Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

Options for most painless trip back to UK, flight/stopover-wise??

Options for most painless trip back to UK, flight/stopover-wise??

Old Oct 1st 2012, 3:07 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default Options for most painless trip back to UK, flight/stopover-wise??

Hi Guys

The time has come after 6 years that I have to go back to the UK to see the folks. I have managed to put it off this long. Mum is too old to come over here now, so Ive gota go and see her.

Not looking forward to the flight.

I am looking for ideas for the least stress / more comfortable stop-over options.

Obviously I cant afford first class, lol.

Is it better to get the short leg out the way first, get off to change flights, then start 2nd long leg, take a sleeping tablet and sleep the rest. What stopovers could be best? Or any other ideas for painless long hawl travel? (If there is such a thing

Old Oct 1st 2012, 3:12 am
BE Enthusiast

jacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud ofjacknscoob has much to be proud of
Default Re: Options for most painless trip back to UK, flight/stopover-wise??

I have just been having a look, in people's opinions would it be better on the way out to go

Brisbane > Melbourne / Sydney

Sydney > London

OR go via Hong Kong

I suppose I could starve myself of sleep for a few days right up until I go then take a sleeper and pray for sleep for the rest???
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:20 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jacknscoob
I have just been having a look, in people's opinions would it be better on the way out to go

Brisbane > Melbourne / Sydney

Sydney > London

OR go via Hong Kong

I suppose I could starve myself of sleep for a few days right up until I go then take a sleeper and pray for sleep for the rest???
Why would you go domestic first? If you trying to make it painless I'd cut out that leg and fly straight out of Brisbane.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:51 am
BE Enthusiast

quercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of lightquercus is a glorious beacon of light

Emirates fly from Brisbane, excellent service, good value, don't need to sleep, just doze between movies and catch up on all those films you missed.

Take an arnica 30 for the circulation. Where are you going in the UK? Emirates fly into Birmingham now which is far better than the dreaded Heathrow.

Penny
Old Oct 1st 2012, 4:57 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Why would you go domestic first? If you trying to make it painless I'd cut out that leg and fly straight out of Brisbane.
It appears that quite a few airlines route you into Sydney, then via their usual routes to the UK.

To the op, a few tips:
  1. Try and get flights such that most of the flight is in the middle of the 'night' - so you might get some sleep. If you are careful, you can make both legs night flights (see 3)
  2. Get an airline with seats and seat pitch that are reasonable (www.seatguru.com)
  3. A ten hour stopover, and an airside hotel, means you can actually get some real sleep during the journey (I know in Malaysia and Singapore you can do this). Bags sit on the tarmac.
  4. Online checkin and seat selection help to ensure you are away from the screaming kids, and don't have to wait in line to 'checkin'.
  5. Emirates gives you 30kg, so you can bring stuff back with you.
  6. Many cheap flights go via China nowadays, but these aircraft stink (as do A340 and A320s).
  7. You pay more return OZ>UK, than you do UK>OZ - because they are thieving *****.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:20 am
Home and Happy

Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GarryP
It appears that quite a few airlines route you into Sydney, then via their usual routes to the UK.

To the op, a few tips:
  1. Try and get flights such that most of the flight is in the middle of the 'night' - so you might get some sleep. If you are careful, you can make both legs night flights (see 3)
  2. Get an airline with seats and seat pitch that are reasonable (www.seatguru.com)
  3. A ten hour stopover, and an airside hotel, means you can actually get some real sleep during the journey (I know in Malaysia and Singapore you can do this). Bags sit on the tarmac.
  4. Online checkin and seat selection help to ensure you are away from the screaming kids, and don't have to wait in line to 'checkin'.
  5. Emirates gives you 30kg, so you can bring stuff back with you.
  6. Many cheap flights go via China nowadays, but these aircraft stink (as do A340 and A320s).
  7. You pay more return OZ>UK, than you do UK>OZ - because they are thieving *****.
I know, I've flown out that way myself, but I love flying and airports. If I didn't - and from the sound of the OPs post they don't - then I would try and avoid the domestic first leg. Its a pain having to do the change from domestic to international in Sydney, its a pain checking in at Brisbane for a domestic flight - international is much easier and calmer, and it just makes the whole trip longer. Each to their own and if there is a preference for an airline that only flies from MEL or SYD then fair enough, but for someone who wants the whole experience over asap, go direct from Brisbane.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:36 am
Forum Regular

monkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud ofmonkeyalan has much to be proud of

brisbane - singapore - dubai - london then the same on the way back but in reverse obviously.
I'm never doing that 14 hour leg again.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 6:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
I know, I've flown out that way myself, but I love flying and airports. If I didn't - and from the sound of the OPs post they don't - then I would try and avoid the domestic first leg. Its a pain having to do the change from domestic to international in Sydney, its a pain checking in at Brisbane for a domestic flight - international is much easier and calmer, and it just makes the whole trip longer. Each to their own and if there is a preference for an airline that only flies from MEL or SYD then fair enough, but for someone who wants the whole experience over asap, go direct from Brisbane.
I agree - I like flying - as it gives me the chance to have a snooze (without pesky kids) or read the huge book I have bought for the purpose.

So non-stop all the way is my preference, doing the domestic bit first - or shortest hop first (if required), to get it out the way. Then all that is required is a wash and shave in the bogs and you can walk off the plane into the bosum of the family...etc..
Old Oct 1st 2012, 9:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

jad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond reputejad n rich has a reputation beyond repute

I try to get a economy flight to singapore, then qantas premium to London, their premium is very good but expensive, luckily we usually have points for that bit.

My main tip for a sane flight is to pick your seat, I have seats I am happier in, my fave in premium economy is very private, and I will do anything to get it

If you have to go economy, look at the asian airlines eg, bris to Taipei then onto london is a couple of hours less flight time and they used to chuck in a hotel one way.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 10:24 am
BE Enthusiast

Wow Guys thanks for all the advice.

Well, Brissie direct to Heathrow would defo be my pref, didnt know they did it. Yes, get it over with!

I can imagine that it would cost more? I had a look on the Emirates site and there was no option (I could see) for direct flights only. Do any other airlines do direct from Brissie? I can easily research that thou.

You pay more return OZ>UK, than you do UK>OZ - because they are thieving *****.

Do you think it would be wise and cheaper to book two separate one-way flights?

Cheers
Old Oct 1st 2012, 10:27 am
Bitter and twisted

Grayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond reputeGrayling has a reputation beyond repute

Well, Brissie direct to Heathrow would defo be my pref, didnt know they did it. Yes, get it over with!

I can imagine that it would cost more? I had a look on the Emirates site and there was no option (I could see) for direct flights only. Do any other airlines do direct from Brissie? I can easily research that thou.

Cheers
No airlines go direct to UK.... They all stop over somewhere.

Nearly all the major airlines will take you from Brisbane to Heathrow.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Chortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of lightChortlepuss is a glorious beacon of light

When I went back to the UK last year, I chose my flight (Brisbane to London) carefully with Singapore - booked one with a long stopover at Singapore. Flew through the day to Singapore. Booked into the Singapore airport hotel overnight. Flew through the next day Singapore to London. Landed tea time. Went to bed - No jet lag! did the same in reverse. It takes up more time than flying direct, but much more civilised if you can't afford bus class
Old Oct 1st 2012, 10:52 am
snɐןɔ ʎʇıuɐs

GarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond reputeGarryP has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers
Nope, because those are cons too.

Some people have been known to take a cheap jetstarish flight to SE Asia, then have a separate onwards flight booked from there to London. However for one flight its probably not worth it.

Try www.kayak.co.uk and look at the prices/options of flights Brisbane<>London for when you want to go. It will also show you how much you are getting ripped off. If its not London then there are flights that end up in other parts of the country. Also look at how the prices are varying during that month.
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

BadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond reputeBadgeIsBack has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Grayling
No airlines go direct to UK.... They all stop over somewhere.

Nearly all the major airlines will take you from Brisbane to Heathrow.
Yup.

To be honest, I couldn't give a monkeys - I live in the 'real world' where I pay a price, and get a seat on an airline that pretty much meets my requirements which is to get there, as soon as possible, via the route available.
We used NZ for a while, as we preferred to change in Auckland, get it over early, than in LA - but then have to suffer on the return leg...

Next we will use Qantas. I don't wring my hands over airline attendants, seat widths, and service, although I permit myself to be intrigued by going on a A380...(in much the same way people were excited to use the 747 when it first debuted).
Old Oct 1st 2012, 11:46 am
Home and Happy

Cheers
Singapore Airlines, Qantas/BA, Emirates, and JAL all fly to the UK from Brisbane; I'm sure there are others too.
Have a look at http://www.zuji.com.au/

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.