Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz rip off flight prices......and other stuff

Oz rip off flight prices......and other stuff

Old Apr 3rd 2010, 4:17 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Oz rip off flight prices......and other stuff

Originally Posted by AllGoode
Both locally and foreign owned brands (trademarks) registered in Australia are protected under Australian Law regardless of nationality of the owner.

In Australia, foreigners can not use trademarks they do not own and neither can Australians.
Who said anything about ripping off trademarks? Did I miss that post?

I was talking about protecting Aussie brands from foreign competing brands by making it difficult to set up shop here.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 4:30 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

Originally Posted by markbhx
Who said anything about ripping off trademarks? Did I miss that post?

I was talking about protecting Aussie brands from foreign competing brands by making it difficult to set up shop here.
Brand is a synonym of the word trademark. Brands don't set up shop, people and organizations do. Foreigners set up shop in Australia daily, the only restriction is that the obey Australian Law.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 4:54 am
BE Enthusiast

markbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura aboutmarkbhx has a spectacular aura about

Brand is a synonym of the word trademark. Brands don't set up shop, people and organizations do. Foreigners set up shop in Australia daily, the only restriction is that the obey Australian Law.
Jesus christ, didn't realise people can be so pedantic!!

So the only reason there are two big supermarkets in Australia is because no foreign supermarket can be bothered?? Yeah right. You might think Aldi did it, errr well no as they are appealing to a different market, i.e the lower end. While Costco are appealing to bulk purchases.
The aussie government block attempts by foreign companies to muscle in on markets that are dominated by aussie compaines to protect them. You don't see that in the media here but you do if you read overseas websites for the companies trying to muscle in here.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:06 am

Centurion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond reputeCenturion has a reputation beyond repute

If you loiter around a thread long enough you end up hearing the scratching of the punctuation and grammar police crawling through each post. It's quite frightening.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Centurion
If you loiter around a thread long enough you end up hearing the scratching of the punctuation and grammar police crawling through each post. It's quite frightening.
lol, I'm sure they will arrive at some point, I'm out of here!!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:45 am
Banned

AllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really niceAllGoode is just really nice

So the only reason there are two big supermarkets in Australia is because no foreign supermarket can be bothered?? Yeah right. You might think Aldi did it, errr well no as they are appealing to a different market, i.e the lower end. While Costco are appealing to bulk purchases.
The aussie government block attempts by foreign companies to muscle in on markets that are dominated by aussie compaines to protect them. You don't see that in the media here but you do if you read overseas websites for the companies trying to muscle in here.
You could try harder to write what you mean.

I'd say the reason no there are no majority owned British supermarkets (I'm guessing hard at what you might have meant) in Australia is because they figure they would not make a profit due to the high degree of competition from the established supermarkets.

You could make a better case were you to post links to said "overseas websites".
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:49 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

You could try harder to write what you mean.

I'd say the reason no there are no majority owned British supermarkets (I'm guessing hard at what you might have meant) in Australia is because they figure they would not make a profit due to the high degree of competition from the established supermarkets.

You could make a better case were you to post links to said "overseas websites".
Here's an example:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...251240/1/.html

...a 3 year old article, but the policy continues.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bcworld
Here's an example:

http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stori...251240/1/.html

...a 3 year old article, but the policy continues.
Look to me like several airlines fly between Sydney and Los Angeles:
Attached Thumbnails Oz rip off flight prices......and other stuff-los-angeles-airlines.jpg  
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 7:56 am
Forum Regular

Steve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to allSteve1977 is a name known to all

Most of those are codeshares.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 8:07 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Tesco, Walmart etc have the power to set up anywhere they want at any time. Nothing would stop them if they wanted to.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 8:11 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Er yes...and more would like to, but the Australian government says no.

For years people were ripped off flying across the Pacific...Qantas would effectively charge the same for the 24 hour return flight to LA as they did the 48 hour return trip to London.

Other airlines wanted to compete on the route, the government said no, not unless they're Australian (V Australia) or American. Consumer pays more, Qantas makes more profit.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 8:38 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bcworld
Er yes...and more would like to, but the Australian government says no.

For years people were ripped off flying across the Pacific...Qantas would effectively charge the same for the 24 hour return flight to LA as they did the 48 hour return trip to London.

Other airlines wanted to compete on the route, the government said no, not unless they're Australian (V Australia) or American. Consumer pays more, Qantas makes more profit.
Could it be that the governments of the home nations of these other (often government subsidized) airlines wanting to fly into Australia say no to Australian access to their airspace? Reciprocity?
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:08 am
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kporte
Tesco, Walmart etc have the power to set up anywhere they want at any time. Nothing would stop them if they wanted to.
Not true. The WA govt have blocked Aldi from setting up in WA.
Competition? Level playing field? Don't make me laugh !!
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 9:14 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BATS666
Not true. The WA govt have blocked Aldi from setting up in WA.
Competition? Level playing field? Don't make me laugh !!
'part of the game. they do it in the uk too. keep a competitor away for a year, big profits....
Old Apr 5th 2010, 10:34 am
Banned

Weebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of lightWeebie is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pomtastic
What you have to remember is that the Aussie public are a fairly docile and easily manipulated breed. The media here is a joke and goes unchallenged, you couldn't get away with this crap in the UK. Australians on the whole don't question or challenge what they are given or told. Also, the majority of Aussies I know believe that if they pay more for a service or product then it must be superior and worth the extra money, it's a completely different mindset to the UK.
Maybe its because they are less stingy with there money