Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:03 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Oz-Is it a nanny state?

Originally Posted by Alfresco
Good.

Because it's just as dangerous - little kids etc...

It drives me nuts here in the UK. People even park opposite a T junction.

Appologies those who have seen this before.

Notice how people don't care where they park or what they obstruct here. This is in my area and bad parking is not punished - ever!
Kids shouldn't play in the road anyway.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord_Farquar
No they shouldn't but they get pushed around in strollers and can accidentally walk off the pavement.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:10 am
Banned

Lord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond reputeLord_Farquar has a reputation beyond repute

No they shouldn't but they get pushed around in strollers and can accidentally walk off the pavement.
Well look after them better.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:10 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

It drives me nuts here in the UK. People even park opposite a T junction.

Notice how people don't care where they park or what they obstruct here.
In places where parking is tight it's exactly the same here.

And parking on the continuous side of the road opposite a T junction is specifically allowed.

In the photo below the MX5 has been booked...meanwhile for some reason they never book people parked where the black Holden is...even closer to the intersection. This is a t-junction and there are always cars parked opposite it.

As for the 10m thing...sure fair enough, but at least provide markings to indicate where the 10m ends...are people supposed to take their tape measures along with them? 9.5m from the intersection is a long way...and I reckon you wouldn't get a ticket for it....so there is something very arbitrary about the whole thing.
Attached Thumbnails Oz-Is it a nanny state?-img_0310.jpg  
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Alfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond reputeAlfresco has a reputation beyond repute

Well look after them better.

My kids are fine. It's the Brits that have that mentality and need to look after them better.

I saw a mother the other day pusing a stoller and pressed the button on pedestrian crossing while looking and tallking to a friend or her mother. As soon as it started to beep she pushed the stroller onto the road without even looking to see if the traffic had stopped.

I was stopped at the lights and I stared in disbelief.

Edit I'm not sure I get your point. I am on the some side as you about kids.

Parking within 10m or opposite a junction is a hazard. In most countries it is illegal including the UK. I don't undertsand why the Brits think it's ok to park there (because there's nowhere else to park mentality).

Last edited by Alfresco; Feb 6th 2010 at 4:22 am.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:22 am
Banned

My kids are fine. It's the Brits that have that mentality and need to look after them better.

I saw a mother the other day pusing a stoller and pressed the button on pedestrian crossing while looking and tallking to a friend or her mother. As soon as it started to beep she pushed the stroller onto the road without even looking to see if the traffic had stopped.

I was stopped at the lights and I stared in disbelief.
How obsurd a women crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing when the light was on green. The country's gone to the dogs.

Also, us "Brits" take a dim view of drivers killing pedestrians at crossings.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

How obsurd a women crossing the road at a pedestrian crossing when the light was on green. The country's gone to the dogs.

Also, us "Brits" take a dim view of drivers killing pedestrians at crossings.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

quoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond reputequoll has a reputation beyond repute

Nanny is alive and well in Canberra including the most irritating loop recording of a woman telling you not to walk on the travelators, to stand clear of the yellow line and hold on to the handrail (in the Canberra Centre). You can usually hear the message about half a dozen times (if you stand still and hold the handrail etc) per floor. I tend to be homicidal by the time I arrive if I have to listen for a 2 floor travel!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 4:43 am
Banned

Well stop being so melodramatic.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:12 am
ABCDiamond

Maybe they should make a law for that, but some people might then say it's more nanny state stuff !

Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:15 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ABCDiamond
Maybe they should make a law for that, but some people might then say it's more nanny state stuff !
People should need a licence for kids.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:16 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

People should need a licence for kids.
And adult goats too. They chew everything.
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:19 am
Frequent Flyer Member

bcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond reputebcworld has a reputation beyond repute

Parking within 10m or opposite a junction is a hazard. In most countries it is illegal including the UK. I don't undertsand why the Brits think it's ok to park there (because there's nowhere else to park mentality).
Well clearly not here in Victoria, and clearly Aussies do think it's OK to park there:

http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/re...ersection3.pdf

Road Rules – Victoria 1999
Road Rule 170 (3)

A driver must not stop on a road within 10 metres from the nearest point of an intersecting road at an intersection without traffic lights, unless the driver stops–
(b)if the intersection is a T-intersection – along the continuous side of the
continuing road at the intersection

...note the ticks on the cars parked opposite the junction. Parked there by Brits no doubt!
Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:27 am
ABCDiamond

Originally Posted by bcworld
Well clearly not here in Victoria, and clearly Aussies do think it's OK to park there:

http://www.stonnington.vic.gov.au/re...ersection3.pdf

Road Rules – Victoria 1999
Road Rule 170 (3)

A driver must not stop on a road within 10 metres from the nearest point of an intersecting road at an intersection without traffic lights, unless the driver stops–
(b)if the intersection is a T-intersection – along the continuous side of the
continuing road at the intersection

...note the ticks on the cars parked opposite the junction. Parked there by Brits no doubt!
That's two lanes each way, what if it looked like this though.... with just one lane each way.

Old Feb 6th 2010, 5:32 am
Account Closed

kporte is an unknown quantity at this point

Sweet lord take me now!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.