Nurses gallore

Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:18 am
  #16  
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,066
annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by rob&lucy
This does amuse me considering there was a quote in the paper along the lines of ' UK trained nurses and midwives are not up to Australian standards, they often cannot perform simple tasks such as catheterisation etc. However we are confident they will jump at the chance to come to Cairns'.

The issue of UK training made me mad but it was the back handed compliment that got me. Good old Queensland Health never fails does it
I can only talk about QLD nursing. Apart from the fact that you have to be a Masters to do Nurse Prescribing here (so your UK one will lapse in QLD anyhow) I would say UK nurses were far more autonomous. Enrolled Nurses here treated like UK Axillary Nurses/Health Care Assistants. A lot of RN's here don't do catheters and supra pubic catheters or even cannula/take bloods which is mostly common practice in UK. However there are courses available if you want to do those things.

You have to pay for a lot of the longer Uni courses here but I hear the UK is going that way as well now.

That said don't regret coming and nursing is still a good job to have here.
annqldau is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:38 am
  #17  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 29,154
CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by stuckinblighty
At the risk of sounding sexist but do Aussie nurses wear sexier uniforms than that of their British counterparts ??

We nurses in Melbourne don't wear uniforms either..
CasG is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:43 am
  #18  
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,066
annqldau is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by CasG
We nurses in Melbourne don't wear uniforms either..
I don't but I'm a community/hospital link nurse.
annqldau is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 7:49 am
  #19  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 29,154
CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by annqldau
I don't but I'm a community/hospital link nurse.
I'm a psych nurse...and none of us wear uniform.
Also been in general hospital/done 'specials' on surgical ward...and those nurses don't either..


Sorry to shatter the illusions of certain members of the board
CasG is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:19 am
  #20  
Bix
da Bonehead
Thread Starter
 
Bix's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Lion in da jungle
Posts: 22,767
Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by CasG
I'm a psych nurse...and none of us wear uniform.
Also been in general hospital/done 'specials' on surgical ward...and those nurses don't either..


Sorry to shatter the illusions of certain members of the board


If there's one thing I love more than a nurse in uniform, it's a nurse with no uniform on
Bix is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:24 am
  #21  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 29,154
CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by Bix
If there's one thing I love more than a nurse in uniform, it's a nurse with no uniform on
CasG is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:26 am
  #22  
BE Forum Addict
 
cadman's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Hot sunny Cairns !
Posts: 1,012
cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by Big Galah
...and then reality will kick in and they'll start going home October thro' to August.
I must admit we did wonder how these people will cope. The seminar we attended was all PR with little or no mention of the humidity, the visa type and it's implications - 457 working visa initially etc. etc. (public relations rather than permanent residency !)
having had our visas for 3 years and researched oz and where to live it did seem like "hey, we've been made redundant here, let's go to oz ! what's that? cairns ? yep, that'll do ! (where's cairns?) "

I'm sure most of them will be fine but not sure that most of them understood the 457 visa and it's implications. Oh if only JAJ was there !

andy
cadman is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:28 am
  #23  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 29,154
CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by cadman
I must admit we did wonder how these people will cope. The seminar we attended was all PR with little or no mention of the humidity, the visa type and it's implications - 457 working visa initially etc. etc. (public relations rather than permanent residency !)
having had our visas for 3 years and researched oz and where to live it did seem like "hey, we've been made redundant here, let's go to oz ! what's that? cairns ? yep, that'll do ! (where's cairns?) "

I'm sure most of them will be fine but not sure that most of them understood the 457 visa and it's implications. Oh if only JAJ was there !

andy
I could tell you a few home truths about the 457

But thankfully..have PR now
CasG is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:34 am
  #24  
Bix
da Bonehead
Thread Starter
 
Bix's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Lion in da jungle
Posts: 22,767
Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by CasG
I could tell you a few home truths about the 457

But thankfully..have PR now
Aye Cas.

