Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz property boom deflating

Wikiposts

Oz property boom deflating

Old Mar 6th 2004, 12:08 pm

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

OMG Dotty and Mrs DB who would have known it.

Can I drag it down further?
Old Mar 6th 2004, 12:12 pm
Next stop Gold coast

plumber is an unknown quantity at this point

Let's all take our marley's back and start afresh tomorrow!
Old Mar 6th 2004, 8:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Oz property boom deflating

Originally posted by Grayling
You will be taxed on any income,from whatever source ,including interest on savings unless they are in ISAs etc. and there is an annual limit on them.

G
If you are tax resident in Oz you will be taxed in OZ on your ISA's as the OZ taxman dosn't recognise it's tax free status in the UK.
Only way to avoid it is not to declare it and that is tax evasion.
Old Mar 6th 2004, 9:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

[QUOTE]Originally posted by maxpaxx
Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Don't quite understand how you can be a non taxpayer unless your income is below the tax free allowance.

LOL..because I don't work! I am a housewife so we put the savings in my name and don't pay tax on it? Isn't that what everyone does in the UK? (sorry I forgot this is just called 'British Ex Pats' - a title that seems to mean very little)

Sorry to have bothered you with my 'silly' question.

I wil go and 'CHECK' myself.

HAVE A NICE DAY!
I don't quite understand WHY you are upset with me. I answered your question to the best of my knowledge, but as I'm no tax expert don't rely on what I say as gospel (I could be wrong but I don't believe I am).

Now I understand your situation the tax system here is even simpler as you recieve interest free of any tax, you just have to declare it on you tax return each year and if it is below $6,000 you will pay no tax.

If I had thought your question was silly (your words) I wouldn't have bothered with a reply in the first place.

Oh and yes I'm as BRITISH as you but that is irrevelent to the answer I gave.

Last edited by Kiwipaul; Mar 6th 2004 at 9:29 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2004, 9:16 pm
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
If you are tax resident in Oz you will be taxed in OZ on your ISA's as the OZ taxman dosn't recognise it's tax free status in the UK.
Only way to avoid it is not to declare it and that is tax evasion.
Hi
I am aware of that.I was referring to paying tax in the UK whilst living in the UK.
You are still taxed on savings interest in the UK whether you work or not except for Tax free schemes such as Isas.
My point was about being a non tax payer in the UK just because you do not work.Unless you are below your tax allowance.

G
Old Mar 6th 2004, 9:27 pm

maxpaxx is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by MrsDagboy
And thanx for your post too. I was simply asking what you were going off at because I didnt see anything wrong in KPs posting the rules about tax free allowances. He did suggest that you check the information yourself, but he also gave you the information that he thought was correct, after simply stating that he wasnt sure what you meant by being a non-taxpayer (which I have to admit, I had no clue what you meant either, what you said wasnt clear).

And then you start on about it being a British expats site, which I can only assume you mean that only British people should post here? Having a go at the poster because his name is kiwipaul? Unless Im very much mistaken, "kiwi"paul is a british expats who lived in NZ for a while before he came to Oz. Or perhaps thats not what you meant at all. I just dont see why you would feel the need to have a go at someone who was trying to help, even if you took it the wrong way. I didnt see any nastiness in his post, only in yours back to him.

But then Im an aussie posting on this site, maybe I shouldn't bother

I am certainly not a racist and far from it - you have ovbiously made a decision on your opinion of me and it is wrong.

With regards to my comment about the site being entitled British ex-pat I was refering to the point of view from a British tax situation, and if have ever read any of my threads you would know that I am the last person on this site who would say it's for British people only.

In addition when someone says 'CHECK' in capital letters I would personally take that as a slight - maybye I am being over sensistive but can't see why you care?

..right enough said

Old Mar 7th 2004, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

sjn2003 is on a distinguished road

So have we decided whether the Oz property is deflating or not ??

Wish I had never started this damn thread !!!!!!!!
Old Mar 7th 2004, 12:35 am
The Godfather

Bordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to beholdBordy is a splendid one to behold

LMAO, I'd say its deflated a little due to a couple of interest rate hikes but theres worse places to live I'm sure.
Old Mar 7th 2004, 12:58 am
Rocket Scientist

Location: Dreamland AKA Brisbane which is a different country to the UK
MrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond reputeMrsDagboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by sjn2003

LOL! I dont think its deflated, but I do think its started to slow down .
Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:54 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by sjn2003

LOL

One problem is that OZ is such a big and diverse place.

Ask someone with an apartment in Melbourne, and your answer will almost certainly be "Yes, prices have dropped"

Ask someone with a house up here in Brisbane, and the answer is more likely to be,"Prices havent dropped but are not going up anywhere near as fast as they did last year".

And then there are places in between, where prices may have stabilised, not up, nor down.

And of course there will be places that will be exceptions to ALL the rules

Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:57 am

This just shows the variation in the Sydney market.

http://www.dijones.com.au/Buying/Market/Hotspots.html
Old Mar 7th 2004, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

debsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to alldebsy is a name known to all

ABC - do you think that prices will rise much more durimg the next six months in Qld (especially Gold Coast)?
Old Mar 7th 2004, 10:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Vicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond reputeVicky88 has a reputation beyond repute

I'll agree that it has slowed in many places. I don't think this is a situation where one size fits all. The actual location is going to dictate the situation as so much of what is happening is localised. I would be betting on SE Qld continuing to rise/
Old Mar 7th 2004, 10:05 am

Originally posted by Vicky88
I'll agree that it has slowed in many places. I don't think this is a situation where one size fits all. The actual location is going to dictate the situation as so much of what is happening is localised. I would be betting on SE Qld continuing to rise/
Thats a big market. Would you include Ipswich and other areas away from the coast?
Old Mar 7th 2004, 10:14 am
ABCDiamond

Originally posted by debsy
ABC - do you think that prices will rise much more durimg the next six months in Qld (especially Gold Coast)?
Almost everyone reckons that SE QLD will keep rising over the next 3 years. The figures that are being quoted are in the region of 30% over a 3 year period, thats about 9% per year compounding.

Obviously there will be variations, some areas will go up more than others. Most commonly, waterfront properties go up faster than other areas. However, with property prices so high in this country, in comparison to a few years ago, there will be pressure on the lower priced property, as it is needed by the first time buyers. It is also still very popular with investors. Therefore the laws of supply and demand come into effect.

My own way of thinking is:

If more jobs become available in SE QLD, then more people will move up here from down south, sell up their 3 bed small house in Western Sydney, and buy something bigger and better closer to the water up here.

The SE QLD locals, may also consider selling the properties that they have owned for some years, and which have doubled in value in the last few years, and move a bit further north.

These are my personal opinions, and not to be taken as guarantees of what will happen

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.