Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Options for most painless trip back to UK, flight/stopover-wise??

Options for most painless trip back to UK, flight/stopover-wise??

Old Dec 13th 2012, 5:20 am
BE Enthusiast

Hino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond reputeHino has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which is best airline to fly back to the UK?

Originally Posted by bcworld
The airline is run by a megalomaniac!

Depending on what you believe cabin crew could lose their jobs over a single customer complaint. Some also suggest that pilots will be fearful of carrying out routine operations such as a go around on landing for fear of disciplinary action. But that could all just be rumour.
So far it's only a 'rumour' but I suppose that if you had some sort of link to support your statement we could easily convert it to a fact

Cabin crews at risk of losing their jobs through poor service might well improve the level of service on several airline I could mention
Old Dec 13th 2012, 8:02 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

The airline is run by a megalomaniac!

Depending on what you believe cabin crew could lose their jobs over a single customer complaint. Some also suggest that pilots will be fearful of carrying out routine operations such as a go around on landing for fear of disciplinary action. But that could all just be rumour.
I've heard similar from friends in the airline industry. Not an airline with a good reputation amongst either cabin or flight crew.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 12:46 am
Wol
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond reputeWol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Options for most painless trip back to UK, flight/stopover-wise??

The OP might consider travelling via Tokyo: the flight time is only marginally longer than via SIN or BKK and there are masses of airport hotels within minutes of Narita.

The A380 is OK but I still prefer the 747 for several reasons.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 2:09 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Beoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond reputeBeoz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wol
The OP might consider travelling via Tokyo: the flight time is only marginally longer than via SIN or BKK and there are masses of airport hotels within minutes of Narita.

The A380 is OK but I still prefer the 747 for several reasons.
I heard someone say they don't like the silence of the A380 and the drone of the engine noise of the old 747's is quite comforting. Can't say I agree
Old Dec 14th 2012, 5:37 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Some also suggest that pilots will be fearful of carrying out routine operations such as a go around on landing for fear of disciplinary action. But that could all just be rumour.
There are a number of airlines that have rules to basically allow the computer to fly the aircraft most of the time (inc landing). The reason is the computer is more economical in flight, and more economical in tires etc. on the landing. The rules come about because pilots don't like just sitting there all the time (feeding the dog) and tend to get involved more than makes sense.

Remember the blow up autopilot in Airplane? That's kind of what the airlines would like, something that's only there in emergencies and to distract the passengers from recognising that its an automated tin box.
Old Dec 14th 2012, 10:26 am
BE Forum Addict

RedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond reputeRedDragon2008 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beoz
I heard someone say they don't like the silence of the A380 and the drone of the engine noise of the old 747's is quite comforting. Can't say I agree
All I can say is it becomes quite discomforting when the engine noise stops
Old Jan 12th 2013, 11:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of

Hey guys

Am back from my trip to the UK!

10/10 for Emirates, all good. Highly recommend.

Advice: defo join the 'Skywards' club (free), gets you thru on the phone quickly, not sure how valuable points are though. Plus then you can then choose your seat, this was very important for me.

Dur me! I missed my flight back (with all the family drama got the day wrong), looked up flight and it was gona cost another 1,133 pounds . However, luckily they only charged me 194 pounds as a no show fee and I booked the exact same flight the next day PHEW ME!!! I'm telling my husband today as a xmas surprise, as we are having our belated crimbo today.

I was picked out for sniffer dogged at Brissie on my return, and declared and bought back 8 x packs of dry roasted peanuts, 20 small bags of skips, square crisps, wotsits + cheese straws. Yum, as they dont do these over here. 30kgs allowance is quite generous. Plus I took presents out with me so had extra room on my return.

I found food, booze and make-up (in particular) v cheap in the UK, + cards, I bought a heap in the sale extra cheap.

All in all a good trip, but sooooooooooooooooooooooooooo glad to be 'HOME"!!!