Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz property boom deflating

Wikiposts

Oz property boom deflating

Old Mar 7th 2004, 10:23 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

Interesting reading ABC. By the way, is that you in the avatar piccie?
Old Mar 7th 2004, 10:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by bondipom
Thats a big market. Would you include Ipswich and other areas away from the coast?
Bondi, current prices in Ipswich, based on 3 bed houses, start at about $140,000, with the cheapest rental I can see being $155 per week.

In my area, nearer the water, the cheapest I can find is $225,000 with the cheapest rental being $ 210pw

Looking at that, i think that Ipswich still has room to move up.

Debsy, Yes, but, many years ago
When I was young and good looking
I think i had better change the avatar again, get back to my anonimity

Old Mar 7th 2004, 10:34 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

ABC - dont worry it is so small you can hardly see it
Old Mar 7th 2004, 10:35 am
WBB

Originally posted by debsy
ABC - dont worry it is so small you can hardly see it
i bet this is not the first time he has heard that.

Old Mar 7th 2004, 10:42 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by WBB
i bet this is not the first time he has heard that.
"No Comment"

Old Mar 7th 2004, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

:scared:
Old Mar 7th 2004, 7:05 pm
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

I spoke to an agent from Raine & Horne at Wynnum today who confirmed that the market in this area had cooled off since xmas & properties werent being sold anywhere near as quickly as that have been up until xmas. Average time on the market now for newly listed properties he says is about 6-8 weeks, unlike last year where most properties sold within a week or so of going on the market (personal experience - we sold 2 properties in June & Oct last year, both full asking price within 24 hrs). He said prices havent dropped, but enquiries have fallen dramatically & vendors who are keen to sell are now considering offers below the asking price whereas they wouldnt have done 6 months ago.

He says he has had more enquiries on properties in the last 2 weeks than he has in the whole time since xmas. His opinion is that the market will pick up again in the next few weeks & continue to climb steadily again. Perhaps hes just talking through his hat trying to get me to buy the property I was looking at today LOL, but I dont think so, I tend to agree that it will probably pick back up heading towards the middle of the year (as much as Im hoping for a huge crash, I dont think its gonna happen).

BTW, I am talking about the Wynnum/Manly area, I think some parts of Brisbane will probably not go up too much further, the lower priced areas in particular ie. I dont think Ipswich will make any huge increases, IMO what increases there are in the next couple of years will be much smaller than the expected 30%.

Cant even comment on the rest of Oz, Im certainly no expert