Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:34 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
That's two lanes each way, what if it looked like this though.... with just one lane each way.

http://www.abcdiamond.com/home/t.jpg
The cars in the diagram are massive! Over 20m long!

Last edited by Lord_Farquar; Feb 6th 2010 at 5:50 am.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

That's two lanes each way, what if it looked like this though.... with just one lane each way.

http://www.abcdiamond.com/home/t.jpg
Is this a home made image? There are tell tale signs of removed ticks on the 'illegally parked' cars?
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:46 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kporte
You love it really.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:51 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Is this a home made image? There are tell tale signs of removed ticks on the 'illegally parked' cars?
Not bad though is it.... copied original image, shrunk the width of the road from 4 lanes to two lanes, uploaded to my server, and posted back on here, all within 8 minutes

Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:55 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Not bad though is it.... copied original image, shrunk the width of the road from 4 lanes to two lanes, uploaded to my server, and posted back on here, all within 8 minutes

But there's no mention in the road rules of the number of lanes...and there weren't 4 lanes on the original undoctored road.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Well clearly not here in Victoria, and clearly Aussies do think it's OK to park there:

http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/re...ersection3.pdf

Road Rules – Victoria 1999
Road Rule 170 (3)

A driver must not stop on a road within 10 metres from the nearest point of an intersecting road at an intersection without traffic lights, unless the driver stops–
(b)if the intersection is a T-intersection – along the continuous side of the
continuing road at the intersection

...note the ticks on the cars parked opposite the junction. Parked there by Brits no doubt!
If the roads are wide enough and it doesn't cause an obstruction then it's fine and looks like it's the case over there in Oz and is legislated for accordingly.

In the UK it's not ok and the roads are not wide enough (single lane) and people park opposite junctions here.

UK Highway code

Rule 242

You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

[Laws RTA 1988, sect 22 & CUR reg 103]

Rule 243

DO NOT stop or park
  • opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069860

Not many Australians here in Fetcham, Surrey.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 6:54 am
Frequent Flyer Member

Originally Posted by Alfresco
If the roads are wide enough and it doesn't cause an obstruction then it's fine and looks like it's the case over there in Oz and is legislated for accordingly.

How VERY predictable!

Too bad for the kids who live in the narrow streets around my area then eh.

That t-intersection in your photo is on a far wider road than the many around here.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:00 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alfresco

In the UK it's not ok and the roads are not wide enough (single lane) and people park opposite junctions here.

UK Highway code

Rule 242

You MUST NOT leave your vehicle or trailer in a dangerous position or where it causes any unnecessary obstruction of the road.

[Laws RTA 1988, sect 22 & CUR reg 103]

Rule 243

DO NOT stop or park
  • opposite or within 10 metres (32 feet) of a junction, except in an authorised parking space
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAn...code/DG_069860

Not many Australians here in Fetcham, Surrey.
I am with Kporte. This much worse than house prices or military hardware.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:03 am
Account Closed

MartinLuther is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
I am with Kporte. This much worse than house prices or military hardware.
Who started complaining about it?
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:11 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Who started complaining about it?
I've created a monster! I should know better by know.

I am going to move my car and park less than 10m from a junction, if possible I will try and run over a stroller, and then a child that has 'fallen off the pavement'.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:13 am
Account Closed

I've created a monster! I should know better by know.

I am going to move my car and park less than 10m from a junction, if possible I will try and run over a stroller, and then a child that has 'fallen off the pavement'.
Does it have a flat head and a bolt in its neck? The monster rather than the child.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MartinLuther
Does it have a flat head and a bolt in its neck? The monster rather than the child.
No, but it does like to post extracts from legislation.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 7:18 am
BE Forum Addict

livinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond reputelivinginreality has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rekkymech
One of my biggest issues with the UK is the state of the American blame and claim culture that has ruined many of our once great institutions, one of them being our lack of being able to discipline our kids for bad behaviour and the knock on effect this has had in schools, teachers are so afraid of reprisals for the merest hint of a telling off, never mind clipping em round the ear or getting a slipper in front of the whole school like when i was at primary.

At least in Oz the kids wouldn't be kept inside for two weeks because the snowy playground is a "Health and safety" risk lol.
No they're just kept in for 2+ weeks because its too damn hot to go outside!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:22 am
Account Closed

Anyhoo, back to the thread. I find Aus less of a nanny state than the UK. I have fewer restrictions on my life here. Not that I'm terribly affected by restrictions as they don't seem to affect what I would be doing anyway.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

No, but it does like to post extracts from legislation.
At least it has read legislation. See below.

Well clearly not here in Victoria, and clearly Aussies do think it's OK to park there:

http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/re...ersection3.pdf

Road Rules – Victoria 1999
Road Rule 170 (3)

A driver must not stop on a road within 10 metres from the nearest point of an intersecting road at an intersection without traffic lights, unless the driver stops–
(b)if the intersection is a T-intersection – along the continuous side of the
continuing road at the intersection

...note the ticks on the cars parked opposite the junction. Parked there by Brits no doubt!

How VERY predictable!

Too bad for the kids who live in the narrow streets around my area then eh.

That t-intersection in your photo is on a far wider road than the many around here.
You can't actually predict something after it has happened.

Yes the roads look very narrow and congested in St Kilda, Melbourne on Google Earth. No parking spaces either, on the left or right. Don't know how you cope.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.