

Aboriginals or Kuri's, Yes Ceri, very true it is double standards, adapt to the idosyncrancies of this country is my advice

If I explain why, the double standard exists, we start to disturb some very murky and muddy water. (and edit lol, the poms will end up with the blame)

BTW, I thought Pakis, call each other Pakis in England, isn't that double standards ?

Last edited by ozzieeagle; Apr 1st 2005 at 11:23 am.