Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia
Reload this Page >

NZ - the good and the bad

Wikiposts

NZ - the good and the bad

Old Aug 22nd 2003, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

TIZUS is an unknown quantity at this point

Just got back from a very late lunch in Mapua at The Smoke house, realy peacefull setting and wondeful views, if I knew how to attach photos I would!

Spent the entire day looking at open homes, same again tomorrow however already fallen in love with at least two properties!!

Tori
Old Aug 22nd 2003, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Bladesman is an unknown quantity at this point

Hamiltonnz,

Having come from the south east of the uk the traffic problems in Auckland that you speak of are (not meaning to sound disrespectful) laughable. Last year a 9 mile (around 15K) journey took me 6 hours in the UK. The longest journey to work that I have had so far doing the same distance has been around 30 mins in Auckland. I dont have to go into central Auckland, but then I did not have to go into central London neither. I agree with Kiwipaul, it may be bad in Auckland in respect to other parts of NZ, but compare it to other parts of the world and it is still very good. People here do moan about the traffic, but it is not that bad honestly. The driving standards, that is another matter.......
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 10:22 am

bondipom is an unknown quantity at this point

Aussies can't drive either.
Old Aug 23rd 2003, 12:11 pm
farmer nr Queenstown NZ

deedee is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by Bladesman
Hamiltonnz,

Having come from the south east of the uk the traffic problems in Auckland that you speak of are (not meaning to sound disrespectful) laughable. Last year a 9 mile (around 15K) journey took me 6 hours in the UK. The longest journey to work that I have had so far doing the same distance has been around 30 mins in Auckland. I dont have to go into central Auckland, but then I did not have to go into central London neither. I agree with Kiwipaul, it may be bad in Auckland in respect to other parts of NZ, but compare it to other parts of the world and it is still very good. People here do moan about the traffic, but it is not that bad honestly. The driving standards, that is another matter.......
could'nt agree more,having lived in the south east of England and commuted to Midlands and London our experience of Aucklands traffic problems were taken with a smug grin.I worked out how long i'd sat in traffic in the UK once,and for the 15 odd thousand miles i did that year i remember my average speed was something like 28mph.
We drove to Invercargill the other day,a round trip of over 300kms and our average speed was over 90kph without breaking the speed limit too much Guess i've got far too much time on my hands working out nonsense like that
Old Aug 24th 2003, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by TIZUS
Just got back from a very late lunch in Mapua at The Smoke house, realy peacefull setting and wondeful views, if I knew how to attach photos I would!

Spent the entire day looking at open homes, same again tomorrow however already fallen in love with at least two properties!!

Tori
That's number one on our list of "must eat" places when we're in Nelson next month, so I'd love to see the pics if you can get them up.

Those open home things - is it a matter of just turning up and walking in? I doubt we'll have much time to look at houses as it's basically a holiday, but it would be cool to see inside some Kiwi homes. There's only so much you can glean from the internet listings.

Cheers,
John
Old Aug 25th 2003, 10:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally posted by jseni01d
That's number one on our list of "must eat" places when we're in Nelson next month, so I'd love to see the pics if you can get them up.

Those open home things - is it a matter of just turning up and walking in? I doubt we'll have much time to look at houses as it's basically a holiday, but it would be cool to see inside some Kiwi homes. There's only so much you can glean from the internet listings.

Cheers,
John
Sorry can't work out how to attach photo!
As for the open homes yes you just turn up, on Friday the property paper comes out in it is a full listing if all open homes and times.
Cheers
Tori
Old Aug 25th 2003, 10:44 am
Forum Regular

sully4441 is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TIZUS

Cause you can. select Browse at the bottom of page just above Submit. Select where the picy is on your hardrive. select open and hurrahh. But make sure the piccy is no bigger than about 600 x 400 pixals or less or it takes an age to load.LMS
Old Aug 25th 2003, 1:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE]Originally posted by sully4441

Cause you can. select Browse at the bottom of page just above Submit. Select where the picy is on your hardrive. select open and hurrahh. But make sure the piccy is no bigger than about 600 x 400 pixals or less or it takes an age to load.LMS
Giving it a go now cheers!
Attached Thumbnails NZ - the good and the bad-dscn1707.jpg  
Old Aug 25th 2003, 1:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry about that....how do I change the pixel size????

Tori

PS Can you tell this is new to me!!
Old Aug 25th 2003, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hmmmm hope this one worked???
Attached Thumbnails NZ - the good and the bad-dscn1707_edited.jpg  
Old Aug 25th 2003, 1:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

so sorry......I give up I will wait for the expert to get home!!
Old Aug 25th 2003, 7:37 pm
Forum Regular

jseni01d is an unknown quantity at this point

so sorry......I give up I will wait for the expert to get home!!
I can see that one fine. Looks nice and rustic.

Can't wait to get over there... alas only for 2 weeks.

Cheers,
John
Old Aug 25th 2003, 9:41 pm
NZ bound Jan 04

monkeyman1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by jseni01d
I can see that one fine. Looks nice and rustic.

Can't wait to get over there... alas only for 2 weeks.

Cheers,
John
John we have just come back after 2 wks, really is not enough you know time flies when...

On a positive note is does make you thirsty for more.

Steve