A reply to some of the questions:
Useful stuff, thanks again,

Gra..
Old Aug 20th 2003, 9:55 am
BE Forum Addict

Wilf is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Bladesman
A reply to some of the questions:

The holiday entitlement, I did get 27 days back in the UK. It has gone down to 15 (which increases to 20 after 5yrs service??) I think that we get 3 more stats than in the uk though. I am a research scientist and do a 40 hour week, everyone else that I know also dose a 40 hour week so i think that to say that the office hours are 37.5 may be a little misleading.
The racism that I spoke about is directed at all asians, there is genuine hostility and resentment towards the asian population of Auckland. They are blamed for most things, driving too fast, putting house prices up anything really. It is the most unpleasant aspect of our time here so far. When you reply to agents that you think that they are being racist they look at you in disbelief. It is not seen as racist here, I have had to bite my lip a few times with comments that I have heard.
The day care is much cheaper than in the UK. My little boy does not go full time. He attends an Auckland assosiation(similar to council run) kindy 3 afternoons a week and this costs $7.50 per week. The cost is $140 for a full week, 8-5 mon - fri, in a decent private kindy.
15 degrees feels like........15 degrees. When the sun shines it feels good, when it rains it is not so good. I have now been here for the worst weather apparently and we have had 2 or 3 frosts. I have had to put on a coat due to the cold only once. But due to the rain many times. It does rain very heavily at times but I would say that the actual time spent raining is definitely less than in the UK (rose tinted glasses??). We have made do with sweatshirts and sweaters. I have also cycled to work daily and wear shorts, so it does not get a s cold as blighty.

From what I understand, you only get your 3 weeks holiday in office jobs and such like after working one year, so for the first year on the job you get not a day of holiday beyond public holidays. That is not like the UK where you get 5 weeks holiday (or whatever you are entitled to, depending on how much of the year has already gone by) straight away in office jobs do you not? I am not sure if you pointed this out, but if not then people may want to know that too.

Overall, Auckland weather is not as good as even London weather in my opinion. It pisses down like someone is throwing buckets out of the window and when it warms up it is often very sweaty. The summer sun is harsh and burns quickly rather than just warms and sun cream and sunglasses are necessary even just for walking around if you want to avoid skin cancer and cataracts in later life. If you plan to be in Auckland for a long time and make it your home, I would advise you to be careful with the sun there.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Bladesman, I don't think you've been their long enough to understand the term Pakis, it's refering to YOU not Asians. It's a Maori term for whites and lots of broadcasts use it (think its spelt Pakas or similiar). You don't hear it much in converstion but often on radio and tv. Maybe it includes asians as well, just a Maori word for Non maori.
Other than that pretty good description of the country.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

Gra.B is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Bladesman, I don't think you've been their long enough to understand the term Pakis, it's refering to YOU not Asians
Ah...good point, heard that before somewhere. Perhaps I should add it to my language course!
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:50 am
Just Joined

Bladesman is an unknown quantity at this point

Kiwipaul, no they are not referring to pakeha. I know what you are saying, but I am talking about blatant racism. In the context that it is used, it could not be refering to pakeha, but only to the aisan community. i.e. the pakis all drive subaru's?? etc etc
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:54 am
Just Joined

The term actually means white pigs in maori and is a term for white european decendents, not asians
Old Aug 20th 2003, 10:57 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul, no they are not referring to pakeha. I know what you are saying, but I am talking about blatant racism. In the context that it is used, it could not be refering to pakeha, but only to the aisan community. i.e. the pakis all drive subaru's?? etc etc

You are right and it is the same in Oz. They are backward countries and stuck in the 70s compared to the UK. Although it is good if you never forget that it is rude and don't let it turn you into one with their backward attitudes, you do "get used it" because you hear it so much. After a while, you will be calling yourself a pom just to take the chance away from kiwis and ozzies of using it. Just act like you are back in 1975 and it all makes more sense. Oz and NZ will catch up with the rest of the world in the end. Well, you never know, they might.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 11:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Kiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to beholdKiwipaul is a splendid one to behold

Your right Pakeha is the word I'm thinking of (me spelling is hopeless), I thought it refered to All non Maoris as it was used so frequently. Maybe things have changed since I was last their 3 years ago.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Originally posted by Kiwipaul
Your right Pakeha is the word I'm thinking of (me spelling is hopeless), I thought it refered to All non Maoris as it was used so frequently. Maybe things have changed since I was last their 3 years ago.
I think from speaking to people in and around Auckland that they are feeling submerged by the influx of the aisan community into Auckland, probably in the last few years. This results in what would be termed as racism in the UK but seems to be accepted here.
It is still a great place to live. I think that Wilf is a little pessamistic, but I have not been here in the summer yet.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 11:52 am
BE Forum Addict

I think from speaking to people in and around Auckland that they are feeling submerged by the influx of the aisan community into Auckland, probably in the last few years. This results in what would be termed as racism in the UK but seems to be accepted here.
It is still a great place to live. I think that Wilf is a little pessamistic, but I have not been here in the summer yet.