But sometimes it's a means to an end as it was for us.
Bix is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:39 am
  #25  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Posts: 29,154
CasG is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by Bix
Aye Cas.

But sometimes it's a means to an end as it was for us.
Yes...that is true
CasG is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:46 am
  #26  
BE Forum Addict
 
cadman's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2003
Location: Hot sunny Cairns !
Posts: 1,012
cadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of lightcadman is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Nurses gallore

sure bix. I have a mate who's gone to perth on a 457 cos he's over the age limit for PR andtherefore is the only way he could get in.

what worried me was that people at the seminar were asking what a 457 was and if they didn't like it in cairns, could they just go somewhere else in oz?
The reply was "er,,,,sure,,,,,providing you can get another health authority/agency to sponsor you for another 457"
I'm thinking "that may not be as easy as it sounds !"

The fact that they offer $3k relocation is great but the fact that it is spread over the first 18 months you are there says it all ! $1k after 6 mths, $1k after 12 months, $1k after 18 months.

I just get the feeling that a lot of these people are jumping at the chance to work in cairns with little or no knowledge of the visa options or the climate, and fair play to them who wouldn't after being made redundant and little prospect of work in uk?

andy
cadman is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 9:53 am
  #27  
Bix
da Bonehead
Thread Starter
 
Bix's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: Lion in da jungle
Posts: 22,767
Bix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond reputeBix has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by cadman
sure bix. I have a mate who's gone to perth on a 457 cos he's over the age limit for PR andtherefore is the only way he could get in.

what worried me was that people at the seminar were asking what a 457 was and if they didn't like it in cairns, could they just go somewhere else in oz?
The reply was "er,,,,sure,,,,,providing you can get another health authority/agency to sponsor you for another 457"
I'm thinking "that may not be as easy as it sounds !"

The fact that they offer $3k relocation is great but the fact that it is spread over the first 18 months you are there says it all ! $1k after 6 mths, $1k after 12 months, $1k after 18 months.

I just get the feeling that a lot of these people are jumping at the chance to work in cairns with little or no knowledge of the visa options or the climate, and fair play to them who wouldn't after being made redundant and little prospect of work in uk?

andy

Yep, not disagreeing with you Andy.

I am often resurrecting an old thread where I posted a long list of "considerations" for those looking at the 457 visa.

I always recommend they try to get a PR before coming (like JAJ) but in the real world it is not always possible or practicle. In those cases I would like those people to at least be aware of the pitfalls.

I was like your mate and it worked out for me.
Bix is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 5:19 pm
  #28  
...feeling hot hot hot!!!
 
wannabauzzienurse's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Cairns
Posts: 935
wannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud ofwannabauzzienurse has much to be proud of
Default Re: Nurses gallore

I don't think moving to cairns or anywhere in australia is the sort off thing people enter into without serious consideration even if you have been made redundant (i'm not redundant, still a student).
yes it's a 457 but they will sponsor for a rsms visa after 6 months (and yes i'm aware of the restrictions of that as well) 136 is not an option for many people.
can't speak for the other 149 recruits but i've lived in cairns briefly before i'm familiar with the climate etc and i'm looking forward to getting back there next year
wannabauzzienurse is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 6:32 pm
  #29  
pink 'n' bouncy
 
stuckinblighty's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Zombie nation
Posts: 6,087
stuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond reputestuckinblighty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by CasG
We nurses in Melbourne don't wear uniforms either..
wow Cas .... nude nurses !!!! Aussie ROCKS !!!!!!!!
stuckinblighty is offline  
Old Oct 31st 2006, 6:41 pm
  #30  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Nov 2003
Location: essex
Posts: 145
carryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura aboutcarryon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Nurses gallore

Originally Posted by renth
Heard a good nurse joke at the weekend.

Q: What's the difference between a nurse and a ladder?









A: Not everyone's been up a ladder!
Bloody hell Renth, my wifes a nurse and this is'nt true of her!!! When i want a bit i have to practically beg
carryon is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.