Nurses gallore

Old Oct 31st 2006, 5:53 pm
Forum Regular

Firth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really niceFirth4oz is just really nice
Smile Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by annqldau
I don't but I'm a community/hospital link nurse.
Sorry to butt in your thread - but hopefully, when we get to oz i really fancy a change in my career and have thinking of training as a nurse.

I know there is a uni in Queensland near Kangaroo Point but when i looked at the entry qualifications that were needed - confused - was not the word!!!!!

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction......

Diane
ps. i would be what they call a "mature student"
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:27 pm
Tiger Barker

tigerbarker is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by Firth4oz
Sorry to butt in your thread - but hopefully, when we get to oz i really fancy a change in my career and have thinking of training as a nurse.

I know there is a uni in Queensland near Kangaroo Point but when i looked at the entry qualifications that were needed - confused - was not the word!!!!!

Just wondering if anyone could point me in the right direction......

Diane
ps. i would be what they call a "mature student"
Hi Diane

Try Stefan from Study Options www.studyoptions.co.uk he has helped me to get a place as a mature student on a Nursing degree.

kind regards
Christine
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by rob&lucy
This does amuse me considering there was a quote in the paper along the lines of ' UK trained nurses and midwives are not up to Australian standards, they often cannot perform simple tasks such as catheterisation etc. However we are confident they will jump at the chance to come to Cairns'.

The issue of UK training made me mad but it was the back handed compliment that got me. Good old Queensland Health never fails does it
Australian officals never fail to amaze do they!
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Rosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Cheeks has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big Galah
...and then reality will kick in and they'll start going home October thro' to August.

Very funny, exactly what I was thinking
Old Oct 31st 2006, 8:45 pm
...feeling hot hot hot!!!

wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of

intrigued about why you think we'll turn round and go home, would someone care to enlighten me
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:35 pm
Bix
da Bonehead

Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wannabauzzienurse
intrigued about why you think we'll turn round and go home, would someone care to enlighten me
Me too
Old Oct 31st 2006, 10:04 pm

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bix
Me too
Actually Cairns would be on our second choice list of places to live still despite the humidity.

Would agree if you can get a PR go for it and most nurses not just out of training and over 45 should scrape enough points for one. I liked the freedom of a PR and the fact you could come here and sell Big Mac's instead if you wanted (although I didn't sink that low and stuck to nursing).

Rumour has it in QLD if you have nursing you can convert to teaching on a fast track 1 yr course if you so wish, which I don't.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 5:04 am
Extended Member

Big Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond reputeBig Galah has a reputation beyond repute

The impression I get is that they've been "enticed" over – as opposed to people who've made the decision to come without job offers and give it a go (like lots of people here, me included).

I can imagine the thought of leaving Blighty to go live somewhere like Cairns sounds (and looks) great, but having been there, I get the impression the novelty would wear off very quickly.

This struck me as an ideal "study group", and it would be very interesting to see the statistics for the 150 in terms of:

- How many of the 150 who originally accept offers would actually go
- How many of those that arrived would still be working as nurses in Cairns a year later

Call me cynical, but I'm guessing the "dropout rate" would be higher than the average who hightail it back home because they miss their old way of life.

Big.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 5:09 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carryon
Bloody hell Renth, my wifes a nurse and this is'nt true of her!!! When i want a bit i have to practically beg
thats funny, i didnt have that problem with her
Old Nov 1st 2006, 6:16 am

annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big Galah
The impression I get is that they've been "enticed" over – as opposed to people who've made the decision to come without job offers and give it a go (like lots of people here, me included).

I can imagine the thought of leaving Blighty to go live somewhere like Cairns sounds (and looks) great, but having been there, I get the impression the novelty would wear off very quickly.

This struck me as an ideal "study group", and it would be very interesting to see the statistics for the 150 in terms of:

- How many of the 150 who originally accept offers would actually go
- How many of those that arrived would still be working as nurses in Cairns a year later

Call me cynical, but I'm guessing the "dropout rate" would be higher than the average who hightail it back home because they miss their old way of life.

Big.
Suppose it would be similar to expats who came cold to Aus and turn round and go back without giving it a true go.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
At the risk of sounding sexist but do Aussie nurses wear sexier uniforms than that of their British counterparts ??
In Cairns the uniform is a bikini and sandals.

The summer uniform is quite different, u need a brolly as well.

WW
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light

I think people like your good self and us are the exception in the 150 in that you have lived there briefly and we have been to oz albeit Melbourne (hot) and have also been to Singapore (humid & hot) so know something of what to expect.
We have looked at all cities in oz over the last 3 years and decided Cairns was where we liked the look of, providing we could both find work there.
To be fair, we've never been there just like most of the 150 so we'll see how it goes.
The good thing is, we have PR so if we don't like it / can't handle the humidity we can go to choice no.2 - brisbane. Again, with the shortage of nurses in QLD in general, maybe they can go to brisbane but will have to sort out a new 457 I believe.
I think quite a few will return to the uk but fair play to them for giving it a go - that's what we're all doing isn't it ?

Andy

Last edited by cadman; Nov 1st 2006 at 9:07 am.
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

wanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to beholdwanderingwombat is a splendid one to behold

Hi andy, yeah I went to seminar and had interview in worcester in sept, I don't qualify till end of jan and have to sell house and organise visa so don't think we'll get there much before june. what do you if you don't mind me asking? my OH is carpenter but without formal qualifications not sure how employable he will be.
in the news paper report i read it said the comments were made by an australian nurse who now works in the UK, oh well we'll have to prove her wrong
Given the current level of building work the OH shouldnt have a problem.

WW
Old Nov 1st 2006, 8:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Is it all expenses paid? Flights, accomodation, removal expenses?
Are you tied to them for a certain time? Could you turn around and leave the job if you wanted to?
Old Nov 1st 2006, 9:13 am
BE Enthusiast

geordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond reputegeordiebloke has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cadman
Wife qualifies in march next year. We have had our PR since Jan 04 but decided to stay while she did her nurse training.

I'm a cad draughtsman (produce civil/structural drawings on a computer e.g. steel and concrete buildings etc.) so can't help on the chippying front. I know someone there who is an estimator for a shop fitting firm. would that be the sort of thing your OH might be interested in ?

Andy
Andy, just wandering, you say that you've had your PR since Jan 04.
Have you been able to sit on this until you were ready to go to Oz, or
have you had to update it ie. does it not run out after a certain period
of time ?

Cheers

Steve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.