If you are looking for people who agree that the estate agents are racist for knocking the asians you are on the wrong site. Have a look around the archive and you will be quite surprised how much people here are scared of all sorts of immigrants even though they are going to be immigrants themselves. The way people talk about immos here you would think they were in the national front. There was even a poll a while back to see who was going to Oz and NZ because they did not like immigrants coming into the UK and there were loads of people who admitted that was the case. It seems that Oz and Nz are magnets for racists who seem them as all white havens. How deluded they are.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

arthurm is an unknown quantity at this point

Love it or loathe it, the Kiwis are being honest in expressing a view held by most British people about non-white immigration.

In Britain, many people are intimidated by the liberal media into being fearful of expressing their true opinions. Actions speak louder than words, however, and figures from the most recent UK census show that there is a drift of white people in Britain from multi-cultural areas to essentially mono-cultural (all-white) areas. I see the BBC has reported that immigration has now overtaken even crime as the issue of most concern to people in the UK.

At the end of the day, most people are not wickedly racist, wishing evil on people of different colours and cultures. Most people are, however, (and I include myself here), more comfortable in general living amongst other people who are of similar background and who share similar beliefs, values and culture.

In New Zealand you can still say this without being branded evil. In the UK you CAN'T say it - you can just think it - the way most British people do.
Old Aug 20th 2003, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

Absolutely. A number of Kiwi's go onto me about immigrants, and when I gently point out that I'm an immigrant they say "I don't mean people like you!"
Old Aug 20th 2003, 5:21 pm
Forum Regular

Akaubear is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm in the BOP so I can give a first-hand account of our wonderful beaches & weather (but then I'm biased!)

Weather: It's pretty similar to what Tori said about Nelson really, minus the frosts (we've had about 6 this "winter", which is, apparently, a lot higher than normal). I haven't worn, and don't actually own, a winter coat. And as Bladesman said, it does rain - quite heavily. But then I'd much rather that than the drizzle you get in the UK.

Beaches: Ahhhh...... Again as Tori said, they get used a lot here in the Winter - but for dog walking/jogging/power walking/surfing (not by me - I hasten to add!) There is nothing I like better than to sit on the beach contemplating life

Nicola.

Originally posted by friertuck
Lifestyle

Hi
can anyone tell me do the beaches in NZ get used alot in the winter months? Hopefully we should be heading for BOP late next year. I'm going out there on Friday to look at businesses and show some commitment. Great to hear from someone who's actually in NZ for first hand information. Also I know the temperature is hovering around 15 degree's but how warm does it actually feel?
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:28 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Wilf

Overall, Auckland weather is not as good as even London weather in my opinion. It pisses down like someone is throwing buckets out of the window and when it warms up it is often very sweaty. The summer sun is harsh and burns quickly rather than just warms and sun cream and sunglasses are necessary even just for walking around if you want to avoid skin cancer and cataracts in later life. If you plan to be in Auckland for a long time and make it your home, I would advise you to be careful with the sun there.
On the whole I do not like the Auckland weather. I find it too hot and muggy in the summer, and truth be told it rains too much. On the other hand it is probably quite nice and mild in the winter.

My wife and I are temperate people, and love the seasons that you get in places like England and in southern parts of NZ.

A perfect day can be a frosty autumn or winter morning, followed by a crisp clear blue sky day, much like Tori is experiencing. And sometimes it is all the better if you have had bad weather, and a then a nice day comes along. Anyone else feel that way?
Old Aug 20th 2003, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

jajpe is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by southerner
On the whole I do not like the Auckland weather. I find it too hot and muggy in the summer, and truth be told it rains too much. On the other hand it is probably quite nice and mild in the winter.

My wife and I are temperate people, and love the seasons that you get in places like England and in southern parts of NZ.

A perfect day can be a frosty autumn or winter morning, followed by a crisp clear blue sky day, much like Tori is experiencing. And sometimes it is all the better if you have had bad weather, and a then a nice day comes along. Anyone else feel that way?
Yep, have to say I agree with you there southerner we also like frosty nights and crisp sunny days - anything with less rain is good!(hence Christchurch is our destination!) We also have this notion that it might be healthier for us too, to be in a temperate climate since that is what we are used to -although I have no complaints about it being a degree or 2 warmer most of the year of course!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.